White Graphics card to fit with my build!

Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,
15 hours ago, Clixism said:

1. What is BIOS flashing?

BIOS flashing is updating the firmware on your motherboard. If you buy a 5600X CPU and a B550 motherboard, it's possible that your motherboard won't come with a BIOS version that supports your CPU, because B550 launched just before the latest Ryzen series. But don't worry, on the Asus ROG strix B550-A , updating it is very simple. Essentially all you need is to download the new BIOS version onto a USB drive and plug it into the motherboard (without CPU or RAM installed), plug the motherboard into the power supply, and press the BIOS flash button. The board will automatically update itself from the USB drive, and you should be able to boot with the 5600X after. There's detailed instructions on ASUS's website, here.

And 2. Would a lower end older model Graphics card still work well. Ie. A 1080ti or a 2060? 

Yep, it would work fine, and you're probably going to find that older graphics cards are most of what it available in this GPU shortage. A 1080ti or 2060 won't give you the same performance as a 3070 or 3080, but it'll work fine as a temporary solution until things calm down a bit. Just make sure you're not overpaying too hard because prices are all messed up. 

Budget (including currency): $2500 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Photoshop, mainly older games with Tomb Raider being the most difficult to run. (I would like to play newer games eventually)

Other details 

build:

cpu: Ryzen 5 3600xt

Motherboard: Asus ROG strix B550-A 

AIO: corsair Icue H100i Elite

Ram: 2x16 GB PNY XLR8 3200MHz

Powersupply: Corsair CX750F (750 watt bronze rated)

case: icue 220t white

ssd: kingston 250GB

hdd: western digital 1 TB

Graphics card?

this is my current build and I am looking for a white Graphics card to fit in. I know there is a shortage but I can’t even seem to find that form of graphics card anywhere. I want to know, what Graphics card would be best for the build, any recommendations on things to change (case, power supply, and both drives are bought). My theme is Ice with Blue RGB’s and white throughout the rest of the PC! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to this and I’m not even sure if I’m planning this build build right so far! 

There's the zotac trinity oc 3080 white edition

I have it and they perform ok, temperature wise, on the VRAM. Fan is a bit loud though

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Motherboard, ram, AIO, case and power supply look fine. You should swap out the 3600XT for a 5600X if you can find one in stock, but I know that's a pretty big 'if' these days. Could also upgrade to a bigger SSD for more fast storage, but that's up to you. 

As for the GPU, I'm personally a fan of the Gigabyte Vision 3070 or 3080. The Asus Strix 3070 or 3080 is another option, but they're a little pricier than some other designs on the market. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 hours ago, bellabichon said:

Motherboard, ram, AIO, case and power supply look fine. You should swap out the 3600XT for a 5600X if you can find one in stock, but I know that's a pretty big 'if' these days. Could also upgrade to a bigger SSD for more fast storage, but that's up to you. 

As for the GPU, I'm personally a fan of the Gigabyte Vision 3070 or 3080. The Asus Strix 3070 or 3080 is another option, but they're a little pricier than some other designs on the market. 

Thank you. I didn’t realize the motherboard could do 5000 series so I limited myself to the 3000 series. 

As for Graphics cards right not they are all expensive so it’s just good to have options!

6 minutes ago, Clixism said:

Thank you. I didn’t realize the motherboard could do 5000 series so I limited myself to the 3000 series. 

No problem. For the motherboard, it's possible that you'll get a unit that hasn't had its BIOS flashed to support the 5600X, but the Asus ROG strix B550-A has USB BIOS flashback so it'll be super straightforward to flash it from a USB drive.

6 minutes ago, Clixism said:

As for Graphics cards right not they are all expensive so it’s just good to have options!

Not all of them are expensive (if we're talking MSRP), but the GPU market is completely upside-down right now because of lack of supply, and cards are regularly selling for 2 times their retail price. My advice would be to wait a few more months in the hope it all calms down a bit.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

3 hours ago, bellabichon said:

No problem. For the motherboard, it's possible that you'll get a unit that hasn't had its BIOS flashed to support the 5600X, but the Asus ROG strix B550-A has USB BIOS flashback so it'll be super straightforward to flash it from a USB drive.

Not all of them are expensive (if we're talking MSRP), but the GPU market is completely upside-down right now because of lack of supply, and cards are regularly selling for 2 times their retail price. My advice would be to wait a few more months in the hope it all calms down a bit.

Ok. This is super helpful and I am grateful. Two final questions! 1. What is BIOS flashing? And 2. Would a lower end older model Graphics card still work well. Ie. A 1080ti or a 2060? 

1. What is BIOS flashing?

BIOS flashing is updating the firmware on your motherboard. If you buy a 5600X CPU and a B550 motherboard, it's possible that your motherboard won't come with a BIOS version that supports your CPU, because B550 launched just before the latest Ryzen series. But don't worry, on the Asus ROG strix B550-A , updating it is very simple. Essentially all you need is to download the new BIOS version onto a USB drive and plug it into the motherboard (without CPU or RAM installed), plug the motherboard into the power supply, and press the BIOS flash button. The board will automatically update itself from the USB drive, and you should be able to boot with the 5600X after. There's detailed instructions on ASUS's website, here.

And 2. Would a lower end older model Graphics card still work well. Ie. A 1080ti or a 2060? 

Yep, it would work fine, and you're probably going to find that older graphics cards are most of what it available in this GPU shortage. A 1080ti or 2060 won't give you the same performance as a 3070 or 3080, but it'll work fine as a temporary solution until things calm down a bit. Just make sure you're not overpaying too hard because prices are all messed up. 

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):