Looking for a reasonably priced 24+ port gigabit switch

krisjacko

Hey! 

Moving into a new place and renovating - I want ethernet all around, so 24 + ports.

I live in Australia, any suggestions on what's best bang for buck?

Thanks in advance :)

2 minutes ago, krisjacko said:

Hey! 

Moving into a new place and renovating - I want ethernet all around, so 24 + ports.

I live in Australia, any suggestions on what's best bang for buck?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Do you want a managed or unmanaged, POE or non POE? Give some more info pls. 🙂

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

2 minutes ago, BoxTurtle said:

Do you want a managed or unmanaged, POE or non POE? Give some more info pls. 🙂

Unmanaged, and I'm unsure whether or not I'll actually need PoE - a lot of the smart home stuff I have doesn't need it, and I can always get injectors after the fact? What are your thoughts on it?

On 6/4/2021 at 11:30 PM, krisjacko said:

Unmanaged, and I'm unsure whether or not I'll actually need PoE - a lot of the smart home stuff I have doesn't need it, and I can always get injectors after the fact? What are your thoughts on it?

Sorry I am not replying till now but I would it just depend on whether you need poe or not. Poe switches can be much more expensive than non-poe. For example a 26 port gigabit switch is around 90 dollors but one with poe is like upwards of 220 so its your choice. 

It depends on whether you want to spend or the money and if you actually need a poe switch. If you don't really need poe a poe switch then don't get one. But if you have a lot of poe devices then maybe thats a option. 

Running a extra cord to power your devices can be annoying but if you don't really mind the extra cable then maybe just get a non-poe switch and if you still want the device to be poe powered buy a poe injector like you said. The main thing is how much money you are willing to spend. 

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

On 6/7/2021 at 10:26 AM, BoxTurtle said:

Sorry I am not replying till now but I would it just depend on whether you need poe or not. Poe switches can be much more expensive than non-poe. For example a 26 port gigabit switch is around 90 dollors but one with poe is like upwards of 220 so its your choice. 

It depends on whether you want to spend or the money and if you actually need a poe switch. If you don't really need poe a poe switch then don't get one. But if you have a lot of poe devices then maybe thats a option. 

Running a extra cord to power your devices can be annoying but if you don't really mind the extra cable then maybe just get a non-poe switch and if you still want the device to be poe powered buy a poe injector like you said. The main thing is how much money you are willing to spend. 

Hi again! Yes, I guess that non-PoE should absolutely be fine to go with. Extra cables aren't too big an issue!

I don't know too much about which brands are best - have you got any suggestions?

I'd suggest buying one with at least a couple of SFP+  (10gbps) optical ports.  

There's loads of such switched pulled from datacenters, as they upgrade to 10g ports or higher. 

Buy some good refurbished/new old stock, it can be better than new unmanaged stuff. 

For example here's a 48 port gigabit switch for $89 though shipping to Australia may be expensive : https://www.unixplus.com/collections/network-switches/products/refurbished-brocade-foundry-fastiron-ls-648-48-port-10-100-1000-switch-fls648

14 hours ago, krisjacko said:

Hi again! Yes, I guess that non-PoE should absolutely be fine to go with. Extra cables aren't too big an issue!

I don't know too much about which brands are best - have you got any suggestions?

The three brands I would definitely recommend switches from are Netgear, TP-Link and Cisco.