Save Win10 running-image/Restore-Point to "Bootable.ISO"?

RRIP

Dear IT GODS,

I hope I can explain my needs properly... I need help with: Creating "MY OWN.ISO" (system image/restore point), to flash onto a BOOTABLE USB, for inevitable SYSTEM RECOVERY.

So,

For whatever reason, someone needs to do a OS INSTALL... in my case, I want to transition into Linux, and I need to split my single 1TB SSD partition running Win10 to accommodate it (apparently one can't just shrink an existing/OS running SSD partition due to how files are written on them... I have 500GB FREE, but WDM only lets me shrink 2777MB. I tried other tools like DiskGenius and PartitionExpert, but after some 20mins booting process each, they haven't done anything either... so, starting from scratch, wipe everything, format/partition).

I know it's a bad idea to only have 1 partition in a system, but I have another HDD  in my laptop, that I use for backup, so I didn't think I'd need to partition the primary one, since I was fine with only a 'C: Drive'... Actually, I thought I could resize it later, if need be, as I've done in the past, but on another HDD, and didn't do my homework on SSDs.

Anyway, I'm sick of CLEAN OS INSTALLs..

Instead of using the official-win10.ISO to flash onto a Bootable-USB with their limited Recovery-Tool, I want to create an ISO after having done ALL of my OCD system tweaks and installed my must-have programs... (I always loose 2 days customizing and installing everything I can think of/write down, and I still forget something, so for the next month I keep having to tweak and change settings one at a time, as the appear/interrupt my fluid workflow... it's frustrating!)

So, scenario...

1. I boot into some 'Recovery-tools'... FORMAT/Partition my drive (don't know much about MBR/GPT, but I manage to get a system up and running)...

2. I do a Windows10 CLEAN INSTALL (and start thing, download latest updates).

3. I tweak/configure the sh!t out of microsoft's DEFAULT SETTINGS, to my OCD liking (Delete pre-installed crap, de-clutter, go to Advanced-System-Settings - set for Performance/set protection/restore points etc, Go through every single tab in SETTINGS and every single item in CONTROL PANEL (+ Admin Tools) and configure them properly... i.e. Disable Auto-Play/Sharing/Remote access/Services etc...)

THIS IS THE MOST TIME-CONSUMING & FRUSTRATING STEP!!! Which is why I'm transitioning into Linux, once and for all... better late than never, but I want to forget about Microsoft/Windows by 2023! 

4. I INSTALL ESSENTIAL SOFTWARE (Office, Notepad++, Opera & Chrome Browsers, needed MicrosoftSQL/Visual/etc, Java, Foxit or Abby PDF reader, K-lite codecs, Pot Player & BS Player, WinAmp, 7zip or RAR, Power ISO, NetWorx and whatever 'System Care/Tune-up Tools'...)

5. With whatever "System Tools", I further OPTIMIZE the system and UPDATE DRIVERS (Driver Booster)... I know, 20 years ago, drivers were the first thing you installed, but now any Windows installation includes some universal drivers for a lot of things, and as long as I got Internet, I can scan for and can get the drivers I need.

Some newer ones cause issues with my old/2011 laptop (sound still playing through speakers after plugging in headset) so have to ignore/remove them and manually install from original source... or other apps not running properly or starting at all on Win 10, so I have to get them from my laptop's original "Win7 Drivers-DVD" image and run in compatibility mode (programs like "Creative THX" to make my speakers sound awesome, and "ASUS Splendid" for my display... a filter to protect me from eye-strain and headaches, I MUST HAVE IT!).

Anyway, had my fair share of headaches with drivers and compatibility...

6. After having configured/optimized OS, got latest drivers & updates, installed all the programs/utilities needed day to day, and system is running smoothly, I then Create a System RESTORE POINT!

6B. I could proceed with installing Photoshop, PowerDirector, CAD, and other larger, trusted programs, and then having a Final Restore Point that I can trust to be reliable for recovery, after which I can install and remove games, other programs, plugins/addons, security software, vpns and whatnot, that could compromise my system's optimal performance...

7. Now, I want to SAVE to "BOOTABLE.ISO" this 6. Restore Point, Exact STATE/Clone-Image of the smooth-running OS, to become my new 'Clean OS Install'.

So, NOT having to install win-10.iso, and then waste days doing all these steps again.

I want to Format a drive, and install "THIS.ISO" like a typical "Clean Install".

I don't care for microsoft's recovery tools (keep the settings, delete the data / save personal data and restore factory settings or whatnot)... I want to erase everything and install from 0!

ALSO, lets say I skip the 'install/update drivers' step (specific to a device/model), and create a "universal-image" before that, to have this "Win10-Optimized+Essentials" on a ISO to boot on another laptop, and then I'll deal with its drivers, easy since the program to find them would already be installed.

(I have 2 laptops, a 17" ROG I bought in 2011, and a 15" I bought last year for travel, as my gaming one is massive and heavy). So, I'd like both devices synced/running the same STATE of Windows configurations, onto which I can install programs specific for each device.

I don't want do do another 'barebone' stock install, not for the lack of programs, but the 'B!tch2set-up' Windows default settings and bloatware (Store/Photos/Movies/Camera/Phone and other apps I don't use, for a good reason).

"Do you know what I'm saying?" (Butters - South-Park S13.E9) :))

Have I explained this properly? I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting this...

So, can someone, PLEASE, recommend a software to create a System-Image/Restore-Point to a "bootable.ISO", to flash onto a USB?

FYI

I've heard about Acronis, EaseUS, Macro and other BackUP/Image recovery programs, but I don't want a software that creates some "Backup/Clone" file onto an external disk, with its own extension, like a VM file, and then need that software to restore that 'Back-up'... I haven't had any good experiences with those in the past and I want something simple and universal like a ISO and BIOS/UEFI boot.

I want it simple and old-skewl, like downloading an original-OS.iso, Boot, install it and done!

Similar to a Linux Distro, where I can download multiple ISOs, either 'clean/minimal' or 'full/packed' with software already installed. AWESOME LINUX! THANKS DEVELOPERS!

Also, like GApps on Android... either get the 'stock/full' zip, with all the apps pre-installed, or the 'pico/nano' version if you just want PlayStore and none of the other stuff (Books, Magazines, News, Hangout, Calendar, Pixel, Photos, Contacts etc).

I'm currently downloading Medicat, HirensBootPE, BobOmbs... first time trying these.

I can deal with formatting and making my 2 partitions, despite not knowing much about MBR/GPT, and don't know if there's anything special to be done to make both partitions bootable (Linux aside Win10) or it's like that by default, but I'll figure it out...

I just wanted to have the "MY.ISO" ready to boot from after... but I guess I can't do a backup now anyway, because I've been using this OS install for 10 months, and installed/removed a lot of programs, so a lot of garbage leftover in 'ProgramData', 'Common', 'User/Local-Roaming' etc, that none of the 'system tune-up tools' ever remove, and I don't want to carry those onto another install, after all, I want to REFRESH the system and get rid of junk.

Dammit, I wouldn't know where to begin after a clean/stripped install... a Microsoft nightmare! Sucking the life out of me for over a decade! ... Microsoft SuccuBox!

I want this to be the last time I have to do a Basic/Clean install from the "official-microsoft-win10.iso"... I will install it, waste another 2 days tweaking/optimizing it, install my programs, and by then hopefully I'll find a program to copy my running system onto an ISO. (I just wanted to try that program before the reinstall, as in the past 2 days I kept installing, testing and deleted software that didn't work or doesn't do what I want...)

Oh, I haven't mentioned the stressful activation/licensing of it all... I have Physical packages/official USB drive of Win 10 and Office 2019, and every time I reinstall them on a clean OS, I can't activate them, and have to waste more time googling for answers... Google because contacting Microsoft support has repeatedly proved to be a waste of time! (Which is also why I want to remove their 'support' and 'feedback' apps from the my systems)... Come on 2023!!

I apologize if this thread is long, but I believe the answers to it could be a great resource for many.

Before writing this I spent a fair amount searching for things like "how to create an ISO of a running system, save Win to ISO, clone/mirror image to iso", not to another HDD and downloaded a bunch of programs from the articles found, but haven't worked...  I could be over-complicating this...   

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND SUPPORT!

You're not going to create an ISO that is bootable, and also allows you to "install" said image to a disk without some software magic. Luckily, such software exists, such as Macrium Reflect. I know you don't want to have to resort to third-party software, but what you're looking to accomplish is a time-consuming headache at best, impossible at worst.

Reflect (and other comparable software) will do exactly what you're asking for. You get a bootable rescue environment, which you can then use to restore a previously created image from your perfectly-customized install in the event your current working OS becomes borked.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 hour ago, Kid.Lazer said:

You're not going to create an ISO that is bootable, and also allows you to "install" said image to a disk without some software magic. Luckily, such software exists, such as Macrium Reflect. I know you don't want to have to resort to third-party software, but what you're looking to accomplish is a time-consuming headache at best, impossible at worst.

Reflect (and other comparable software) will do exactly what you're asking for. You get a bootable rescue environment, which you can then use to restore a previously created image from your perfectly-customized install in the event your current working OS becomes borked.

THANK YOU for the reply!

I was thinking this is the only way... Well, I've heard of it and I presume Macrium Reflect is like Acronis True Image, right?

I installed Acronis 2021, but anyway... I'm also downloading the FREE Macrium now to check it out...

So, in this case, I'd have to:

1. Install Macrium/or similar, and do a 'image backup'...

2. Also with it, build a "Bootable/Deployment Media" USB... 

3. Boot from USB Media > Format/partition etc...

4. And what are my options now?? 

4a. Do I need to install a Windows first (onto which I then have to install Macrium to restore its 'image backup' saved on some external drive)? ...this sounds kind of counter-productive, extra-steps and dumb.

OR

4b. Can I Restore the 'image backup' directly/straight onto a fresh/empty partition (WITHOUT having to first install a Windows, then Macrium)?...which I think is exactly what you said.

I guess this 2nd method is what I want in the end, kinda... instead of using a USB as a deployment tool, and another source with my 'Backup", I want the Backup.image onto the 'Deployment/bootable USB' itself... and then, plug that in, Boot to give me 'recovery' access to alter the hard-disk, partition/format, and then 'Restore ISO'! ...instead of 'Install Clean Windows'... and then extra steps. And this should all fit onto a 64GB USB stick.

IF 4a (don't like that, and I think it's pretty stupid) is an actual option, will the backup be restored/adding the extra essential-programs (and skipping existing/Windows files), or actually overwrite the entire partition, Windows default settings, files and all (*.ini, *.dll, .reg etc) that store the setting I make?? This is why I prefer a 'from-zero approach', not having to overwrite(replace/maybe) onto existing anything... 

Well, I guess I'll have to experiment myself (like always/best way to learn), with a bunch of these programs...

But what I was thinking of is: copying every folder/file (hidden+system) from "C:" (like ProgramFiles, ProgramData, Users, Windows), then (Optional) try to manually delete some of the garbage in ProgramData, ProgramFiles>Common, Users> User>AppData>Local/Roaming and so on (but there's a lot of it and I don't know what belongs to where), and then copy all this to another drive/partition...

But I don't think that'd work as there's something to be done to make it bootable, right?

I'm assuming that's what the cloning process does? Operates at that hidden-level/writes some commands to make something bootable? 

So then, I was thinking what if I copy all these and add them to a .ISO, and then use Rufus/Etcher/etc to make that bootable?

...but then it'll be like a LiveCD thing (if it'll even work), no? So I won't have the option to extract that ISO onto the empty partition, then somehow set that as bootable... I thought I could do this myself, without requiring a software...

I have Acronis installed, but I was deterred by the fact that it had to download 2 Microsoft deployment/assessment tools, like 7GB... which I thought, wtf, in the past I booted from a 100mb USB tool, and the Win10 installation USB is 3GB... so why download another 7??

I also didn't understand the features very well...

I think BACKUP is the same as me copying files/folders manually onto another drive, so no booting...

CLONE would make another drive bootable, and gives me an option to partition space before/after the 'clone', but won't give me the option to choose the files I need, like in BACKUP... It takes all allocated space, which is 500GB, but only 60GB are the relevant Windows+ProgramFiles+Data, the rest are games...

Damn, I'm loosing my patience with this, wasted 2 whole days... I'll try Macrium and do it that way, last time and hopefully not have to use it until I'm fully transitioned into Linux... I would throw Windows away now, but I still have to rely on some programs I can't find on Linux... and I've heard of Wine... don't know if that's like VM but anyway...

Thank you, Kid.Lazer!

This might be the clear, obvious and recommended solution, and I'm just overthinking everything... (but still, my way, at least in my head, is a lot simpler, lol)

I appreciate your help!

I'll see how what I can do with Reflect, and maybe I'll post a simple-straight forward procedure... this means I have to do a clean install, set it all up, 'image it', and wipe it just to prove it worked... will see.

Have a good day/night all,

Kind regards

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Quite honestly, Macrium Reflect is very easy to use, and I feel you're putting too much stress into "having another program." As to Acaronis True Image, I haven't used in a quite a few years and simply don't know what it's capable of, so I couldn't tell you if it will work or not.

As to how it would function, your 4b scenario is correct. No previous installation is required to restore an old backup. As long as you have a boot-able Reflect rescue environment (that the program will help you create), you can flash it to any drive, on any system (with limits on driver/hardware compatibility, of course.)

There are 2 options basically. One is to keep a rescue USB with a current backup image so can both boot and flash from said drive all in one shot. The alternative would be to store the image separately, either on a NAS, or a separate drive in your system, that you can navigate to in the event you need to perform a restore. For me, I like to keep a spinning rust drive dedicated to weekly backups. Then I always have them ready to go if I ever have a problem.

If I understand your use-case though, you probably don't even need to keep Reflect installed. You can create boot-able rescue media, create a backup image, then uninstall Reflect as you will then have all the data you need to revert to the original "clean" Windows install.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV