Razer DiamondBack not working

Charmeleonnz

Hiya,

So a while ago my razer diamondback 2015 suddenly stopped working, after playing around I found out the cable was bent and had broken so It would kinda work when I bent the cable in a certain way.

Fast forward a few months and I got one off ali express. I opened the mouse replaced the cable and when I plugged it into my computer the lights on the mouse all light up but windows does not detect anything, neither does razers software. I assume something else in the mouse is dead but would like your thoughts.

Thanks

Do you mean you bought a new cable off of ali express and soldered it onto your mouse? Check to make sure you didn't solder wires onto the wrong spots by accident. Also make sure your solder joints look fine. If you have a multimeter (if you have a soldering iron, I assume you also have a multimeter) check that there's continuity between the ends you soldered onto the mouse and at the USB connector to make sure there's not a break somewhere in the wire.

5 minutes ago, Kirkula said:

Do you mean you bought a new cable off of ali express and soldered it onto your mouse? Check to make sure you didn't solder wires onto the wrong spots by accident. Also make sure your solder joints look fine. If you have a multimeter (if you have a soldering iron, I assume you also have a multimeter) check that there's continuity between the ends you soldered onto the mouse and at the USB connector to make sure there's not a break somewhere in the wire.

Nah, the mouse has a proper plug in connector :). So its just a plug on the mainboard of the mouse. Just has a 4 wire pin.

5 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Nah, the mouse has a proper plug in connector :). So its just a plug on the mainboard of the mouse. Just has a 4 wire pin.

Did you try using the old wire again to troubleshoot if it's the new wire or the mouse itself, or did you already toss the old one?

Okay, so the internal JST has four wires in it coming directly from the USB-A connector, which contain a combination of power, data and ground. If they were arranged in the wrong order when you plugged it in, then the mouse won't work/will be fried depending on the combination. Look up the correct pinout for the Diamondback and rearrange your JST connector to match.

23 minutes ago, TheChromaBristlenose said:

Okay, so the internal JST has four wires in it coming directly from the USB-A connector, which contain a combination of power, data and ground. If they were arranged in the wrong order when you plugged it in, then the mouse won't work/will be fried depending on the combination. Look up the correct pinout for the Diamondback and rearrange your JST connector to match.

I'm just making a wild guess here, but if the connector was installed the wrong way around the mouse wouldn't have been able to have it's lights go on.

That being said, you're correct. Maybe at the factory they had the +5 and ground in right, but the data + and - backwards. Don't mind me, I've been up too long lol

Edited by Kirkula
I'm a numpty

The connector is keyed, so it can't go in the wrong way. You're probably correct in that only the data lines are swapped (in which case OP's mouse is still alive, yay). 

13 hours ago, Kirkula said:

Did you try using the old wire again to troubleshoot if it's the new wire or the mouse itself, or did you already toss the old one?

Yeah and it doesn't work with the old cable. But then again the lights hardly work with the old cable anyway.

13 hours ago, Kirkula said:

I'm just making a wild guess here, but if the connector was installed the wrong way around the mouse wouldn't have been able to have it's lights go on.

That being said, you're correct. Maybe at the factory they had the +5 and ground in right, but the data + and - backwards. Don't mind me, I've been up too long lol

The cable only goes in one way. Its keyed. I guess it could of been made wrong, but it had all the proper razer branding on the new cable.

13 hours ago, TheChromaBristlenose said:

Yeah I assume so. I had a google search and could not find the correct pinout. The cabkes from both the old and new cable look the exact same.

12 hours ago, TheChromaBristlenose said:

The connector is keyed, so it can't go in the wrong way. You're probably correct in that only the data lines are swapped (in which case OP's mouse is still alive, yay). 

Okay ill have a look. I thought it was odd that the lights work but nothing else, do you think the lights are controlled somewhere else on the board? 

I plugged the old cable in and move it to get a connection, it lit up and I heard the windows notification sound then told me power surge on usb port and that's it. Plugging the new cable in brings the lights and no sound or nothing.

Looking at both end of the cables they look identical.