Should nvidia and gpu companies sell gpu parts so u can build ur own?

joeyhamster

the gddr can be integrated on the board itself or it can be in stick form

This won't work at all and it would make it worse also a GPU is too advanced for users to build imo

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

This would not work. GPUs are not like CPUs - they can't just run with whatever capacity of VRAM you give it, as the memory buses aren't designed for that. Additionally, every GPU has different VRM requirements. You can't throw an RTX 3090 GPU on a PCB designed for a GT 1030 - the 3090 would burn the VRMs.

It could be possible with a lot of reworking of things, but it's a "Could we? Yes. Should we? No." situation.

elephants

Even ignoring the fact I believe GDDR tolerances are too tight to put them on a stick, GPU memory channels I believe are often one chip in size vs a PC where its an entire stick.  There isn't the physical space to run that many traces and you'd end up with something very weak as the power requirements to push the signals through all that would be insane.

Just look at the difference between the PCB of a smartphone and the PCB of a laptop, where both might be very similar in actual RAW performance.  The physical space and power requirements are an order of magnitude different.

This is one reason why Apple Silicon is so much more efficient, almost everything is integrated into a single chip.  For every item you want to be socketed/upgradeable, you increase the power and space requirements dramatically, reducing its efficiency.  So you only do it when the convenience outweighs the costs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I wouldn't go as far as to say such a system couldn't be done, but recognise limitations and trade offs that will be required. Combined, if you did it you would have a much worse product that no one would want it. It will cost much more. It will perform much worse.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

46 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

It is not a matter if they 'should', it is if they 'want'.

nice profile