Do i need cpu for bios update?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You go on Asrock's website, to your motherboard model, click on Support and then on CPU Compatibility List : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#CPU

You find 5600x in that list, and you see what BIOS version is needed

image.png.10990d8e36fe0d754c77fdddea0c5a2d.png

You go on the BIOS Downloads page and look when the 1.20 version was released : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#BIOS

image.png.1f4f3ec2979122833abfa13ea3d95905.png

It says 24th of August 2020. 

The next bios was released on the 27th of Octomber, next one in December and  so on... 

Now use your brains man ... any motherboard manufactured from december 2020 onwards will most likely be equipped with at least bios 1.40 from factory. 

So use those brain cells of yours and think about ...  was the motherboard I plan to buy sitting on the shelves of the company since December of last year, or were so many motherboards imported by the distributor that you'll end up buying a board imported in December? 

It's a popular, cheap, mass produced motherboard, so I seriously doubt it. 

I'd say it's 80-90% probability you're gonna get a motherboard produced in 2021, with a more recent bios installed. 

I wanted to get a new motherbod and cpu (ryzen 5 5600x) and i have heard that some mobos let you update bios without cpu 

so my uestion is would the asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 need a cpu to update to a bios supporting the 5600x

No, this board does not support BIOS flashing without a CPU installed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

You go on Asrock's website, to your motherboard model, click on Support and then on CPU Compatibility List : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#CPU

You find 5600x in that list, and you see what BIOS version is needed

image.png.10990d8e36fe0d754c77fdddea0c5a2d.png

You go on the BIOS Downloads page and look when the 1.20 version was released : https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#BIOS

image.png.1f4f3ec2979122833abfa13ea3d95905.png

It says 24th of August 2020. 

The next bios was released on the 27th of Octomber, next one in December and  so on... 

Now use your brains man ... any motherboard manufactured from december 2020 onwards will most likely be equipped with at least bios 1.40 from factory. 

So use those brain cells of yours and think about ...  was the motherboard I plan to buy sitting on the shelves of the company since December of last year, or were so many motherboards imported by the distributor that you'll end up buying a board imported in December? 

It's a popular, cheap, mass produced motherboard, so I seriously doubt it. 

I'd say it's 80-90% probability you're gonna get a motherboard produced in 2021, with a more recent bios installed. 

15 minutes ago, giveansrplees said:

I wanted to get a new motherbod and cpu (ryzen 5 5600x) and i have heard that some mobos let you update bios without cpu 

so my uestion is would the asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 need a cpu to update to a bios supporting the 5600x

It's a feature called flashback, and no, that board doesn't have it. You'll need a CPU installed to update the BIOS. You can try to run it without updating first. It might already have a BIOS revision that at least has support for Zen 3, depending on when it rolled off the line. However, if it doesn't POST, then you'll need to update it.

FWIW, if you contact AMD, they will mail you an old CPU you can use to do the BIOS update. Then, you just mail it back when you're done. You can also take it to some place that does computer repair, and they can apply the BIOS for your there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

• 2 years later...
On 5/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, Chris Pratt said:

It's a feature called flashback, and no, that board doesn't have it. You'll need a CPU installed to update the BIOS. You can try to run it without updating first. It might already have a BIOS revision that at least has support for Zen 3, depending on when it rolled off the line. However, if it doesn't POST, then you'll need to update it.

FWIW, if you contact AMD, they will mail you an old CPU you can use to do the BIOS update. Then, you just mail it back when you're done. You can also take it to some place that does computer repair, and they can apply the BIOS for your there.

i just bought a b550m phantom 4 and a 5600x and they don't post i was wondering what i should tell amd for them to mail me an old cpu?

Seriously doubt you need a bios update for a 5600x especially now in 2023 ... 5600x would be supported from the first bios on b550 chipset.

Make sure you insert the cpu power cable, the 24 pin cable, insert just one stick of ram on the slot that's furthest away from the cpu socket, make sure the motherboard is mounted on standoffs and the back doesn't touch the metal of the case (only where the screws are)

The cpu doesn't have integrated graphics, so the video connectors on the motherboard won't work. You need a video card and you need a monitor connected to the video card to get some video.

First time the system starts, it's possible to take a longer time, like 20-30 seconds, maybe even more... you just have to be patient. If you keep turning it off faster than that, it will never get over that.  After this, it would start faster, within seconds.

IF it still doesn't start, see if there's any status / debug leds or try to find small speaker to see if the board makes some beeps - that beep code could tell you what the problem is.