My issues with Floatplane (it's been a while)

This whole thing was (probably) due to some technical issues, I didn't see the video on FP at all, until some ten minutes ago, it's slighty redundant now, but if you want to read it, read it.

Spoiler

Well... Here it is. That one post I've been debating over making for about a year. Here's a short disclaimer: I don't hate LTT, otherwise I wouldn't be subscribed on FP, I wouldn't have bought some merch, and watched all the vids. I like what LTT does, like probably everyone else that reads this forum. But there've been some issues I've had with Floatplane specifically, that I wanted to vent about after not saying anything about it for a while now. This might be a rant, maybe it's (constructive) criticism, I'll leave that up to you. 

So... This whole thing stared a LONG, long while ago (for me, at least), when LTT started releasing videos on FP and YT simultaneously. I've asked about it maybe once, maybe twice, but I don't complain much, because I only pay $3 a month, and I'm currently getting what I'm paying for, from my perspective (extra content, exclusives, etc.). What pushed me over the tipping point (and make this post) was the latest video, about giving away GPUs under MSRP. I missed out on the drop, I had class, I'll get another chance some other time. Congrats to all of you who got GPUs, I hope you won't resell them on ebay for double of what you paid. 😉 

What bothered me about this is, that (as of writing this post) there's no video on FP about it, and even if they upload it later, my point still stands. To me, this feels like we're getting "Youtube Exclusives", that we don't get on FP, or at least we get them late. That's not what I'm paying even $3 for. It was a one-time thing thus far, and I'm sure it won't happen again soon, but it's enough for me to finally put my two cents into the jar. I've seen a lot of complaints on FP about the simultaneous releases, and anyone else that pays $10 a month has more of a right to complain about it than me imo. But I draw the line at getting videos later than YT. At this point, it'd be patreon without any incentives, if this keeps on going. 

Everything about the release of this specific video seemed rushed; And it's probably due to a lot of things going on at LTT. You've missed your daily upload schedule before, and I doubt people would want to hang you for it, if you did it again (Then again, I don't exactly know how timing affects your video revenue). My suggestion would have been to at least render out a video without the VAG segment, to post to FP. This just rubs me in the wrong way, and many others got the same issues, because there've been a lot of people that complained about it (referring to the upload schedule).

Why this post then? Because I'd like some answers, about why exactly videos get released simultaneously, instead of getting them a week early like initially promised, why this specific video went online before it did on FP, and why you aren't addressing any of the complaints I've read on FP at all, because it's more than just a few kids complaining uselessly at this point. All I'd personally want is something like "It's because of this or that reason", or "We don't have a solution to this at the time", but it won't go away by brushing it off, and pretending there's no problem. I remember how pissed people got, when only LTT uploads came early on FP, and the other channels released at the same time. I remember the Vessel days, when it was all neat and tidy, we got our vids early, etc. Times change, obviously, more and more is happening at LMG, things get busy, and I feel like you guys may be getting out of touch with the Floatplane peeps a little, because there's been a post explaining a certain clickbait-y title, but no formal acknowledgement of the things I mentioned, in a written post, a video, or whatever other format you can imagine, and that's certainly a bigger issue than a video title, I would think. I don't think I've even heard about those issues on Wan show, or anywhere else. 

That's it, rant over, feel free to tack on your own complaints you have about FP, or disagreements you have with my opinion. But please don't spam me with plain insults, or things like that, that won't help anyone. (I haven't been able to find any floatplane-specific topic here, or anything else stating that I can't talk about it here, which is why I'm posting it in general discussion. If did somethign wrong there, pleas let me know.)

Edit: ooookay, seems like my whole point about getting videos late on FP is invalid now, since the video just showed up, saying it was posted two hours ago, when it didn't show up until ten minutes ago, at least for me, and I refreshed the page at least three times. Interesting. Well, I'll still leave this up, since it's already out there, no pointin taking it all down now. I'd still like some answers.

What remains, for me at least, is some sort of explaination for the release schedule, on YT/FP. I haven't found an official answer to this, all I've seen is people complaining. If you found said needle in the haystack, please let me know. 

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

The video was posted to FP at the same time as YT, but then removed once everything was sold out so it can be reuploaded without the section about how to apply, like they do on every drop.

On YT you can use the creator studio to cut out part of a video, but on FP they have to delete and reupload.

So yeah, it's all moot. The different upload schedule is intended when there are VAG drops so that people in different regions have a chance.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The video was posted to FP at the same time as YT, but then removed once everything was sold out so it can be reuploaded without the section about how to apply, like they do on every drop.

On YT you can use the creator studio to cut out part of a video, but on FP they have to delete and reupload.

So yeah, it's all moot. The different upload schedule is intended when there are VAG drops so that people in different regions have a chance.

Fair enough. I don't know why it didn't show up for me an hour after it was supposedly posted, probably some sort of technical issue. (shrugs)

Still, I haven't seen any sort of acknowledgement about the same-time releases for many ltt videos. I haven't been able to find anything on the forum either. Has there been any sort of explaination that you'd know of?

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

Simply because after an hour it was long done and had been removed already. They usually sell out within 15-30min, and then remove the segment about it. 

I did get the notification email when it was posted at the same time as YT, it was there.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 hours ago, fredih said:

till, I haven't seen any sort of acknowledgement about the same-time releases for many ltt videos. I haven't been able to find anything on the forum either. Has there been any sort of explaination that you'd know of?

Before VAG drops, there were already known reasons for simultaneous releases. Linus has explained them in some WAN Show, I don't remember which. The reasons are NDA lift, sponsors request, time-critical reasons (product launches, event coverage, news/TL). With VAG system, as they can't have FP members to gain any advantage, those videos with drop have also been simultaneous. The latest seems to have had hiccup with re-upload. Its back on, but was taken down maybe 15mins after uploading. I was able to watch it on FP during drop, so I can say it was there.

If getting videos in advance is your main reason for subscribing to FP, then I can understand why you are critical. But when you think of it, its still very few videos per month that are simultaneous. And you still get extra video couple times a month. So overall, this one hiccup seems rather minor thing to complain about.

I will move this thread to General Discussion, which is proper place for criticism towards LMG. I would recommend you contact FP support if you have any actual technical issues with the site.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv