Do I need a GPU for photo editing?

Sepster

I was looking to build a PC that would only be used for normal daily web browsing stuff and photo editing. I am a photographer and won’t need it for gaming (or video editing at this time). I was wondering if for now, I can get away with basically no gpu and use a iGPU or like a cheap gt710 or something from ebay?

Getting a Ryzen APU (Ryzen 5 is preferred) and a A520 board and lots of RAM will suffice for your purposes. Also an M.2 drive. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

2 minutes ago, Sepster said:

I was wondering if for now, I can get away with basically no gpu and use a iGPU or like a cheap gt710 or something from ebay?

Yes. While programs like Photoshop do support hardware acceleration it is not a must outside of some very specific features (see Photoshop GPU FAQ)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Unfortunately, the Adobe suite uses lots of GPU acceleration these days. And they don't seem to support older iGPUs anymore.

That was one of the reasons why I decided to build a new computer. I had to work on a project for a client, which involved using some Adobe programs in order to create some vectors and make some renders, and since my old i5 3210m was not recognised by Illustrator and AutoCAD, I decided it was time to actually get a real GPU, even if not the greatest I could find.

So, imo, either go with the CPU that has the best iGPU right now or actually see if you can still find some midtier GPU for a price that is not too far from its MSRP.

But it's getting harder and harder to find an acceptable deal even for cards like a GTX 1650, which can go for well above 350 bucks right now.

So, the choices are not great right now for professionals who actually need GPUs for work, not just for playing games.

The difference between using integrated graphics on the CPU and a discrete GPU is that the iGPU uses system RAM, it doesn't have its own VRAM.

Whereas a GPU has its own dedicated VRAM, which can be faster and spare your system's resources, that can be used on other tasks.

So maybe if you have enough RAM, you might be able to do a decent job with a powerful CPU that has a last generation iGPU.

But I would try and see if I could still find a GPU somewhere, even if it's just a GTX 1050 Ti or anything with at least GDDR6, because it's going to be way above what even the last generation iGPUs can offer.

Given current gpu availability and pricing, you might find stock and better pricing amongst the Quadro offerings.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Dunno where OP is located, but I can only find very old Quadro GPUs at low prices here.

Quadro P400 V2 2GB DDR5, 64Bit, Low Profile  $150

The cheapest Quadro with GDDR6 is:

Quadro RTX 4000, 8GB, GDDR6, 256bit   $2700

Or a Radeon with HBM2 memory:

Radeon Pro WX 9100 16GB, HBM2, 2048bit $2200

In between these, lots of other older Quadros with 2GB DDR5 that cost as much as a GTX 1650 with 4GB GDDR6 (somewhere under $400).

1 hour ago, TudorF said:

Dunno where OP is located, but I can only find very old Quadro GPUs at low prices here.

Quadro P400 V2 2GB DDR5, 64Bit, Low Profile  $150

The cheapest Quadro with GDDR6 is:

Quadro RTX 4000, 8GB, GDDR6, 256bit   $2700

Or a Radeon with HBM2 memory:

Radeon Pro WX 9100 16GB, HBM2, 2048bit $2200

In between these, lots of other older Quadros with 2GB DDR5 that cost as much as a GTX 1650 with 4GB GDDR6 (somewhere under $400).

Ouch! Those aren't very good options. 😞

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.