De-soldering switches in a blackwidow elite

Entropy.

Hullo, Currently I'm maining my blackwidow elite, and the clicky sound is really starting to get to me. I eventually intend to de-solder and replace the switches, and use my blackwidow with modded switches to serve as a holdover before I transition to a custom keyboard. This, of course will require a soldering iron, and a solder sucker, however I'm not concerned about that. I'd like to ask if anybody has heard about this or has had experience with this? Would I run into any problems doing this, and should the keyboard be compatible with any 3-pin switch? I'm doing some researchmyself and I do beileve it is possiblle, but the LED inside of the keyboard won't be visible. Other than that, do you know anything else about replacing the switches in the BWE? 

Thanks a ton 🙂

and yes, I came from Squashy Boy's video :]

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Honestly with the money you spend on new switches and soldering equipment you would be better off getting a new keyboard that suits you better. Re soldering switches can be a pain and you need to redo every one.. Its tedious

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Just now, mr fobs said:

Honestly with the money you spend on new switches and soldering equipment you would be better off getting a new keyboard that suits you better. Re soldering switches can be a pain and you need to redo every one.. Its tedious

I already have a soldering iron. All I'm missing is a $20 sucker, switches, and lube. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

You should check out keychron keyboards.. They are affordable mechanical keyboards that don't use cherry MX by default (however you can choose to have hot swappable switches). Not trying to discourage you from tinkering, just trying to save you time and money!

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Just now, mr fobs said:

You should check out keychron keyboards.. They are affordable mechanical keyboards that don't use cherry MX by default (however you can choose to have hot swappable switches). Not trying to discourage you from tinkering, just trying to save you time and money!

I've heard of them. I'm fine with a tedious modding process and I'm not looking to pay extra money for a keyboard that's more or less a sidegrade.

23 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Would I run into any problems doing this, and should the keyboard be compatible with any 3-pin switch?

You shouldn't run into problems, at least I didn't. Any Cherry MX style 3 pin switch should work (or 5 pin, with just the extra pins cut off). The SMD LEDs are flush with the PCB, so no need to worry about those either. There are plenty of good switches with transparent or opaque housings.

Since you're disassembling the entire keyboard, you could also consider adding foam to help with reverb inside the case, and under the switch plate.

11 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

8 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

Ah, yes, brilliant, instead of getting switches and $20-30 of soldering equipment, you get switches and another mediocre $110 keyboard. So much for saving money.

:)

31 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You shouldn't run into problems, at least I didn't. Any Cherry MX style 3 pin switch should work (or 5 pin, with just the extra pins cut off). The SMD LEDs are flush with the PCB, so no need to worry about those either. There are plenty of good switches with transparent or opaque housings.

Yup, I already added foam to my keyboard yesterday. As for the RGB, well, I don't particularly care, I plan to replace the keycaps with a nicer GMK set after the summer later, just slowly transform the prebuilt into a custom. Thanks for the help.

Shouldn't have any issues, just be aware that the RGB LEDs will add a LOT of desoldering time (potentially 2-3x compared to switches alone).

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I plan to replace the keycaps with a nicer GMK set

Just keep in mind the non-standard bottom row.

2 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

All I'm missing is a $20 sucker, switches, and lube.

Can't speak for switches since that's personal preference or lube because I don't know what's best, but for sucker I wouldn't buy anything but an SS02 and would very, very strongly recommend leaded solder. Cheap stuff like this will work fine.

I'm assuming you're based in the US; if you aren't, it may be hard to find leaded solder. Thankfully it's not a requirement but it's a lot easier to work with.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

18 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Shouldn't have any issues, just be aware that the RGB LEDs will add a LOT of desoldering time (potentially 2-3x compared to switches alone).

Just keep in mind the non-standard bottom row.

Can't speak for switches since that's personal preference or lube because I don't know what's best, but for sucker I wouldn't buy anything but an SS02 and would very, very strongly recommend leaded solder. Cheap stuff like this will work fine.

I'm assuming you're based in the US; if you aren't, it may be hard to find leaded solder. Thankfully it's not a requirement but it's a lot easier to work with.

yeap, my bottom row might look a little wonk and I might need to swap out some keys, thats alright though. I have some leaded solder lying around, think I should be good with that. Would you recommend taking any precautions when soldering with it however? Currently I don't have a fuma filter. Do I want to solder outside, or perhaps with a fabric mask on, anything like that? 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

yeap, my bottom row might look a little wonk and I might need to swap out some keys, thats alright though. I have some leaded solder lying around, think I should be good with that. Would you recommend taking any precautions when soldering with it however? Currently I don't have a fuma filter. Do I want to solder outside, or perhaps with a fabric mask on, anything like that? 

The only fumes you might inhale are from flux which is pretty much harmless. Just wash your hands after and don't eat while soldering and you're good.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈