First Custom Built PC Ever (that I bought used) ... wasn't built correctLY. Dual Channel not recognized

Go to solution Solved by AndersWSP,

Verify that both ram sticks are actually working.

Consider that the previous owner did this on purpose, maybe some of the ram slots are bad. With 1 for sure working stick of ram, test all the ram slots.

I'm not aware of any setting in bios to disable half the ram, unless it's reserving them for an onboard gpu, that you don't have.

So I've just made my first step into the PC Master Race. (And still a relative newb to actually selecting parts and troubleshooting custom PCs)

I bought a used Custom Built Gaming PC on FB Marketplace. The seller said that a friend had built it for him.
Got him to throw in a 24" 144hz (1080P) Curved Monitor from MSI on a floating arm. and a keyboard and mouse.

But upon closer inspection I discovered SYS FAN 1 wasn't spinning (back exhaust). Easy enough fix, 3 pin connector was on the wrong pins.

I took that time to reroute cables as the non modular power supply had all sorts of excess in the main cavity of the case.
I didn't notice this before, because the "window" on my side panel is a small acrylic sort of  sideways "V" shape, but the 2 8 gig mem sticks are installed directly next to each other. 
(So not dual channel) They are labeled  DDR4_4 | DDR4_2 | DDR4_3 | DDR_1 in the manual from left to right.

They are installed in DDR4_4 & DDR4_2 and all 16gb show as available.

So with the power off I at first did  DDR4_4 & DDR4_3 boot the computer up and after several boot cycles it finally posted. Ram says that 16 are installed but only half useable.

Ok so Check the Manual... Says:

For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 sockets.

So I do that.

Same issue when I check "about my pc" shows 16 installed but only half available.
So for now, I have them back in the DDR4_4 & DDR4_2 slots, since at least is available...

Is this something I need to fix with XMP in the BIOS?
This is where my expertise goes out the window. Appreciate even the most kindergarten level explanation thank you.

Currently have to game on Wife's PC (see profile) so instead here's my Home Theater Setup!

TV: 2019 65" Vizio P-Series Quantum X | Media Streamer: Roku Ultra 2020 | UHD Player: Panasonic UB820 | Consoles: PS5 with 4TB external SSC, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo WiiU (Ethernet to everything)

SOUND
5.1.4 AVR: Marantz SR6014 | 2 Polk S55 Mains, Polk S35 Center, 2 Polk S50 Sides, 4 Polk S15 Height Channels, HTS 12 Subwoofer

Have you tried cleaning the RAM slots and the pins on each stick with isopropyl alcohol?

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

Use the right most slot, and then the 3rd slot over.
image.png.11c20fb5745d1251afbfabcb0f1d7d39.png

Gigabyte went stupid with numbering order.  

18 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Use the right most slot, and then the 3rd slot over.
image.png.11c20fb5745d1251afbfabcb0f1d7d39.png

Gigabyte went stupid with numbering order.  

Yes, I did that but had the same result. only half are available.

Currently have to game on Wife's PC (see profile) so instead here's my Home Theater Setup!

TV: 2019 65" Vizio P-Series Quantum X | Media Streamer: Roku Ultra 2020 | UHD Player: Panasonic UB820 | Consoles: PS5 with 4TB external SSC, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo WiiU (Ethernet to everything)

SOUND
5.1.4 AVR: Marantz SR6014 | 2 Polk S55 Mains, Polk S35 Center, 2 Polk S50 Sides, 4 Polk S15 Height Channels, HTS 12 Subwoofer

23 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Have you tried cleaning the RAM slots and the pins on each stick with isopropyl alcohol?

no. But that does make sense, there is some caked up dust in harder to reach areas. so since those slots went unused, they may need  good cleaning.

SOUND

It can be a number of things that's the problem here..

1: The DIMM slots need to be cleaned

2: One of your RAM sticks is bad

3: One or multiple of your DIMM slots are bad.

4: Random PC bullshittery 

Also, if the issue persists I've read switching the sticks around in the dual channel slots can work the issue out.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

29 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

It can be a number of things that's the problem here..

1: The DIMM slots need to be cleaned

2: One of your RAM sticks is bad

3: One or multiple of your DIMM slots is bad.

4: Random PC bullshittery 

Also, if the issue persists I've read switching the sticks around in the dual channel slots can work the issue out.

1. I'll definitely check that.

2. I would think so too. But it's fully recognized in slots 4 & 2 (single channel)

3. Also likely,  slots 3 & 1 weren't used before... Maybe there is a reason?

4. Likely this. If there was already an XMP profile on the BIOS could that mess it up?

SOUND

Consider that the previous owner did this on purpose, maybe some of the ram slots are bad. With 1 for sure working stick of ram, test all the ram slots.

I'm not aware of any setting in bios to disable half the ram, unless it's reserving them for an onboard gpu, that you don't have.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:22 PM, AndersWSP said:

Turns out your idea was right.

Neither of those DIMM slots will boot with one working RAM stick.
Not a big deal. Just a bummer I can't fill all 4 if I wanted to (or do dual channel)

SOUND