RTX 3060 Power Draw - Should I upgrade my PSU? (400W)

Visbi
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
21 minutes ago, Visbi said:

I recently saw the LMG 3060 review and I know that I want it, once the price goes down. The problem is that I don't know if My PSU will be enough, and I don't know if I would get the same performance out of a cheaper card because of my low end cpu (Ryzen 3 2200g). Should I upgrade my PSU and/or get a cheaper GPU?Here are my current specs

Cpu:Ryzen 3 2200g

Graphics:2200g apu

Motherboard: Asrock b450m pro4

Memory:8gb ddr4 2666mhz

PSU: 400W evga (not sure which model but I know its the cheapest one they sell)

4 120mm case fans

Cooler: thermaltake a71c

Monitor: acer kg241q

Speakers: htrise 10w

Keyboard: tedgem rgb full keyboard

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite v1 and Logitech g203 both plugged in at the same time

Just upgrade to a 550W or more. Don't buy from a sketchy company either.

Edit: Typo

I recently saw the LMG 3060 review and I know that I want it, once the price goes down. The problem is that I don't know if My PSU will be enough, and I don't know if I would get the same performance out of a cheaper card because of my low end cpu (Ryzen 3 2200g). Should I upgrade my PSU and/or get a cheaper GPU?Here are my current specs

4 120mm case fans

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite v1 and Logitech g203 both plugged in at the same time

7 minutes ago, Visbi said:

4 120mm case fans

Nvidia recommends 550W for rtx 3060 so yea you should upgrade

9 minutes ago, Visbi said:

4 120mm case fans

Try this wattage calculator to see if its enough https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

4 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Try this wattage calculator to see if its enough https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

Don't use those things, theyre not realistic

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Visbi said:

4 120mm case fans

Just upgrade to a 550W or more. Don't buy from a sketchy company either.

Edit: Typo

you sort of could use this PSU for lower GPUs, you should have minimum of 500-550w to more recommended 650-750 (future too, if the connectors stays the same). So by any other newer GPU you would need more than 400w, same if you are going to upgrade CPU or something along those lines.

GPUs will have their spikes of load and power consumption? We could see the power consumption of the 3050 ti, if it will be avaliable at all.

around low 75~100~250w to high end CPU, lower end 150~220~400w to high end GPU (~400w RTX 3090 8K load). From the lower to higher end + various other stuff that will consume like fans, drives and ports. So in general would stay above 500w for decent parts, you can mess around with your power, if you know what to do. Also this is taken from medium to full load, as your system would use less when it has lower load than what it can handle.

Spoiler

I'd go with a 650W (80 Bronze+ and above), because these new RTX 3000 series cards can power spike af 

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revive this thread but i just want to give a warning to those who googled this answer in the future... the PSU recommendation by NVIDIA is using an I9-10900K which is a power hungry CPU with a power limit of 250W and idles over 100W just the CPU alone out of the box... while 3060ti power draw is around 130W if its running stock... remember this is the 3060ti... the 3060 has a max power limit of 170W but I don't know the power draw with stock cooler but I doubt its more than 130W even if its factory OC because it has lesser output than the 3060ti...

Power limit is basically the software/firmware/BIOS telling the hardware you can draw this much power at max if you can cooldown the components enough... but if you have a GPU with an air cooler from their respective manufacturer, its impossible to achieve... because it was design as such... to my knowledge of bypassing the power limit of NVIDIA cards, you need to short out some pins to make the card think you are not reaching your power limit or you are still running stock... that is for subzero cooling... for more info go to buildzoid's videos on YT...

So if you are running something like a Ryzen 3 2200G then 400W is way more than enough... because if you do not run massive amounts of HDD (like 10 of them) and fans (like 9 or more) and other peripherals (like loads of USB or loads of RGB lighting, or other things that draw power from PSU or your mobo), then i would be surprised if you draw more than 260W even with simple OC of the CPU, RAM and GPU...

The new 3000 series cards are only power hungry in the higher end cards... they did this to push the benchmark scores to keep the performance crown from AMD by allowing the cards to boost better due to their higher power limit... i mean they overengineered the founder's card of those SKUs to increase its cooling potential... like 3070 if i am not wrong the power draw is 200W stock and the 3090 or was it the 3090ti has 350W stock... and all these range of cards have power limits ranging from from 350W (3070) - 450W (3090ti)..

Sorry OP... if i had seen this thread earlier i would have told you that you did not even need to consider changing PSU.... because AMD Zen 1 can't even OC past 4GHz stable unless you win the lottery so it does not draw that much power... i would be surprised if you could draw more than 65W stock.... and if you OC, i would be surprised if you draw more than 90watts... that is how absurd the NVIDIA PSU recommendation is right now... its useless for gauging anything... a PSU calculator helps but don't use the new egg one because that one sometimes have problems...