When charging my dead iPad with an ATX PSU, the wires got very hot. Why?

I connected the 5V rail of the PSU to the VCC of the stripped USB cable (I cut the USB end and left the Lightning end), and GND to GND. The iPad itself was unaffected and showed a charging icon. What rail can I use instead of the 5V rail?

I highly doubt this is safe and recommend disconnecting it all.

The geek himself.

Just now, President Dawson Wehage said:

maybe cause its a computer power supply of how many watts?

It can produce up to 165 W on the 5V rail, which I am using to charge. 

First of all, why the hell are you trying to charge an ipad with an ATX PSU? Sounds like when I charged my iphone 3gs off of a guitar amp filter capacitor as a joke one day. The ipad's usb cable I assume wouldn't be rated above 10 watts. I would recommend disconnecting it unless you have no other option.

1 hour ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

First of all, why the hell are you trying to charge an ipad with an ATX PSU? Sounds like when I charged my iphone 3gs off of a guitar amp filter capacitor as a joke one day. The ipad's usb cable I assume wouldn't be rated above 10 watts. I would recommend disconnecting it unless you have no other option.

So does the newer iPhones still charge from a USB-C Cable? In which case why not just buy one from a Gas Station or 7-11?

6 hours ago, whm1974 said:

So does the newer iPhones still charge from a USB-C Cable? In which case why not just buy one from a Gas Station or 7-11?

The newer iPhones charge from a lightning connector. And this was with an old one to see if it would work.