What's a good PSU for an old W98 system?

TwilightLink

Hello!

I recently got a little nostalgic for the "good ol' days" of Windows 98 and was thinking of reviving my old Windows 98 pc, but it has a generic 20 year old PSU so I decided to see if I can get a new one.

I don't want to spedn a lot of money, so will a Seasonic S12III or a Thermaltake BX1 be good enough? I know that they are very low on the tier list, but I don't want to spend a lot of dollars on a PSU (I'm not from the US, so my options are limited).

Thanks for the answers!

19 minutes ago, TwilightLink said:

Hello!

I recently got a little nostalgic for the "good ol' days" of Windows 98 and was thinking of reviving my old Windows 98 pc, but it has a generic 20 year old PSU so I decided to see if I can get a new one.

I don't want to spedn a lot of money, so will a Seasonic S12III or a Thermaltake BX1 be good enough? I know that they are very low on the tier list, but I don't want to spend a lot of dollars on a PSU (I'm not from the US, so my options are limited).

Thanks for the answers!

If the PSU is working, its likely fine... Is there a reason beyond "i want a new one"?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

6 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Your old oem psu is quite adequate for win98.

Thanks for the answer!

But the psu is almost 20 years old and very generic (it's not the original, the original died, which I think it was also a generic one). I don't think it will work for much long, that's why I was searching a new one.

I don't want it to explode or catch fire.

EDIT:

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

If the PSU is working, its likely fine... Is there a reason beyond "i want a new one"?

Thanks for the answer!

It's an old generic PSU, just wanted to replace it before it died or created a problem.

Edited by TwilightLink
New response

20 minutes ago, TwilightLink said:

Thanks for the answer!

But the psu is almost 20 years old and very generic (it's not the original, the original died, which I think it was also a generic one). I don't think it will work for much long, that's why I was searching a new one.

I don't want it to explode or catch fire.

EDIT:

Thanks for the answer!

It's an old generic PSU, just wanted to replace it before it died or created a problem.

Well, you could just use it. But if you wanted to replace it, just make sure your mobo uses 20 pin, CD drive and hard drive should be molex. If you have and intent to use floppy, will need a floppy power adapter as few PSU’s these days have that. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Well, you could just use it.

I'm just worried about it breaking and taking some component of the pc with it.

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

ust make sure your mobo uses 20 pin, CD drive and hard drive should be molex. If you have and intent to use floppy, will need a floppy power adapter as few PSU’s these days have that. 

Ok, I'll search for a PSU that have all that, and I think that mobo uses 20 pin.

Thanks for the answer!

3 minutes ago, TwilightLink said:

I'm just worried about it breaking and taking some component of the pc with it.

Ok, I'll search for a PSU that have all that, and I think that mobo uses 20 pin.

Thanks for the answer!

A 24 pin will work with a 20 pin. And everything will have molex. The only potential issue is the floppy drive if you have one and want to use it. But CPU should be standard 4 pin, mobo is 20 (24), and then molex. Just make sure that is in fact true for your PC, and your good.

Just now, LIGISTX said:

A 24 pin will work with a 20 pin. And everything will have molex. The only potential issue is the floppy drive if you have one and want to use it. But CPU should be standard 4 pin, mobo is 20 (24), and then molex. Just make sure that is in fact true for your PC, and your good.

I have a floppy drive, but I don't mind losing it because all my games and stuff are on CDs. I'll check all the connections to see if they are standard when I get the chance.

Do you have any recomendations for a PSU? Is the Seasonic S12III good for this system (in case I have all standard connections)?

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

The S12III is literally more than overkill for a 20+ year old computer.

Thanks for the answer!

I know, but there isn't much to choose from, I can get a generic one (I rather not get that) or a thermaltake litepower for a little less than the Seasonic.

1 hour ago, TwilightLink said:

I have a floppy drive, but I don't mind losing it because all my games and stuff are on CDs. I'll check all the connections to see if they are standard when I get the chance.

Do you have any recomendations for a PSU? Is the Seasonic S12III good for this system (in case I have all standard connections)?

Should be fine. 

On 5/28/2021 at 1:22 AM, LIGISTX said:

Should be fine. 

Thanks for all the help!

I'll get that one then.