3D print lifting corner

shinegull
Go to solution Solved by elpiop,

I use elmer's glue stick, but I don't think it matters. I usually just apply it under the entire surface I'm going to print. Makes it a little harder to get the finished print off sometimes but keeps it stuck down.  You can also try adding a brim in your slicer, it might help with adhesion as well

Was wondering what methods I could use if the corner of the print is lifting a little. I am printing on a glass bed, as thats what came with the printer.

Just now, elpiop said:

glue stick

any particular kind of glue? and do i just rub it on the glass before printing?

I use elmer's glue stick, but I don't think it matters. I usually just apply it under the entire surface I'm going to print. Makes it a little harder to get the finished print off sometimes but keeps it stuck down.  You can also try adding a brim in your slicer, it might help with adhesion as well

1 minute ago, elpiop said:

I use elmer's glue stick, but I don't think it matters. I usually just apply it under the entire surface I'm going to print. Makes it a little harder to get the finished print off sometimes but keeps it stuck down.  You can also try printing with a brim in your slicer, it might help with adhesion as well

ill try the brim thing first, at least until i can find stick of glue. ( im not even sure whens the last ive seen a stick of glue)

for the brim, how do i remove it after?

2 minutes ago, shinegull said:

ill try the brim thing first, at least until i can find stick of glue. ( im not even sure whens the last ive seen a stick of glue)

for the brim, how do i remove it after?

It should just rip off easily since brim is usually just 1 layer. But you can use plastic snips (or whatever you use to cut the filament with) if you need to 

It should just rip off easily since brim is usually just 1 layer. But you can use plastic snips (or whatever you use to cut the filament with) if you need to 

got it, ill try it on the next batch

Just now, shinegull said:

got it, ill try it on the next batch

Also cleaning the glass plate with isopropyl alcohol before printing should improve adhesion. If you are using glue you might want to clean it after the print too (I sometimes leave mine for a few prints but clean if it there is a lot on there)

Also cleaning the glass plate with isopropyl alcohol before printing should improve adhesion. If you are using glue you might want to clean it after the print too (I sometimes leave mine for a few prints but clean if it there is a lot on there)

got it, print with brim, clean with alcohol before every print

1 minute ago, shinegull said:

got it, print with brim, clean with alcohol before every print

Yup, also obviously having the bed leveled correctly is the first thing I would make sure of, but the glue kinda helps make up for it if it's close and just the corner is not sticking. 

I've personally had luck by cleaning the surface thoroughly with alcohol and then applying a couple coats of hairspray

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

13 minutes ago, Xaring said:

I've personally had luck by cleaning the surface thoroughly with alcohol and then applying a couple coats of hairspray

hairspray... yea never touched that in my life. ill try the glue and hairspray if the brim doesnt work.

out of curiosity, which is easier to clean? hairspray or glue.

2 minutes ago, shinegull said:

hairspray... yea never touched that in my life. ill try the glue and hairspray if the brim doesnt work.

out of curiosity, which is easier to clean? hairspray or glue.

hairspray all the way XD 
Glue is somewhat messy if you're not careful applying... hairspray is just a thin coat of "ultra thin powder", its what you use on your hair to "fix it", think the typical Granny" or "Karen" hairdo, it comes off with water. 🙂

Edit: The alcohol clean is to remove old hairspray and any dust/debris that might affect the first layer. I don't use my printer for weeks at end so dust can become an issue.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

30 minutes ago, elpiop said:

Yup, also obviously having the bed leveled correctly is the first thing I would make sure of, but the glue kinda helps make up for it if it's close and just the corner is not sticking. 

i did the bed leveling with paper thing like 4 times just to be sure its an ender 3 v2, either it doesnt have the auto bed leveling, or im blind and an idiot. ( that is actually very possible. if it does have auto bed leveling, please tell me!)

10 hours ago, shinegull said:

i did the bed leveling with paper thing like 4 times just to be sure its an ender 3 v2, either it doesnt have the auto bed leveling, or im blind and an idiot. ( that is actually very possible. if it does have auto bed leveling, please tell me!)

I have the same printer. It doesn't have auto bed levelling. One upgrade you can do is to buy stiffer springs (I use these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088PBMLNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). You won't have to re-level your bed nearly as often compared to the stock springs. 

If you end up with problems due to leveling I recommend doing a test print (something like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4711071) and manually adjusting each corner while printing to level them. For some reason I'm pretty sure the glass bed that came with mine is not completely flat, so levelling using paper wasn't working for me. 

39 minutes ago, elpiop said:

I have the same printer. It doesn't have auto bed levelling. One upgrade you can do is to buy stiffer springs (I use these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088PBMLNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). You won't have to re-level your bed nearly as often compared to the stock springs. 

If you end up with problems due to leveling I recommend doing a test print (something like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4711071) and manually adjusting each corner while printing to level them. For some reason I'm pretty sure the glass bed that came with mine is not completely flat, so levelling using paper wasn't working for me. 

I'll consider the springs and any further upgrades later on, but ill try out that test leveling print. never even thought about that. always just did the a4 paper thing

12 hours ago, elpiop said:

the alcohol and brim seems to have worked for now.

also how often do i need to relevel the bed?

3 hours ago, shinegull said:

the alcohol and brim seems to have worked for now.

also how often do i need to relevel the bed?

With the stock springs you may need to make minor adjustments every 10 prints or so. There's no real set time frame, so you can just do it whenever you notice a problem. If you're using force with the scraper to get prints off you may need to level more often because that can move the bed slightly