Little help with a Dell monitor.

Geeyoulia

Heyya! So, I've had a Dell P2418D for about a year and a half now, and I absolutely love it! However, after around a year or so, the plastic cover in front of the screen started to pop out at the top; at first it barely made a difference, but after a couple of months, I noticed that more and more of it is slowly coming out, including the right side, so I started getting a little worried. (pictures attached)

I'm not sure if it's a polarizing filter, or just a plastic screen (judging by the fact that I can only see white behind it, I would assume it is a polarizing filter).

I believe I still have a couple of months of warranty, but since I use this monitor for my daily work, I would rather not send it out and not use it for I don't know how long.

So I came here to ask for advice. How easy it is (if even possible) for me to fix it by myself? Can it be removed and "glued" again somehow? Or I should just accept it and send it to Dell?

Thanks in advance! 💙

Spoiler

20210502_145553.jpg

20210502_145624.jpg

Edited by Geeyoulia
Pictures put under a spoiler for saving space.

so this monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-P2418D-23-8-16-Monitor/dp/B074MMR1V3

That doesn't look good, like the whole screen is going to fall out. (even able to see the backlight completely exposed?)

Would not want a new one of that model, if it's just going to have the same issue.

You could try ways to hold it back, but that can ruin your warranty and might not be able to fully solve your issue.

If you really need it, then I guess one just have to choose what you want to do.

else the screen will be good so long it doesn't break or fall out, or snapping cables if it happens to fall out.

15 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

so this monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-P2418D-23-8-16-Monitor/dp/B074MMR1V3

That doesn't look good, like the whole screen is going to fall out. (even able to see the backlight completely exposed?)

Would not want a new one of that model, if it's just going to have the same issue.

You could try ways to hold it back, but that can ruin your warranty and might not be able to fully solve your issue.

If you really need it, then I guess one just have to choose what you want to do.

else the screen will be good so long it doesn't break or fall out, or snapping cables if it happens to fall out.

It's exactly the one you sent!

As far as I could tell, only the plastic cover on top is coming out. I believe the panel itself is sitting safe inside the frame, and so is the backlight. Isn't the white portion the unpolarized screen?

Yeah I think you're right, I should probably not try to do anything with it and preseve the warranty. I'll contact Dell about it to see what can be done.

Thanks for the help! 💙

11 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

That definitely looks like a product defect to me and I would RMA it back to Dell.

Perhaps you could borrow a monitor off a friend in the meantime?

It sure looks like it :(. Maybe it wasn't glued properly or something along those lines.

I'll try to contact Dell about it, hopefully it falls under the warranty.

I'll see if I can borrow a monitor in the meantime. 

Thank you so much! 💙

I would RMA that immediately - if you have a spare monitor, use it for the time being. If you don't, go on Facebook Marketplace or another local buy/sell site and pick up a POS monitor for $20.

It looks like the plastic has split all along the corner edge. That doesn't look like it's just popping out, but like your frame (the front bezel) is cracked and splitting. I wouldn't attempt to fix it yourself, as that's just a bandaid solution (and you're under warranty anyway).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)