Getting macOS in a virtual machine via Linux

So I managed to set up macOS in a virtual machine using this guide..

https://github.com/foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM

For my host OS I had Pop OS installed.  Works great!

Now for the final big boss.  Can I reroute my iGPU to the virtual machine?  I know if you have a dGPU you can do this easily, as can be seen in this LTT video...

Thanks in advance👍

I need the power of Anthony to help me!

EDIT: yes, it was a joke.  But would still be appreciated😁

Edited by MichaelMouton

full specs?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

It's an Intel NUC, the BXNUC10i7FNH.  I installed a WD SN850 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, and 16gb (dual channel) Corsair DDR4-2666 RAM.

34 minutes ago, MichaelMouton said:

Can I reroute my iGPU to the virtual machine?

You could passthrough the iGPU, but then your host-machine wouldn't have any GPU.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

You could passthrough the iGPU, but then your host-machine wouldn't have any GPU.

That's perfect!

The hope here is to be able to boot up into Pop OS, but then I want to be able to select macOS at bootup.  Not sure where to even start if I want to do this, but I'm willing to put the work into it.

Main reason for this is simply because Linux has better hardware support.  Getting Intel WiFi to work on macOS has always been an issue, so I want to pass it through.  Other stuff like the SD card reader as well.

2 minutes ago, MichaelMouton said:

The hope here is to be able to boot up into Pop OS, but then I want to be able to select macOS at bootup.  Not sure where to even start if I want to do this, but I'm willing to put the work into it.

In order to be able to passthrough the iGPU, it'd have to be reserved so the host-machine won't use it and that means you can't see anything the host-machine does. You'd have to setup everything so that your Linux-distro automatically boots up the VM, and if you needed to do anything on the host-machine, you'd need to do it e.g. via SSH over the network from another PC.

It's possible, but it's far from perfect.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 minutes ago, MichaelMouton said:

I just checked and it seems your NUC has a Thunderbolt - port; you should perhaps invest in an eGPU-enclosure and a discrete GPU. That way you could also actually play some games on your NUC as well.

35 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I just checked and it seems your NUC has a Thunderbolt - port; you should perhaps invest in an eGPU-enclosure and a discrete GPU. That way you could also actually play some games on your NUC as well.

No doubt something I'd save up for!  But for now I'd just like to try it without the iGPU.  You know of any guides or tutorials that could help me set it up?

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, MichaelMouton said:

You know of any guides or tutorials that could help me set it up?

No, sorry. I have exactly zero interest in Apple's stuff, so I have never had any reason to look into running their OS in a VM. Besides that, you should probably first look into how to use libvirt KVM in the first place to make and run virtual-machines -- you'll want to install virt-manager and virt-viewer and then fiddle around with the virt-manager. If you're comfortable around CLI, you can manage your VMs with virsh as well, so that might also be useful to get some practice in with.

36 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Besides that, you should probably first look into how to use libvirt KVM in the first place to make and run virtual-machines -- you'll want to install virt-manager and virt-viewer and then fiddle around with the virt-manager. If you're comfortable around CLI, you can manage your VMs with virsh as well, so that might also be useful to get some practice in with.

I noticed that.  In the simple KVM guide they actually don't tell you to install virt-manager, so had to do that.

Thanks for the rest, though.  I'll look into that.

In the meantime, if anyone else on the forums knows anything about the iGPU rerouting...

1 hour ago, MichaelMouton said:

In the meantime, if anyone else on the forums knows anything about the iGPU rerouting...

There are all the instructions needed in the following link to pass through a GPU, but you'll need to adapt them to your distro: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF