GTX1070 Low Hash Rate

Hey there!

After spending the last month mining with NiceHash I've decided to move over to mining ETH using Phoenix Miner on my PC as I'm not gaming any more due to work commitments and would rather have it sat here churning away some crypto. After some tinkering and getting the card stable during testing over the weekend with the below over clock using MSI Afterburner I cannot seem to get above 25.5MH/s consistently. Got to say I may be slightly hooked!

Core: +50 (Tried 100 but wasn't stable after 6+ hours)

Mem: +500 (Tried 700 but wasn't stable afer 6+ hours)

Power Limit: 75%

Fan Speed: 85% non-auto

The card I have is this KFA2 monstrisity: https://www.kfa2.com/kfa2/graphics-card/10-series/kfa2-geforcer-gtx-1070-ex.html

I know the card is not an ex mining card as I bought it from a friend who had it about 18 months for light gaming use and when i say light, he played LoL on it, I have 3 x 120mm fans sucking in cold air as it's setup near an open window so I don't reckon thermals are an issue, the card's sat between 65-67 Celsius consistently.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, I know some people say the 1070 should be able to get 30MH/s easily but unsure if I'm on the unlucky end of the silicon lottery.

(If I've posted this in the incorrect place, please move it)

Cheers in advance!

45 minutes ago, MSH4190 said:

Hey there!

After spending the last month mining with NiceHash I've decided to move over to mining ETH using Phoenix Miner on my PC as I'm not gaming any more due to work commitments and would rather have it sat here churning away some crypto. After some tinkering and getting the card stable during testing over the weekend with the below over clock using MSI Afterburner I cannot seem to get above 25.5MH/s consistently. Got to say I may be slightly hooked!

Core: +50 (Tried 100 but wasn't stable after 6+ hours)

Mem: +500 (Tried 700 but wasn't stable afer 6+ hours)

Power Limit: 75%

Fan Speed: 85% non-auto

The card I have is this KFA2 monstrisity: https://www.kfa2.com/kfa2/graphics-card/10-series/kfa2-geforcer-gtx-1070-ex.html

I know the card is not an ex mining card as I bought it from a friend who had it about 18 months for light gaming use and when i say light, he played LoL on it, I have 3 x 120mm fans sucking in cold air as it's setup near an open window so I don't reckon thermals are an issue, the card's sat between 65-67 Celsius consistently.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, I know some people say the 1070 should be able to get 30MH/s easily but unsure if I'm on the unlucky end of the silicon lottery.

(If I've posted this in the incorrect place, please move it)

Cheers in advance!

try turning the clock speed all the way down as clock speed dont matter that much. I have my 3070 undervolted to 1400MHz at 0,75V and memory at +1300.

This gives me 60MH at 115-120W.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Cheers Tegneren! I'll give that a whirl.

5 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

try turning the clock speed all the way down as clock speed dont matter that much. I have my 3070 undervolted to 1400MHz at 0,75V and memory at +1300.

This gives me 60MH at 115-120W.

Given that a whirl with -400 on the core clock and it's tanked the hash rate to 19 😞

1 minute ago, MSH4190 said:

Given that a whirl with -400 on the core clock and it's tanked the hash rate to 19 😞

Ok maybe not all the way down then.

Did you do anything to memory speed? Memory speed is where you can gain the most

Im not really familiar with the 1070, so I dont know what to expect in terms of overclock or undervolt capability. But my understanding is when you turn down the clock speed you free up more powerbudget for memory OC

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

4 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Ok maybe not all the way down then.

Did you do anything to memory speed? Memory speed is where you can gain the most

Im not really familiar with the 1070, so I dont know what to expect in terms of overclock or undervolt capability. But my understanding is when you turn down the clock speed you free up more powerbudget for memory OC

OK seems underclocking the 10-series is not the way to go. Try the settings from this table

image.png.6086e1ace75cb276c2ee2c84b177b08e.png

I have managed to get it sitting at 26.3 after some further tinkering as per your above recommendations, I've also pulled the HDMI cable out and let it sit there chugging away.

I'll monitor it form the ethermine address page, granted it's the 'current' hash rate is 30.1 on the Ethermine page but I don't know how true that really is?

For the Pascal series typically you want to experiment with overclocking the core and underclocking the memory. Try setting a negative offset for the memory clock. What's also worth a shot is to try the straps settings from PhoenixMiner and to grab GPU-Z and monitor the memory controller load. Try to get that as high as possible.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Thanks buddy. After some further tinkering and OC of the core I've managed to get to between 27.3 and 27.8 which is better than anything so far.

I'm going to do some more tinkering with the "-Straps 1 2 or 3" parameter in my miner bat file and run as admin from CMD by using the CD command. If I got 29 I'll be a happy miner.

Sounds like a daft question...

Running the PC with no display output from the 1070... Would this make a blind bit of difference?

2 hours ago, MSH4190 said:

Sounds like a daft question...

Running the PC with no display output from the 1070... Would this make a blind bit of difference?

Probably not. Perusing around a bit 27 MH/s sounds about right now.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB