Will the upcoming HDMI 2.1 gaming monitors support 4k at 144hz on PC with the HDMI 2.1 port?

p0tat0stix
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
17 minutes ago, p0tat0stix said:

So to recap on the answers, which is why I asked the question in the first place:

No.

No.

Probably not.

Dont worry about it, use DisplayPort.

And a definite yes.

To clear things up, the short version is this: the highest Supported Format for 4K in the HDMI Specification is 120 Hz. People often misinterpret this to believe that HDMI 2.1 therefore doesn't allow higher than 120 Hz at 4K, because they don't understand what a Supported Format is in the context of the HDMI Specification. I explain in more detail here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/eipp4h/why_doesnt_hdmi_21_support_refresh_rates_above/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The exact same debate happened with HDMI 1.4, with people adamantly insisting that HDMI was not capable of 1080p 144 Hz, because "even though it has enough bandwidth, look the HDMI Specification only lists support for 1080p 120 Hz". But this was demonstrably wrong, and is just a misunderstanding of the HDMI Specification. HDMI is limited by bandwidth only; any arbitrary format is allowed as long as it falls within the bamdwisth limit. This is stated in the first sentence of the video section of the HDMI Specification.

I have searched far and wide for this specific answer, and the only specs I see listed so far seem to be that the new HDMI 2.1 gaming monitors will support 4k @ 120hz. It seems to me from the research I've done that HDMI 2.1 can easily support 4k @ 144hz from a bandwidth perspective, but nobody is listing that as an option. Why are they all settling on marketing 120hz?

I'm on PC and I'm aware that DisplayPort 1.4 already allows 4k @ 144hz with DSC or chroma subsampling -- which is specifically why I'm interested in whether the upcoming HDMI 2.1 monitors will offer 144hz without any form of compression. Otherwise, why upgrade to HDMI 2.1 at all?

Here's an article I found that says it can: https://www.cablematters.com/blog/HDMI/does-hdmi-support-144hz

But most other articles only list 4k 120hz for the HDMI 2.1 capabilities.

I do not believe HDMI 2.1 has the bandwidth capable for full 4k144 without some sort of color or stream compression. Would be nice, but looks like it is DP 1.4 for us.

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Because the HDMI 2.1 Specification is 4k@120Hz, I assume that they may have HDMI2.1 ports on them that only support 4K@120Hz, while the Display Port Port will support their full Resolution and refresh rate.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

There's overhead in the signal for metadata, and of course bandwidth limits are always theoretical, and never actually that much in practice. Between the two 4K@120MHz is the best you can get.

However, that's just over HDMI. DP can go higher, and these new 4K displays will of course have DP as well. That's where you'll get 144Hz.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just use DP 1.4 with DSC as a PC monitor. It unlocks the full resolution and refresh rate and is visually lossless. Every comparison between DSC on and off had the same conclusion that it changed absolutely nothing in terms of image quality.

HDMI 2.1 is basically only important if you want to unlock 4K 120Hz modes on the newest consoles as the simply don't have a DP to use.

But there will be next to no game on these consoles that will use 4K AND 120Hz at the same time, so even there it's basically not really noteworthy...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

4K@120MHz is the best you can get.

120MHz seems a bit high for today's standards 🤔

I know it was a typo

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Nathanpete said:

I do not believe HDMI 2.1 has the bandwidth capable for full 4k144 without some sort of color or stream compression. Would be nice, but looks like it is DP 1.4 for us.

46 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

There's overhead in the signal for metadata, and of course bandwidth limits are always theoretical, and never actually that much in practice. Between the two 4K@120MHz is the best you can get.

However, that's just over HDMI. DP can go higher, and these new 4K displays will of course have DP as well. That's where you'll get 144Hz.

No, HDMI 2.1 has enough speed for 4K 144 Hz uncompressed with 10 bpc color depth.

Bandwidth limits are exact for video interfaces, the link operates at a fixed frequency, there is an exact number of bits per second allocated for video, and video consumes an exact constant number of bits per second.

• 2 weeks later...

So to recap on the answers, which is why I asked the question in the first place:

No.

No.

Probably not.

And a definite yes.

17 minutes ago, p0tat0stix said:

No.

No.

Probably not.

And a definite yes.

To clear things up, the short version is this: the highest Supported Format for 4K in the HDMI Specification is 120 Hz. People often misinterpret this to believe that HDMI 2.1 therefore doesn't allow higher than 120 Hz at 4K, because they don't understand what a Supported Format is in the context of the HDMI Specification. I explain in more detail here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/eipp4h/why_doesnt_hdmi_21_support_refresh_rates_above/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The exact same debate happened with HDMI 1.4, with people adamantly insisting that HDMI was not capable of 1080p 144 Hz, because "even though it has enough bandwidth, look the HDMI Specification only lists support for 1080p 120 Hz". But this was demonstrably wrong, and is just a misunderstanding of the HDMI Specification. HDMI is limited by bandwidth only; any arbitrary format is allowed as long as it falls within the bamdwisth limit. This is stated in the first sentence of the video section of the HDMI Specification.

22 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Glenwing, thank you for taking the time to explain this. Really appreciated!