Most popular e-sport game.

Harshil

Couldn't care less what is more popular, only what is best/ most competitive: Natural Selection 2 and Red Orchestra 2.

But these sad little casual games are ok for driving up Twitch revenue and infrastructure at the very least.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

By popularity it's League of Legends > Dota 2 > Starcraft 2 > Counter-Strike. 

Personal favourite is Dota 2, though, which apparently is Data 2 now.  :P

LOL, wanna play together some time?

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey what do you think is the most popular and and the best e-sport game? Please vote above.

why did you include battlefield and cod? seriously.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Those poll results... It's not wether you like another game more, but about the most fuzz around any game which is clearly League... God I hate the game but it's clearly the biggest e-sports title by far at this moment

well the op said which is more popular and you like the most... not knowing which I should choose (I hate lol too) I just went with my favourite.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 3 weeks later...

Topic title is the most popular and the poll asks for favourite...

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could choose both CS: GO and Call of Duty. However, I watch Call of Duty esports a lot more. I know, Call of Duty sucks, especially Ghosts, but I like the competitive scene. My favorite team, btw, is Optic Gaming, no surprise there.

i make music: http://www.soundcloud.com/kopacetic

Beets for the children.

Dota 2 is by far the biggest eSports game till date. Have you guys seen the prize pool for the International 2014?

eh, biggest prize pool by far. but if riot allowed crowdfunding for whatever their big tournament is, i'm sure the middle schoolers that play Lol could convince their parents to pay enough for a 20 million prize pool.

I have played both the games and felt that Dota 2 has superior mechanics and a more balanced gameplay. Maybe that's just me but since 2013, LoL just felt dated in front of Dota 2.

Dota 2 is by far the biggest eSports game till date. Have you guys seen the prize pool for the International 2014?

Just because Valve makes a huge tournament once a year doesn't mean they invest more in E-sports. Riot Games pays salary of 16 teams (5 players each), hosting LCS every week (salaries for everyone that works in the studio) and tournament cash (all-stars, the worlds). I am sure it adds up to more than 10 million a year.

Just because Valve makes a huge tournament once a year doesn't mean they invest more in E-sports. Riot Games pays salary of 16 teams (5 players each), hosting LCS every week (salaries for everyone that works in the studio) and tournament cash (all-stars, the worlds). I am sure it adds up to more than 10 million a year.

you just listed every problem with that model and why it isn't sustainable in the long run. the moment riots player base starts shrinking significantly, the game is screwed totally.

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

No one can know for sure since Riot never actually discloses the number of players. They just claim they are more popular than Jesus.

But if we judge by the Twitch.tv alone the most watched game there is League of Legends so if that's an accurate indication of popularity League of Legends is the most popular.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

you just listed every problem with that model and why it isn't sustainable in the long run. the moment riots player base starts shrinking significantly, the game is screwed totally.

I am sure they are safe for atleast the next 5 years if not more. The LCS works as a marketing tool and the playerbase only continues to grow.

Also the data is revealed http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/, but many claim it's fake just as The Worlds Championship 3 peak live viewers, which I believe is not true.

I am sure they are safe for atleast the next 5 years if not more. The LCS works as a marketing tool and the playerbase only continues to grow.

Also the data is revealed http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/, but many claim it's fake just as The Worlds Championship 3 peak live viewers, which I believe is not true.

I totally believe that many people play, the amount of people I've met IRL that play LoL is ridiculous, and not even people I know, just random people discussing it in stores etc.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Dota as an Esports came out even before lol did. It was back in warcraft 3. Valve just made their own version. So in this poll, i'm siding with Dota 2. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Dota as an Esports came out even before lol did. It was back in warcraft 3. Valve just made their own version. So in this poll, i'm siding with Dota 2. 

That's not a good argument at all. You could say that StarCraft or even Pac Man came out earier than Dota/WC3 or whatever, but it doesn't make it popular.

LOL is the most popular, and that's another reason for me to FREAKING HATE its community (in my country at least)

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

Voted Dota 2 just because it's my choice of eSport game right now. Not too suprised that LoL and Dota 2 are on top. Personally I really love CS as well, back from even the 1.1 day, from 1.6 to Source and now Global Offensive

Spoiler

That's not a good argument at all. You could say that StarCraft or even Pac Man came out earier than Dota/WC3 or whatever, but it doesn't make it popular.

But Dota 2 and DotA are on parity, so they are the same game pretty much with different graphics

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

If I have to go by numbers Lol and Dota win hands down.

If I'm talking about the best esport game it is Brood War no competition it paved the way for esports to become what it has.

If I'm talking about my personal favourite its Starcraft 2 even if the prolevel is completely dominated by protoss at the minute.

Poll says favourite game thread says most popular :L

I think MOBA's are the most boring games ever made.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I REALLY like to watch CS:GO tournaments, they just feel so tense and teambased.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

After all, if not for dota there would be no lol. And based on my observation, (i've been playing the game since 2007) it was very popular from the beginning. Especially here in SEA.

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

After all, if not for dota there would be no lol. And based on my observation, (i've been playing the game since 2007) it was very popular from the beginning. Especially here in SEA.

I am not arguing which is the best game or which one is more balanced. LoL was even marketed as a 'Dota experience' with matchmaking in the earliest stages and most of their employees were creators and modders of Dota. But now, after 5 years, it's a completely different game with different mechanics and skillsets and comparing both in terms of gameplay isn't fair. Both have evolved into huge e-sport titles, but read the name of the topic again - "Most popular e-sport game" and that is League of Legends.

If you think otherwise, please, bring up valid arguments that doesn't include which game was first or which game wouldn't exist without the other.

I am not arguing which is the best game or which one is more balanced. LoL was even marketed as a 'Dota experience' with matchmaking in the earliest stages and most of their employees were creators and modders of Dota. But now, after 5 years, it's a completely different game with different mechanics and skillsets and comparing both in terms of gameplay isn't fair. Both have evolved into huge e-sport titles, but read the name of the topic again - "Most popular e-sport game" and that is League of Legends.

If you think otherwise, please, bring up valid arguments that doesn't include which game was first or which game wouldn't exist without the other.

Well, yeah knowing that some people prefer "simple" gameplay. LOL really is the most popular between the 2. Saying that those games are completely different is just dumb as fuck. They are basically the same game but with different mechanics. I.E no creep deny in LOL whereas in Dota 2 it is possible. 

Well, yeah knowing that some people prefer "simple" gameplay. LOL really is the most popular between the 2. Saying that those games are completely different is just dumb as fuck. They are basically the same game but with different mechanics. I.E no creep deny in LOL whereas in Dota 2 it is possible. 

The most popular e-sports is the topic. Seriously, are you even reading or are you the usual DotA 2 elitist that refuses to accept that LoL is just as much competitive as Dota? Dota may have harder learning curve but the skill ceiling is the same, but once again the topic isn't about the best game but the most popular e-sports. Going to end the argument here if you reply with something irrevelant again.