MSI B85 gaming board, also not gold but still stupid.

brownninja97

MSI_B85I_GAMING_02.jpg

Firstly there is the itx version(there is a matx version but no pictures yet). I kinda see the point in this board however i dont like the B85 chipset much, i guess its nice if you dont want to overclock but then there is no need for all of the fancy heatsinks and gaming theme which would just add an extra cost which you are not going to utilize. 

Fancy features: 

Supports overclocking via the oc genie software, however that is the only way, they dont allow you to manually oc it. Msi say why hack the bios when we hack the bios before you can.

Military class 4, these components can survive a 50cal(12.7mm) bullet from 5 yards away *FACT*

extreme usb audio, the usbs can throw out up to 5V which is nice as that means more audio, maybe, i think, dont quote me, quote the source, back on topic this should help with DACs.

It has killer LAN, so when you go to lan events any d bag which tries to steal your shiz will die, to death.....

http://www.techpowerup.com/199409/msi-fires-up-b85i-gaming-and-b85m-gaming-motherboards.html

As always like the post if you liked it and like it if you disliked it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It makes me wanna do a mini itx build :P

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

Dont be a Snob,  this post is ridiculus.

Its fine mobo, its not THAT gimmicky. It may be branded and priced as gaming, but you can slap 4570 / 4670 / xeon 1230 v3 on it and its great for gaming and productivity. I see great power delivery, solid components, features, heatsinked, color scheme. Why wouldnt you pay more for better quality? (well depends on price :P ) Some people dont overclock, want ITX and are gamers. This could be their mobo of choice. If its cheaper than z87 ITX mobos, why not right?

So much hate for B85 chipsets. Haters gonna hate i guess. Need raid, more usb/sata ports and ram/fsb overclock to be able to game for a low price.  -_-

Dont be a Snob,  this post is ridiculus.

Its fine mobo, its not THAT gimmicky. It may be branded and priced as gaming, but you can slap 4570 / 4670 / xeon 1230 v3 on it and its great for gaming and productivity. I see great power delivery, solid components, features, heatsinked, color scheme. Why wouldnt you pay more for better quality? (well depends on price :P ) Some people dont overclock, want ITX and are gamers. This could be their mobo of choice. If its cheaper than z87 ITX mobos, why not right?

hey now if you want serious news posts then dont read anything from me, like ever, its probably better for you to click the source instead, for non overclockers i think H81 is the way to go

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

hey now if you want serious news posts then dont read anything from me, like ever, its probably better for you to click the source instead, for non overclockers i think H81 is the way to go

i have clicled it, actually. actually i wasted time reading your post. thanks for headsup. i still like neutral reviews, even in linuss videos. like last videos had bad jokes n stuff...

yea h81 is great budget option for gamers

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Military class 4, these components can survive a 50cal(12.7mm) bullet from 5 yards away *FACT*

I need the funds to prove this.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

its not THAT gimmicky.

it's pretty gimmicky imo

The majority do not. OP states that this is only software based allowable.

So b85 boards might overclock, so do not spread misinformation to anyone who doesn't know better and doesn't bother looking at those links. 

Error: 410

b85/h87 are way better then h81. I don't understand where do you get this informations from. Also, as stated before and from my own experience, b85 can overclock. The hate is so real.

it's pretty gimmicky imo

The majority do not. OP states that this is only software based allowable.

Why is it? Gammers are defined as enthusiasts? I thought that gammers were called gammers because they play games.

Why is it? Gammers are defined as enthusiasts? I thought that gammers were called gammers because they play games.

Do you know what this is?

potatoes-whitelong.jpg

It is a potato. 

Here is another potato.

potatoes-whitelong.jpg

The first potato is a gaming potato and costs 5$ more. Buy it. 

They will go well with your gaming monitor, your gaming chair, your gaming keyboard (with "gaming switches" -Razer 2014), your gaming headset, your gaming case, and your gaming hat. 

It is a potato. 

Here is another potato.

They will go well with your gaming monitor, your gaming chair, your gaming keyboard (with gaming switches), your gaming headset, your gaming case, and your gaming hat. 

Does the gaming potato have fancy red heatsinks and dragons on it? if it does, gimme gimme gimme :D

People who stuff because it says gaming in it and think thats why its better should go somewhere where i dont see them (aka hell :D )

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

EEEEWWWW!!!!! CRAPPY CHIPSET.... ;) It looks nice, but I won't take it unless is Z-7 or X-9.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

b85/h87 are way better then h81. I don't understand where do you get this informations from. Also, as stated before and from my own experience, b85 can overclock. The hate is so real.

yes it is worse but a lot of the features arent really needed, you can overclock on SOME b85 boards but only the high end ones. remember everyone has different needs and uses of their boards, i might not use a feature which you could use simple as that, you might want to calm down, you are getting a little too excited. I mainly stick with(in intel platforms) H81 for the basic, H87 for the medium tier, z87 for overclockers and i currently dont use h85, i might change my ways in the future but its a habit.

overclocking on B85 is limited to a few motherboard, it isnt overclockable right off the bat. The problem i have with these boards is due to the weird overlap it can cause in the prices.

Listen if you care.

potatoes-whitelong.jpg

It is a potato. 

Here is another potato.

potatoes-whitelong.jpg

They will go well with your gaming monitor, your gaming chair, your gaming keyboard (with "gaming switches" -Razer 2014), your gaming headset, your gaming case, and your gaming hat. 

Way to miss the point here. Why did you even mention the price, since the price of this motherboard wasn't even announced? Im assuming around 80€ or less, like the competition. It definitly has a place to be where i live in, since a decent z87 board with good onboard sound, nic and power delivery costs 40€ more.

Do you think that it's only this chipset that allows overclocking? Motherboard power delivery and feature set is what makes it be a gamming motherboard. Like all the other gamming b85 mobos, it will be cheap otherwise it wouldnt have a  place in the market.

Also, why is overclock being the only thing considered on a gamming motherboard? For real: why does 80% of the people think that a gamming rig must be an overclocked rig? It doesn't have to. 

Its not gimmicky at all when you know what you are buying. Gimmicky is selling z87 chips saying they are the only ones who overclock, when most people doesnt even overclock ram/fsb, only multipliers (wich b85 is capable of). Way to go Intel! Get the money from more uninformed people.

Edit:

"Here is a chipset. Here is an alot more expensive chipset. You can overclock on both but i will let you change fsb on the second one, just incase some gammer uses it. I will also allow you to overclock your ram over 1600MHz, wich basicly doesn't affect gameplay."

This is kinda what i get from people calling out b85. The joke's on you sir.

Way to miss the point here. Why did you even mention the price, since the price of this motherboard wasn't even announced? Im assuming around 80€ or less, like the competition. It definitly has a place to be where i live in, since a decent z87 board with good onboard sound, nic and power delivery costs 40€ more.

Do you think that it's only this chipset that allows overclocking? Motherboard power delivery and feature set is what makes it be a gamming motherboard. Like all the other gamming b85 mobos, it will be cheap otherwise it wouldnt have a  place in the market.

Also, why is overclock being the only thing considered on a gamming motherboard? For real: why does 80% of the people think that a gamming rig must be an overclocked rig? It doesn't have to. 

No I think you missed my point on why I mention price. A motherboard is a motherboard. Things cost money, things are marketed. 

This isn't even about overclocking, that's not the only important difference between Z87 and B85

B85 is only capable of overclocking on select motherboards, this one half assed does it with only OC genie based OC.

No I think you missed my point on why I mention price. A motherboard is a motherboard. Things cost money, things are marketed. 

This isn't even about overclocking, that's not the only important difference between Z87 and B85

B85 is only capable of overclocking on select motherboards, this one half assed does it with only OC genie based OC.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4444/33-haswell-motherboard-group-test-26x-z87-4x-h87-and-3x-b85

Time for you to do your homework then. Also, check manufacturer websites. B85/h87 do overclock and there is no denying that, even if they have few limitations. Ofc that you are not expected to run stable if your motherboard has a poor VRm and 2 power phases.

Dont get me wrong, i agree that Z87 is better, because it is. What i dont like here is people bash a chipset when its not the chipset fault at all. B85 chips tend do come with cheapass motherboards, granted, but manufacturers such as asus (the new gamming mobo), MSI, Asrock (b85 killer), some gigabyte ones come with gammer friendly features (sound, nic, Xfire support, capability of overclocking with decent VRM's) at very friendly prices (around 80€).

It's not gimmicky at all man, it just isn't, and people only call it that because they overlook the build quality and features and judge only the chipset. The chipset doesn't make the motherboard alone, and that's the point.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4444/33-haswell-motherboard-group-test-26x-z87-4x-h87-and-3x-b85

Time for you to do your homework then. Also, check manufacturer websites. B85/h87 do overclock and there is no denying that, even if they have few limitations. Ofc that you are not expected to run stable if your motherboard has a poor VRm and 2 power phases.

Dont get me wrong, i agree that Z87 is better, because it is. What i dont like here is people bash a chipset when its not the chipset fault at all. B85 chips tend do come with cheapass motherboards, granted, but manufacturers such as asus (the new gamming mobo), MSI, Asrock (b85 killer), some gigabyte ones come with gammer friendly features (sound, nic, Xfire support, capability of overclocking with decent VRM's) at very friendly prices (around 80€).

It's not gimmicky at all man, it just isn't, and people only call it that because they overlook the build quality and features and judge only the chipset. The chipset doesn't make the motherboard alone, and that's the point.

Apologies, you're completely right, my bad  :)

i understand your points but please, can you not be so threatening and forceful in your way of explaining, 

Listen if you care.

I have a k series processor and z87 mobo i did this with ivy bridge also and i have never overclocked nor do i really want to so for my next build if they bring out like a b95 chipset with the same build as z97 or whatever it will be called it would be a great choice for people like me.

i understand your points but please, can you not be so threatening and forceful in your way of explaining, 

it kinda gets to this point when some1 opens a thread about an Asus gamming mobo, then a thread about an MSI mobo, watch the WAN show with a mention on the matter and all you can read is: "omg b85 chip? for gamming? this chip sucks", when you clearly see that most of them don't even know half the truth about what they are talking about.

But don't worry, you won't see me argue over this matter anymore. My point was just: those motherboards have their market place and they definitly perform.

@JAKEBAB wanna trade systems? :D

You guys need to realize you are a small group of enthusiasts. Most people do not care about over clocking and these gaming features appeal more to them.

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net