New B550 mobo installed, now a problem

jeremymwilson

Just installed a MSI B550 Mortar and I have a  problem.

Flashed the bios to version 1.70.

In the Bios, it sees the 2 drives I have but under settings, nvme self test, I see this - any ideas? 

20210528_130700.jpg

Love not hate

that means that the sandisk 2tb ssd is detected? dont know why are you checking the nvme self test for? I mean just install windows on the nvme and you'll be fine.

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

4 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

that means that the sandisk 2tb ssd is detected? dont know why are you checking the nvme self test for? I mean just install windows on the nvme and you'll be fine.

Windows is already installed on the nvme  drive but the PC just goes straight to the Bios. I also installed a new cpu (6700k -->5800x) but windows should still boot right?

Love not hate

yes it should, if it is going back to the bios then modify the boot order so that the BIOS can know to start booting in the NVME

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

1 minute ago, GorujoCY said:

yes it should, if it is going back to the bios then modify the boot order so that the BIOS can know to start booting in the NVME

The 1st in the boot order is uefi hard disk

Love not hate

Just now, jeremymwilson said:

The 1st in the boot order is uefi hard disk

what? set the nvme on it, then save and exit. if you already did then try force booting the nvme and then it will work eventually? maybe at least but it will work if you follow it

My PC

6 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

what? set the nvme on it, then save and exit. if you already did then try force booting the nvme and then it will work eventually? maybe at least but it will work if you follow it

This is the boot order. It doesn't mention nvme drive, just uefi.

20210528_134836.jpg

20210528_134850.jpg

Love not hate

10 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

And if I click f11 when booting to force boot from the drive it, it doesn't show the installed drives, just prompts me to go into the bios

Love not hate

3 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

This is the boot order. It doesn't mention nvme drive, just uefi.

20210528_134836.jpg

20210528_134850.jpg

weird, try switching your boot or bios mode to the other mode other than uefi, I think this will solve it, and i remember someone had a similar issue and this is how they fixed it.

My PC

weird, try switching your boot or bios mode to the other mode other than uefi, I think this will solve it, and i remember someone had a similar issue and this is how they fixed it.

The select boot mode is greyed out.

You're right, it's weird, never had any problem like this before

Love not hate

1 minute ago, jeremymwilson said:

The select boot mode is greyed out.

You're right, it's weird, never had any problem like this before

right i think it may have 3+ modes, so try all of them and se which one works, also Im pretty sure you can force boot inside the bios.

My PC

4 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

Just found the option i needed. Turned to CSM (legacy) mode. Now it seems to be booting...

Love not hate

Just now, jeremymwilson said:

Just found the option i needed. Turned to CSM (legacy) mode. Now it seems to be booting...

yup i knew there was a third mode that fixes this issue, ive encountered it before wiht a user and turned out to be this. Good job anyways!

My PC

yup i knew there was a third mode that fixes this issue, ive encountered it before wiht a user and turned out to be this. Good job anyways!

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated. This forum is worth its weight in gold

Love not hate