A PC or a Mac (Mini/Air M1 or Whatever is next) - Looking for something that can last at least 5 years or more

Budget (including currency):  CAD 1000 (max)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: New to PC gaming, may be playing Space games like Halo/Multiplayer games etc. Will be running some programming tools, iOS/Android development, PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint basic home office work.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): As of now a really old dual core Dell OptiPlex (Something like the one in The $69 Gaming PC RETURNS). I have a 1080P 75 Hz 27 Inch HP monitor.

I am looking for a machine that can support multiple users account (idiot proof Security wise with low privilege accounts). Looking to get a new PC (build one) or shall I go the Mac Mini sort of machine?

mac not for gaming, but can maybe last for office or production use.

PC parts doesn't last if you want the best.

Console might be an option, but if wanting a gaming pc there are some parts that can be reused.

sadly, there is new tech on the way this year or at the end of it, so buying before that might leave you a generation older... if the new gen is problem free this "early".

3 hours ago, ||HeartBeat|| said:

iOS/Android development,

Unless you want to tinker with Hackintosh (be it in VM or dual boot) you will either have to rent MacOS machine in the cloud or buy one for iOS development... (compile, distribution, good iOS emulator).
If you need something right now the M1 Mac Mini 256GB is enough, 700$, though I personally would add another 200$ and get 16GB Ram instead of 8GB. (since it is not upgradeable).Or if you can wait, then wait for the new M1X? (or whatever they end up calling it) Mini that will come out probably later this year.

3 hours ago, ||HeartBeat|| said:

New to PC gaming, may be playing Space games like Halo/Multiplayer games etc

And you won't be able to do that properly on a Mac...

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

1 hour ago, ||HeartBeat|| said:

Budget (including currency):  CAD 1000 (max)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: New to PC gaming, may be playing Space games like Halo/Multiplayer games etc. Will be running some programming tools, iOS/Android development, PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint basic home office work.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): As of now a really old dual core Dell OptiPlex (Something like the one in The $69 Gaming PC RETURNS). I have a 1080P 75 Hz 27 Inch HP monitor.

I am looking for a machine that can support multiple users account (idiot proof Security wise with low privilege accounts). Looking to get a new PC (build one) or shall I go the Mac Mini sort of machine?

As others have said, get a PC if gaming matters to you. Otherwise, the Mac checks everything you listed. (again, excluding gaming)