Motherboard won't detect gpu

hi, im using a Asus PRIME H310I-PLUS R2.0 itx with a i5 9400t, 16gb ram, corsair sf450. I took a working gtx 1080 from my pc to put into this once and it doesn't detect the gpu, have done the latest bios update, fresh install of windows. chipset drivers. just will not detect it. put in a quadro k620 and it was detected but the gtx wasn't. Any help would be nice thanks.

You went from a card that consumes 41W to a card that consumes 140W more at the top end.  Power may or may not be the cause though.  Did you plug the extra power connections into the 1080? Do you have a way of measuring the wattage used by the PSU, such as with a display on a UPS, or something like a Kill-a-Watt?  What display connections on the 1080 have you tried?

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

You went from a card that consumes 41W to a card that consumes 140W more at the top end.  Power may or may not be the cause though.  Did you plug the extra power connections into the 1080? Do you have a way of measuring the wattage used by the PSU, such as with a display on a UPS, or something like a Kill-a-Watt?  What display connections on the 1080 have you tried?

tried all the ports on the psu, different psu cables. the gpu fan is spinning and light is on. tried display port and hdmi connections. have another psu to try in the morning. but the sf 450 has been fine in other builds

1 minute ago, Gottboost said:

tried all the ports on the psu, different psu cables. the gpu fan is spinning and light is on. tried display port and hdmi connections. have another psu to try in the morning. but the sf 450 has been fine in other builds

Well, specifically, I wasn't questioning your PSU's quality.  I was asking if there was enough overall wattage for the system with that GPU in it.  I was also asking if you connected the PCI-E power connections to the 1080 (typically one 6 pin and one 8 pin for the 1080).

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Well, specifically, I wasn't questioning your PSU's quality.  I was asking if there was enough overall wattage for the system with that GPU in it.  I was also asking if you connected the PCI-E power connections to the 1080 (typically one 6 pin and one 8 pin for the 1080).

yeah the 1080 only has 1 8pin and its connected. should be plenty of wattage, cpu is only like 40w

your PSU may not be enough to run everything in your system anymore. i just used EVGAs power meter for a PSU calculation and i guessed on some parts of it because they were not there or didnt have what you say you have but the total i got was for 410W so anything 450W or better would work but i did not get exact.

you can try it for yourself here. EVGA - Power Meter

the GPU may also not be seating properly because something might be in the way.

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

your PSU may not be enough to run everything in your system anymore. i just used EVGAs power meter for a PSU calculation and i guessed on some parts of it because they were not there or didnt have what you say you have but the total i got was for 410W so anything 450W or better would work but i did not get exact.

you can try it for yourself here. EVGA - Power Meter

the GPU may also not be seating properly because something might be in the way.

tried a riser aswell, no luck, have a 500watt silverstone ill try in the morning. 9400t,16gb 2666mhz ram, 256gb nvme ssd, 1tb hdd,intel cooler, 120mm fan

8 minutes ago, Gottboost said:

tried a riser aswell, no luck, have a 500watt silverstone ill try in the morning. 9400t,16gb 2666mhz ram, 256gb nvme ssd, 1tb hdd,intel cooler, 120mm fan

using the EVGA power meter i did because some of the components are not there on the list. 1 GPU a geforce GTX 1080, Intel Z390 / Z370 / H370 / B360 because it allows for the i5 9000 series to be selected, the i5 9400F because its the only i5 9400, 1 SSD and 1 HDD not overclocked and this is what i got as the results.

Wattage Calculated: 413

suggested PSUs 450-550

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

using the EVGA power meter i did because some of the components are not there on the list. 1 GPU a geforce GTX 1080, Intel Z390 / Z370 / H370 / B360 because it allows for the i5 9000 series to be selected, the i5 9400F because its the only i5 9400, 1 SSD and 1 HDD not overclocked and this is what i got as the results.

EVGA - Power Meter

yeah, will give the other psu a shot in the morning.

3 minutes ago, Gottboost said:

yeah, will give the other psu a shot in the morning.

that would be the best and cheapest way to find out for now and hope that is all it is. 

and before i forget. EVGA is actually doing a livestream on Tuesdays, Thurs. and Fridays on their twitch channel so you can ask them directly.

TEAMEVGA - Twitch

14 hours ago, tdkid said:

that would be the best and cheapest way to find out for now and hope that is all it is. 

and before i forget. EVGA is actually doing a livestream on Tuesdays, Thurs. and Fridays on their twitch channel so you can ask them directly.

TEAMEVGA - Twitch

no luck tried the new psu. will have to take it back

2 minutes ago, Gottboost said:

no luck tried the new psu. will have to take it back

well that sucks. if you want to MSI should be doing a livesteam tomorrow on youtube and twitch and you can ask them why they think its not working. i knoiw it may not be an MSI GPU but they still might be abler to help.