TV shows on dvds, quality dropping down to tape levels. (you don't always find out till you buy it)

jmc111

The main dvds that come to mind are...

Big Bang season (11?) and Lucifer (S4) dropped from years of 3 dvds down to 2 dvds(3Mbps tape quality)

Had to buy the BD disks to get around this...PITA.

The absolute worst one that I've ever bought is "Switched At Birth".(love the show!)

There are ONLY the first 10 episodes (out of 103 total) available on optical disk.

As soon as I watched them I went "what the bleep is wrong with this"

So looked at the dvd...7 hours and 15 minutes on one single disk, 2.5Mbps garbage tape quality.

Am thankful that the whole complete set was not available because I would have bought it and not been happy at all.

By the way I hate TS files even tho I somehow have 103 of them.

Thoughts Welcome!

1) I wouldn't call 3mbps 'Tape Quality', if you think that you've never watched a VHS tape.  I'll take even lower bitrate MPEG-2 over a VHS any day.

2) A lot of modern TV series releases are increasingly DVD only (If at all) and often targeting a very specific group: Lives out in the sticks and has internet so bad streaming isn't very good.  They're very utilitarian releases on a very specific market.  The fewer disc per release, the more economical the release is as market demand for physical media continues to collapse.

I'm not saying any of this is good or championing it, it's just the way it is in the market today.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Yep, as the first comment said, "tape quality" is analogue and cheap, therefore is even worse.

And unfortunately, companies want to make as much money as possible with the least losses possible: they don't care about individual people; that's why they try to cram as many episodes onto one disk as possible. More cost effective to the company. It sucks but it's reality.

13 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

2) A lot of modern TV series releases are increasingly DVD only (If at all) and often targeting a very specific group: Lives out in the sticks and has internet so bad streaming isn't very good.  They're very utilitarian releases on a very specific market.  The fewer disc per release, the more economical the release is as market demand for physical media continues to collapse.

Interesting, I never thought about that being the market for DVD's at the moment. But you are probably right. Also, Bluray adoption is probably lower, and people still use DVD players. 

Whenever we rent a cabin in the woods, there is an old DVD player with some old shows on DVD... very bad internet. Checks out.

16 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

There are some series such as Homicide: Life on the Street that are only available via DVD.  I would love for someone to start streaming this.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

-> Moved to Home Theater Equipment

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 3 weeks later...

You also have to take into account a lot of TV shows were upscaled to DVD quality on release. Unless the show was captured on digital cameras or happened to be captured on film, they would have been recorded to betamax tapes for release. 

Star Trek The Next Generation was a litmus test to see what people would pay. It cost a lot of money to scan all the film and recreate the special effects. Shows like Stargate and other star trek shows will never get remasters. 

Your best bet is too get shows you like and run them through Topaz AI video upscaler. Fans are using this to try and increase fidelity in available media. 

I ran all of Alien Nation tv series and movies though it. It helps clean up some of the compression artifacts from he original DVD release and sharpened the picture a little. 

But this process takes a good CPU and GPU.  A 45 minute episode took 2hrs to process at 2x resolution. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD