Tripping my power breaker with one GPU

Basically as the title says, I am trying to mine on my computer but I keep tripping the power breaker for the room, I've only got the ceiling fan and my computer running so I don't understand the issue

can anyone shed some light on this?

Specs:

x570m pro4

ryzen 3500x

GTX Titan X pascal

16gb ddr4 3600mhz dual channel

650w Seasonic PSU

are you on a multi-socket or plugged directly into the wall?

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Just now, Acid Panda said:

are you on a multi-socket or plugged directly into the wall?

power cord doesn't reach completely to the wall so its plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into the wall

Just now, 0591ryan said:

power cord doesn't reach completely to the wall so its plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into the wall

try removing the surge protector see if it works

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

First, when you say breaker, you don't mean surge protector/power bar or do you mean breaker at the electrical panel?

Second, circuits are not usually confined to one room. and are often spread across the living space so that an increased load doesnt trip the breaker or blow a fuse. Is there anything else running on the same circuit?

Also, if a single computer on the this might be of concern that there could be an issue with your wiring or electrical panel and breaker, where excessive but within spec current draw could be throwing a breaker. There could also be issues with the power bar that is somehow causing the breaker to be set off.

Just now, Ertman said:

First, when you say breaker, you don't mean surge protector or power bar?

Second, circuits are not usually confined to one room. and are often spread across the living space so that an increased load doesnt trip the breaker or blow a fuse. Is there anything else running on the same circuit?

Also, if a single computer on the this might be of concern that there could be an issue with your wiring or electrical panel and breaker, where excessive but within spec current draw could be throwing a breaker.

nope, I mean at the breaker box, its just the breaker for the room it is in and it happens overnight when nothing else is really running so my computer is the only load on the circuit

2 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

try removing the surge protector see if it works

I'll try that

2 minutes ago, Ertman said:

First, when you say breaker, you don't mean surge protector or power bar?

Also, if a single computer on the this might be of concern that there could be an issue with your wiring or electrical panel and breaker, where excessive but within spec current draw could be throwing a breaker.

the odd thing is that I've been doing this for months with no issue

12 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

Specs:

x570m pro4

ryzen 3500x

GTX Titan X pascal

16gb ddr4 3600mhz dual channel

650w Seasonic PSU

Are you in the US? Most US outlets can push 15 amps at 120 volts, so 1800 watts. Your 650 watt PSU, assuming it was even being used all the way (which it isn't on your current hardware) would still be just over a third of that. You might have other devices on one breaker that you should investigate, make sure you're not sharing with a refrigerator or space heater or something.

It is also possible that you have a bad breaker.

Edited by Fasauceome
math oopsie

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Are you in the US? Most US outlets can push 15 amps at 12 volts, so 1800 watts. Your 650 watt PSU, assuming it was even being used all the way (which it isn't on your current hardware) would still be just over a third of that. You might have other devices on one breaker that you should investigate, make sure you're not sharing with a refrigerator or space heater or something.

those are all on separate circuits, I live in an apartment which may contribute in some way, I'm not going to mine at all until I can figure this out, I have no interest in a house fire

Edit: I should clarify that they are on separate breakers which I assume to mean different circuits

Edited by 0591ryan

if it keeps tripping like you say then you have a wiring issue in the wall or the breaker is bad. either way its an unsafe electrical environment and you need to talk to the landlord about getting an electrician to inspect it and fix whatever the issue is.

When breakers trip it is usually due to a circuit drawing too much power or a short in the line. If you have been doing this for a while and it recently started tripping then you likely have a short happening somewhere when the line gets too warm. In apartments often times you will see they don't build them to code to save money it is illegal but it still happens. If they used a smaller gauge wire than they were supposed to you are at risk of starting a fire. Or the outlet they installed was done poorly and there is a loose connection causing a short that is tripping the breaker. A lot of time lazy electricians will install outlets using the strip and push spot instead of the terminal lugs on the side. well those strip and push spots are super convenient but they have been known to cause fires and shorts if they outlet is used too much. Also the outlet could be a shitty one and the spring of the connectors for your power cable could be lose and that could cause a short that is tripping the breaker.

Regardless of what the issue is if you NEED to have your landlord get a proper electrician out there and get it fixed. Also since you seem to be using everything within spec you should NOT be liable for any cost associated with this issue. Now if you were doing something wrong like overloading the line then yeah its all on you, but you're not so they need to pay for the diag and repair.