Separate soundcard needed?

VelikiPCguy

Hey all, I'm building a gaming PC and I'm not sure if I need a separate soundcard, or if the inbuilt one in my motherboard (X570 Aorus Master) is enough.

I'm not a sound producer or anything, I'll mostly just be using it for gaming, listening to music, etc. I do have good speakers though, with separate bass and all, so would be nice to know if I need a good soundcard to go alongside that.

1 minute ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

Hey all, I'm building a gaming PC and I'm not sure if I need a separate soundcard, or if the inbuilt one in my motherboard (X570 Aorus Master) is enough.

I'm not a sound producer or anything, I'll mostly just be using it for gaming, listening to music, etc. I do have good speakers though, with separate bass and all, so would be nice to know if I need a good soundcard to go alongside that.

No need. Sound cards stopped being common about a decade ago and are just used for fringe applications nowadays. The sound built into your motherboard will be more than enough for what you need. 

As someone who had the audio output on their motherboard break. If the audio turns out to be lacking or breaks in the future, I would recommend this

20 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

As someone who had the audio output on their motherboard break. If the audio turns out to be lacking or breaks in the future, I would recommend this

i've used one like this in the past, gets the job done and thats all that matters.

To answer OP's question, you shouldn't need any sort of sound card, but depending on how much power the speakers need you could get an amp. 

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

38 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

Do you know what caused it to break? Was it an older motherboard or do these things just happen?

9 hours ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

Do you know what caused it to break? Was it an older motherboard or do these things just happen?

Do you think motherboard manufacturers prioritize on implementing a shitty realtek DAC chip in a good way?

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

20 hours ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

Random bad luck or user abuse, in all likelihood. It's not particularly common. The most common failure I've seen in this regard are damaged / tarnished connectors.

23 hours ago, NewwGuyy123 said:

I was moving the PC while cleaning my desk and while I had a speaker plugged in. When I moved the PC my hand slipped and I hit the speaker plug pretty hard. Nothing came unplugged and/or snapped, but I could never get anything out of that port again except static. The mic port still works, not sure about any of the others.