Does HDR Cause LDC Burn In?

Hi everyone!

I've got an issue with my monitor: it leaves a ghost image of what was previously on the screen for a period of time.

Since I'm studying for exams at the moment, I leave PDFs on the screen constantly for long periods of time. When I change the screen to a dark-grey colour, it shows a lighter grey outlining where the PDF was.

Fortunately, it slowly fades away when I play a video or game. The monitor is relatively new - 3 to 4 months ago - but I'm concerned if the ghost image will one day become permanent.

I have HDR on auto and I was wondering if HDR causes it? I don't know much about this so I hope that someone could help me on the matter.

If it's some other reason, please suggest something that I could to to stop it.

Thanks in advance.

For anyone wondering, the monitor is the Acer Nitro XV240YP.

Lcds should not really have burn in issues especially with a screen that is barely even hdr capable and thus has a lower brightness by default. I think in your case it is just a defective screen.

33 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Lcds should not really have burn in issues especially with a screen that is barely even hdr capable and thus has a lower brightness by default. I think in your case it is just a defective screen.

Its actually not unusual for LCDs to have temporary image retention (though granted I've only ever had one monitor I've seen it on), but its just that, temporary.  Its not an indication of a defect nor will it cause long-term damage.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

26 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its actually not unusual for LCDs to have temporary image retention (though granted I've only ever had one monitor I've seen it on), but its just that, temporary.  Its not an indication of a defect nor will it cause long-term damage.

Sure a lcd can have it for maybe 10 seconds or so after having something be open at max brightness for hours on end as op is stating it stays for a good while which is not something that is supposed to happen.

It's not caused by HDR itself. You'll likely notice the same just by having the brightness cranked all the way up and having HDR disabled. It's perfectly normal to have this temporary "burn-in", but LCDs are pretty much immune to permanent burn-in.

You should probably lower the brightness either way. You'll have to get used to a dimmer screen, but your eyes will thank you in the long run.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You should probably lower the brightness either way. You'll have to get used to a dimmer screen, but your eyes will thank you in the long run.

Its nothing to do with the brightness though, that will only wear out the backlight quicker.

Retention is about the LCD, which doesn't behave any differently regardless of what setting your backlight is at.  It might be more visible if the backlight is brighter but will still occur regardless of the setting.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Its not normal, but can happen. its usual down to the model but can in some cases just be a fault,its also more common on cheaper displays.

If its annoying you then i'd suggest getting a refund and finding a different display.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |