LTT subtitles request, please?

MrGoodey
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
1 hour ago, MrGoodey said:

Hi there, thank you replying. The last Wan Show that was uploaded was left aligned, the most recent techlinked videos all were too. 

How tech savvy do I need to be? I only came across Linus/ LTT about a month ago as I wanted to build a PC then realised LTT had some fantastic older videos literally "teaching" you. 

This was something I was thinking of asking too. The videos you mention, WAN Show being live recorded, and Techlinked being on very short production scale, only have auto-generated subtitles. For WAN Shows, it would require specific person to watch, transcribe and publish subtitles. And they would take couple of days to do. Maybe bit more unless Linus is willing to pay them to work on weekends. For Techlinked, it is possible, for most parts, to include actual subtitles since most of the talking points come directly off the script. However, here the short time between shoot, editing and release would mean instead of one editor, they need to have two doing it.

Its not unreasonable, just noting.

I'll keep this as short as I can but also explain why I'm making such a silly request. I have otosclerosis (just had my second operation because there was complications in my first operation) unfortunately I'm having to change how I live me life now I'm all but deaf, could you maybe change how you post your subtitles please? From being left aligned to center aligned? On most of LTT videos, Tech Quickie, TechLinked they are center aligned. (I also must say the handful I've rewatched in hospital this last week have been implemented in such a professionally perfect way it's brilliant) anyway I know it sounds silly about the subtitles being aligned but I didn't realise just how much it would effect me watching/ reading said videos especially when the presenter is front and center,  or there's 2 presenters either side. Sorry if this request is too much time/money...I fact I'd be happy to donate to maybe keep it a thing. Thank you in advance.

Jamie

Can you give me a few examples of videos where they're left aligned? Perhaps I can make a solution for you to force them to center align. (with the help of a css style and a browser extention called Stylus)

11 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Can you give me a few examples of videos where they're left aligned? Perhaps I can make a solution for you to force them to center align. (with the help of a css style and a browser extention called Stylus)

Hi there, thank you replying. The last Wan Show that was uploaded was left aligned, the most recent techlinked videos all were too. 

How tech savvy do I need to be? I only came across Linus/ LTT about a month ago as I wanted to build a PC then realised LTT had some fantastic older videos literally "teaching" you. 

35 minutes ago, MrGoodey said:

1. I'll keep this as short as I can but also explain why I'm making such a silly request.

2. I have otosclerosis

3. Just had my second operation because there was complications in my first operation unfortunately I'm having to change how I live me life now

4. I know it sounds silly about the subtitles being aligned but I didn't realise just how much it would effect me watching/reading said videos

5. Sorry if this request is too much time/money...I fact I'd be happy to donate to maybe keep it a thing. Thank you in advance.

Jamie

1. not silly at all 🙂

2. I hope to say this without sounding disrespectful or insensitive in anyway to what your dealing with, but anytime I heard of a disease involving growing extra bone where it doesn't need to be I keep thinking the wolverine with the claws growing out of the hand. I imaging it'd be hard to make a weapon or fighting style from bones sticking out the ear, but I mean you could head butt them with the side of your ear I guess XD

3. Ok ignoring the silliness and hopefully not disrespectfulness of 2, I truly am sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I'm not familiar with this disease and it's complications and changes to your life, but my wife went to school for sociology and there was a resource she learned about called Aunt Bertha, just helps people find help for anything they need, from mental health to physical health to childcare and more. 

https://www.findhelp.org/  Just in case there's something that can help you out that you've been avoiding for cost, you might be able to find some help.

4. Getting help is never silly. You've got a legit need, and if it can be helped with a simple subtitle change, it absolutely should and there's nothing silly about that. LTT I feel is the type of channel that cares more than enough to make a small change for such an important accommodation.

5. You are far too polite for your own good XD Even providing a spaced down signature lol. Most businesses would love someone like you for your professionalism!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

1. not silly at all 🙂

2. I hope to say this without sounding disrespectful or insensitive in anyway to what your dealing with, but anytime I heard of a disease involving growing extra bone where it doesn't need to be I keep thinking the wolverine with the claws growing out of the hand. I imaging it'd be hard to make a weapon or fighting style from bones sticking out the ear, but I mean you could head butt them with the side of your ear I guess XD

3. Ok ignoring the silliness and hopefully not disrespectfulness of 2, I truly am sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I'm not familiar with this disease and it's complications and changes to your life, but my wife went to school for sociology and there was a resource she learned about called Aunt Bertha, just helps people find help for anything they need, from mental health to physical health to childcare and more. 

https://www.findhelp.org/  Just in case there's something that can help you out that you've been avoiding for cost, you might be able to find some help.

4. Getting help is never silly. You've got a legit need, and if it can be helped with a simple subtitle change, it absolutely should and there's nothing silly about that. LTT I feel is the type of channel that cares more than enough to make a small change for such an important accommodation.

5. You are far too polite for your own good XD Even providing a spaced down signature lol. Most businesses would love someone like you for your professionalism!

Oh you weren't disrespectful it's been a interesting journey of wonder, learning new things, unfortunately I had a unlucky streak. 

Thank you for being helpful too, I should have stated I'm in the UK though, but I have been put in contact with the numerous charities, support networks in my area as I've just returned home. 

I don't usually register for forums etc, but I've been binge watching so much of YouTube in hospital and i throughly enjoyed LTT videos (and the sister channels) .

43 minutes ago, MrGoodey said:

Hey, so it seems only rollup subtitles (auto generated) for some reason appear left aligned. So all you need to do is install Stylus and create a new style. Using in the import option, import this code, give the style a name and save.

@-moz-document url-prefix("https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=") {
.caption-window.ytp-caption-window-bottom.ytp-caption-window-rollup
{
    text-align: center !important;
    left: unset !important;
    width: 100vw !important;
}
}

Let me know if you need help on doing this.

29 minutes ago, MrGoodey said:

Oh you weren't disrespectful it's been a interesting journey of wonder, learning new things, unfortunately I had a unlucky streak. 

Thank you for being helpful too, I should have stated I'm in the UK though, but I have been put in contact with the numerous charities, support networks in my area as I've just returned home. 

I don't usually register for forums etc, but I've been binge watching so much of YouTube in hospital and i throughly enjoyed LTT videos (and the sister channels) .

My wife is 95% deaf now due to genetic disorders. So I understand the issues with closed captioning. I've noticed the same issue with LTT system as well. It's not as prevalent on my phone so I didn't seem to notice till you said something. Hopefully a work around can be found. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

1 hour ago, MrGoodey said:

This was something I was thinking of asking too. The videos you mention, WAN Show being live recorded, and Techlinked being on very short production scale, only have auto-generated subtitles. For WAN Shows, it would require specific person to watch, transcribe and publish subtitles. And they would take couple of days to do. Maybe bit more unless Linus is willing to pay them to work on weekends. For Techlinked, it is possible, for most parts, to include actual subtitles since most of the talking points come directly off the script. However, here the short time between shoot, editing and release would mean instead of one editor, they need to have two doing it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Hi there, I completely understand.  Thank you for explaining....again its all new to me so didn't fully understand if/ how/ what and where. Again it's nice to know there are good subtitles for the videos, I've just found I ended up pausing/ rewinding bits as I missed things (because I was reading the titles). Thank you again