(3) 8K @ 60Hz displays possible on laptop eGPU enclosure and thunderbolt 3/4?

LukeAtWork

I want to know if it is possible to drive (3) 8K monitors @ 60Hz with an external thunderbolt GPU enclosure and a GTX 3xxx series?  It seems the graphics card can do it but what is unclear is does the thunderbolt PCIe v3 4x link have enough bandwidth?  It is surprisingly hard to find data on how much data bandwidth is used between the CPU and GPU to drive high resolution displays.  This will be used on a work laptop and I will not be playing games.  I travel a ton and do not want to constantly switch between a desktop and laptop.

Cheers

7 hours ago, DobertRownySr said:

No, unless you get a custom card with 3 HDMI ports.

Oh yeah, oops, I need a Quadro card.  I will be using all display port.  We have a mix of machines with Quadro and GTX cards.  My last desktop had a Quadro with (4) DP ports so forgot the GTX cards don't have (4) DP connectors like the Quadro cards do.  So I will have to put a Quadro card in the enclosure.

I am still really unclear on the bandwidth between the CPU and GPU needed to drive high resolution displays.

7 hours ago, hwhendhah said:

Did you spend 12k on monitors?

Haven't yet, I rather have some idea on if this is going to work before buying and then having to return them.

On 5/8/2021 at 12:16 AM, LukeAtWork said:

Haven't yet, I rather have some idea on if this is going to work before buying and then having to return them.

then PLEASE dont get 8k

39 minutes ago, hwhendhah said:

then PLEASE dont get 8k

Depends on the application it's used for.

The question is if it's for professional use.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566