Asus Strix 2080

Go to solution Solved by kriegalex,

For anyone wondering, yes there was an issue either with the mounting pressure or with the termal paste. I did not change the thermal pads, I simply repasted the card with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. This is also solved the fan issue.

Result (in similar gameplay, ~5 min) :

Max was 68.5 I think, very briefly. Before, the max was 81 because then the fans were blasting 100% until it went to 79-80°C.

Untitled2.png.0f661f67c04e648ef72471d59675bc1d.png

Hello,

I'm here because I have two questions/ potential issues :

1. I've discovered the new hotspot feature of GPU-Z. While gaming, with only the factory OC available from Asus ("Gaming mode"), I reach easily more than 100°C. It's more than a 20-25°C delta, where I've seen most people report more like 10-12°C. I'm worried. Is there potentially an issue with the cooler mounting ?
  2. For the longest time my GPU was dead silent. For a while now, I've been hearing the GPU's fan ramp up and down and it's starting to become very very annoying. Any link with the issue above ? I've seen that at the second I reach 80°C, no matter where the fans are, I think that they jump to 100%. Sometimes it's only one of them, sometimes both (it's three fans actually reported as 2 in GPU-Z).

Untitled.png.164a42aae76712d3b55e1a146d398f80.png

Gaming: Windows 10 - Intel i7 9900K - Asus RTX 2080 Strix OC - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER - O11 Dynamic

Now that I think about it, before when the target temp was hit, the turbo clock started dropping until the temps were under control.

Why does it not do that now and instead blasts the fans to 100% ?

Gaming: Windows 10 - Intel i7 9900K - Asus RTX 2080 Strix OC - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER - O11 Dynamic

For anyone wondering, yes there was an issue either with the mounting pressure or with the termal paste. I did not change the thermal pads, I simply repasted the card with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. This is also solved the fan issue.

Result (in similar gameplay, ~5 min) :

Max was 68.5 I think, very briefly. Before, the max was 81 because then the fans were blasting 100% until it went to 79-80°C.

Untitled2.png.0f661f67c04e648ef72471d59675bc1d.png

10 hours ago, kriegalex said:

Now that I think about it, before when the target temp was hit, the turbo clock started dropping until the temps were under control.

Why does it not do that now and instead blasts the fans to 100% ?

Though I would still be interested to have any explanation about this ! Did Turbo Boost change THAT much while I was "not watching" ?