I think my drive cloning made a mess of windows and I need to fix it

Blindsay

So when I originally built my machine I was using a 2TB HP EX950 as my boot drive and then I bought a 960GB Optane drive and I used clonezilla to copy from the HP to the Optane. The optane drive has been great. The only annoyance was when I boot i see both drives as an option because I never wiped the HP drive 

So now I am thinking of selling my optane and going back to just the HP. I was going to wipe the HP drive and clone the Optane back to the HP drive but as I was about to wipe the HP drive I saw this in disk management
image.thumb.png.d77100c595739bdd8786eca1e448a180.png

If I am looking at that correct, when I did the original clone apparently it did not clone the EFI or recovery partitions, so I am assuming if I nuke the HP drive my system will no longer boot correct? That said I want to remove the Optane drive and go back to just the HP. Can I just copy (C:) to (D:) (are there any utilities i can use within windows that will make sure to grab all system and hidden files?), then yank the optane and be back on the HP drive with it exactly how my setup is now?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

So when I originally built my machine I was using a 2TB HP EX950 as my boot drive and then I bought a 960GB Optane drive and I used clonezilla to copy from the HP to the Optane. The optane drive has been great. The only annoyance was when I boot i see both drives as an option because I never wiped the HP drive 

So now I am thinking of selling my optane and going back to just the HP. I was going to wipe the HP drive and clone the Optane back to the HP drive but as I was about to wipe the HP drive I saw this in disk management

If I am looking at that correct, when I did the original clone apparently it did not clone the EFI or recovery partitions, so I am assuming if I nuke the HP drive my system will no longer boot correct? That said I want to remove the Optane drive and go back to just the HP. Can I just copy (C:) to (D:) (are there any utilities i can use within windows that will make sure to grab all system and hidden files?), then yank the optane and be back on the HP drive with it exactly how my setup is now?

Thanks!

Having last cloned my old 250GB Samsung 840 to a 1TB WD Blue m.2 I found that after the cloning process it told me to DISCONNECT the old drive. as part of the reboot.

I'd suggest:  Shut down the machine & remove the old boot drive... then reboot the system.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

4 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Having last cloned my old 250GB Samsung 840 to a 1TB WD Blue m.2 I found that after the cloning process it told me to DISCONNECT the old drive. as part of the reboot.

I'd suggest:  Shut down the machine & remove the old boot drive... then reboot the system.

I did the cloning months ago, I need to go back to the HP drive so I need to clone the new data on the optane drive over to the HP drive. Also removing the drive is not an option unfortunately 

Hi buddy,

If you want to go back to using your HP drive and get shot of your Optane drive, I would get a fresh Widows install media and start from there.

While I have had a pretty good success rate using various cloning utils in the past, there's really no substitute for booting from a Windows 10 USB stick, deleting all current partitions and starting from fresh. Obviously, if you've got a load of files on the drive you want to keep, you'll need to back them up before hand.

12 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Can I just copy (C:) to (D:)

You can, but there will data in the Windows and Program Files folders that will likely be in use so expect problems.  

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

14 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Thanks!

If you remove the HP drive you will not be able to boot from the Optane drive, correct.

That said, you can do this:
http://woshub.com/how-to-repair-deleted-efi-partition-in-windows-7/

I did this when the Windows installer threw Windows Boot Manager on a different SSD. It does say Windows 7 but it works for 10 as well. MAKE SURE that your drive is formatted as GPT not MBR though, and that you have a W10 USB not a W7 USB.

elephants

6 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

I did the cloning months ago, I need to go back to the HP drive so I need to clone the new data on the optane drive over to the HP drive. Also removing the drive is not an option unfortunately 

You may be best advised to backup YOUR data to an external drive & revert the machine with the OEM restore media.

FTR - what's the second 2TB drive?  Looks like there's two 2TB drives, Disk 0 & Disk 1.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

If you remove the HP drive you will not be able to boot from the Optane drive, correct.

That said, you can do this:
http://woshub.com/how-to-repair-deleted-efi-partition-in-windows-7/

I did this when the Windows installer threw Windows Boot Manager on a different SSD. It does say Windows 7 but it works for 10 as well. MAKE SURE that your drive is formatted as GPT not MBR though, and that you have a W10 USB not a W7 USB.

Thanks for the info, the drive is GPT (I just double checked it).

Since the HP drive contains the EFI partition, right now If i yank the Optane drive out of the system in theory my system should just boot to the old HP drive and everything would be there minus anything that I added new since I cloned the drive.

Could I just copy the contents of my current (C:) to (D:) (as they are in the photo) and then that would let me boot with all the new files? (need something more than just a copy/paste via explorer though)

1 minute ago, Blindsay said:

Could I just copy the contents of my current (C:) to (D:) (as they are in the photo) and then that would let me boot with all the new files? (need something more than just a copy/paste via explorer though)

You could, but that defeats the point of using the Optane drive as your boot drive.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

You could, but that defeats the point of using the Optane drive as your boot drive.

Sorry if I was not clear, that is what I am trying to do. I want to sell my optane drive and just go back to the HP drive, I just want to make sure the HP drive has all of the newer content that is currently on the optane drive

46 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Thanks!

You are correct, it did not copy the recovery and efi over.  I would try to clone just the partition to the smaller partition (assuming there enough space for the data), using minitools or a linux live distro,  once done, remove the optane, boot in recovery mode, select command prompt options, run bootrec.exe /fixmbr  bootrec.exe /fixboot   bootrec /rebuildbcd
this will rebuild the mbr, readd the efi boot files and rebuild bcd will show you all 'bootable' entries on the drives, select which one you want on the boot menu. 

Alright well if anyone runs into a similar issue I was able to get it working.

Ending up using EaseUS partition master to clone all the data from the optane drive back to the HP drive, Just the (C:) partition to (D:) partition making sure not to mess with the EFI or recovery partitions.

After just cloning the data I used BCDBoot to make the partition bootable and then BCDEdit to clean up the mess.

Successfully back on the HP drive and everything is exactly how it was. Now to sell the Optane drive.

Thanks everyone that responded