RM850x v2 vs Revolution DF850

jazz9
Just now, jonnyGURU said:

I didn't write the tier list spreadsheet, nor do I work for Enermax.

im very well aware. i was just hoping you had some info as i assumed you had worked on some CWT GPU variant.  Then possibly link it to the Cultists. 

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

im very well aware. i was just hoping you had some info as i assumed you had worked on some CWT GPU variant.  Then possibly link it to the Cultists. 

Nope.  I know what I work with.  Even with a complete tear down, we don't know what works with what until it's used IRL.  Case and point:  AX850 with 3090.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Case and point:  AX850 with 3090.

well, all of the Primes seemingly aswell. Or assumed as such untill Seasonic tells anyone if they ever fixed any of them. (i assume they wont tell us)

But also older Seasonic X PSUs seemingly. (someone decided it was a good idea to use a 3080 with a 850w Vanguard Gold from Cooler master (the old ones, RS model name). (seasonic KM3))

On 5/17/2021 at 2:06 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.  Multiple +12V rails don't work with 3090 if the OCP is 40A or lower (and I believe most are).

curiousity thing... didn't HX work with it?

20 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

GPU is not a platform that tends to have multiple +12V rails.

then why does it have multiple +12v rails on CWT's site for both GPU-G and GPU-P? Is this just because Bitfenix originally made the platform that way and CWT just started selling it while giving you an earlier or different variation? 

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I don't think it did with FE and EVGA FTW3 IIIRC.

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

then why does it have multiple +12v rails on CWT's site for both GPU-G and GPU-P? Is this just because Bitfenix originally made the platform that way and CWT just started selling it while giving you an earlier or different variation? 

No idea.  

Do we know for a fact that it actually has multiple +12V rails?  Remember back in the day when  Seasonic was selling PSUs with "multiple +12V rails" but when you opened up the PSU, all of the +12V wires were soldered to the same place on the PCB?

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Do we know for a fact that it actually has multiple +12V rails?  Remember back in the day when  Seasonic was selling PSUs with "multiple +12V rails" but when you opened up the PSU, all of the +12V wires were soldered to the same place on the PCB?

well, I sadly can't just ask CWT for OEM samples...

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, I sadly can't just ask CWT for OEM samples...

I have so many irons in the fire right now, I really don't even want to bring it up with them.  😞

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

I mean, all we know is that they have a 'GPU' on the PCB, so CWT calls this platform so. All these Bitfenix Whisper M, Enermax Revoltion DF, Deepcool DQ-M, MSI A-GF and a couple of less known ones. And they're all multi-rail. Hard to believe that they all went to CWT and specifically asked a multi-rail configuration, more likely that they accepted whatever CWT offered them as a mid/high-end range option, which is GPU, and it's multi-rail. Maybe you've worked with a single-rail variation but whatever CWT is selling right now to everyone seems to be multi-rail, i have not seen a PSU from CWT with 'GPU' on the PCB or even remotely resembling a CWT GPU platform but single-rail. There is however CWT GPR, used by Thermaltake in GF1, which is single-rail but it's different, at least by components layout.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

I mean, all we know is that they have a 'GPU' on the PCB, so CWT calls this platform so. All these Bitfenix Whisper M, Enermax Revoltion DF, Deepcool DQ-M, MSI A-GF and a couple of less known ones. And they're all multi-rail. Hard to believe that they all went to CWT and specifically asked a multi-rail configuration, more likely that they accepted whatever CWT offered them as a mid/high-end range option, which is GPU, and it's multi-rail. Maybe you've worked with a single-rail variation but whatever CWT is selling right now to everyone seems to be multi-rail, i have not seen a PSU from CWT with 'GPU' on the PCB or even remotely resembling a CWT GPU platform but single-rail. There is however CWT GPR, used by Thermaltake in GF1, which is single-rail but it's different, at least by components layout.

Ok.. Let me ask....

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.. Let me ask....

I mean, if you have spare time... But what would that accomplish really ? The GPU we know is multi-rail. And regarding the discussion we have in this thread (about whether the multi-rail GPU is good for RTX3090 or not) that wouldn't contribute anything either.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

I mean, if you have spare time... But what would that accomplish really ? The GPU we know is multi-rail. And regarding the discussion we have in this thread (about whether the multi-rail GPU is good for RTX3090 or not) that wouldn't contribute anything either.

If it wasn't multi-rail, then it wouldn't be listed as multi-rail in the tier list.  😄

This is what I got back:

1. If it is a single rail +12V, it will use a 8 pin house keeping IC
  2. If it is 2 rails of +12V, their OCP is managed by a 14 pin house keeping IC
  3. If it is 4 rails of +12V, their OCP is managed by a 14 pin house keeping IC and one additional 8 pin OCP IC

44 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:
  1. If it is a single rail +12V, it will use a 8 pin house keeping IC
  2. If it is 2 rails of +12V, their OCP is managed by a 14 pin house keeping IC
  3. If it is 4 rails of +12V, their OCP is managed by a 14 pin house keeping IC and one additional 8 pin OCP IC

in_supervisor_ics.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/bitfenix-bwg850m/4.html

But that doesn't really explain it, is there a single-rail GPU version then we didn't seen yet ? How come CWT only sells the more expensive (presumably) multi-rail version over single-rail one then ? Or it's just because Bitfenix Whisper (the first one to use it) was successful and then Deepcool, Enermax and MSI went to CWT and sait 'i want that' ?

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

in_supervisor_ics.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/bitfenix-bwg850m/4.html

But that doesn't really explain it, is there a single-rail GPU version then we didn't seen yet ? How come CWT only sells the more expensive (presumably) multi-rail version over single-rail one then ? Or it's just because Bitfenix Whisper (the first one to use it) was successful and then Deepcool, Enermax and MSI went to CWT and sait 'i want that' ?

Probably the latter.  You know all of these guys you've mentioned have zero PSU engineers, right?  😄

So, what my guy at CWT said was that the multiple +12V rail with the 14+8 ICs is the default and since Corsair defined the PSU as single +12V rail, that's the only thing actually offered to us.

15 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I have so many irons in the fire right now, I really don't even want to bring it up with them.  😞

New Refreshes or new SKUs? 😉

7 hours ago, RAZ0RLIGHT said:

New Refreshes or new SKUs? 😉

Yes.