Looking for an Amp that's available in my country - info inside.

Energycore

Hey everyone!

As some of you might now, I live in Mexico and it's really hard to get good audiophile stuff here. That said, I won't give up anytime soon! I'm finally ready to start looking for an amplifier for my headphones.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 6xx from Drop, and I recently bought this audio interface to power these monitors. (By the way, I could cancel the order on the interface and replace it with something as long as it's not over $75 US before import markup. More on this later).

Since both those items are already on the way, I figure I can take this chance to use the interface as a DAC and buy just an amp, instead of the DAC/Amp combo that I was contemplating last year.

What I need is recommendations from either Drop or Amazon US with the following caveats:

- If I buy from Drop, I have to ask a friend in the US to help me receive items, then I have to pay around $50 for shipping.

- If I buy from Amazon US, items tend to have a markup between 15 and 40% because of import taxes.

So with that said, I'm looking for an amp that's at most $150 BEFORE shipping or markup, preferably less. And do let me know if I'd be running into issues using this interface. It is a relatively low-end one after all, but I only need it for a place to connect my monitors to, and for the headphone amp.

I'm noticing that this interface doesn't have a balanced output signal for the monitors, although I'm just buying them for music consumption so I might not care about the electrical interference. If it -would- make a big subjective difference, let me know and I'll look for alternatives. I don't want to break bank on the interface.

Thanks as always for the help!

~Energycore

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

(By the way, I could cancel the order on the interface and replace it with something as long as it's not over $75 US before import markup

I was going to recommend a Scarlett but its too expensive for you.

12 minutes ago, Energycore said:

place to connect my monitors to, and for the headphone amp.

oh boy HD 600 are some what hard to drive.

maybe fiio k5 pro?

14 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I'm looking for an amp that's at most $150 BEFORE shipping or markup

The K5 pro is EXACTLY 150 USD

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-K5-AK4493EQ-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B07WT7TYWY

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

16 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hey everyone!

As some of you might now, I live in Mexico and it's really hard to get good audiophile stuff here. That said, I won't give up anytime soon! I'm finally ready to start looking for an amplifier for my headphones.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 6xx from Drop, and I recently bought this audio interface to power these monitors. (By the way, I could cancel the order on the interface and replace it with something as long as it's not over $75 US before import markup. More on this later).

Since both those items are already on the way, I figure I can take this chance to use the interface as a DAC and buy just an amp, instead of the DAC/Amp combo that I was contemplating last year.

What I need is recommendations from either Drop or Amazon US with the following caveats:

- If I buy from Drop, I have to ask a friend in the US to help me receive items, then I have to pay around $50 for shipping.

- If I buy from Amazon US, items tend to have a markup between 15 and 40% because of import taxes.

So with that said, I'm looking for an amp that's at most $150 BEFORE shipping or markup, preferably less. And do let me know if I'd be running into issues using this interface. It is a relatively low-end one after all, but I only need it for a place to connect my monitors to, and for the headphone amp.

I'm noticing that this interface doesn't have a balanced output signal for the monitors, although I'm just buying them for music consumption so I might not care about the electrical interference. If it -would- make a big subjective difference, let me know and I'll look for alternatives. I don't want to break bank on the interface.

Thanks as always for the help!

~Energycore

What is the availability of Schiit amplifiers in Mexico? 

Another option (that could be pretty cheap), if you're handy with soldering is to buy a kit like the O2. If the kit isn't available, then you could purchase the PCBs and just get the parts through Digi-Key / Mouser / whoever.

3 minutes ago, H713 said:

What is the availability of Schiit amplifiers in Mexico? 

Pretty much none. I'd love to get a Magni but other than the occassional used one in craigslist style websites it is unavailable through traditional methods. I -could- ship one to a friend's in the US but then I have to cover the $50 shipping cost, same as with Drop.

3 minutes ago, H713 said:

Another option (that could be pretty cheap), if you're handy with soldering is to buy a kit like the O2. If the kit isn't available, then you could purchase the PCBs and just get the parts through Digi-Key / Mouser / whoever.

Unfortunately, I've never used a soldering iron in my life. I'd love for this to be an option.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

. I -could- ship one to a friend's in the US but then I have to cover the $50 shipping cost

I could do this but it would be werid to my mom lol.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

I could do this but it would be werid to my mom lol.

Oh don't worry. I already have a friend who sent me the Senns. Just gotta ask him again.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Pretty much none. I'd love to get a Magni but other than the occassional used one in craigslist style websites it is unavailable through traditional methods. I -could- ship one to a friend's in the US but then I have to cover the $50 shipping cost, same as with Drop.

oh, well that's...  Schiitty

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

Just now, Energycore said:

I already have a friend who sent me the Senns

wait sennhiser doesn't ship to mexico?

Just gotta ask him again.

k

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, sub68 said:

wait sennhiser doesn't ship to mexico?

Drop doesn't. And neither does Schiit.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I've never used a soldering iron in my life. I'd love for this to be an option.

One thing you may consider would be eBay- some sellers will ship internationally, and it might not be super expensive. I can't speak for what it's like in Mexico, but at least in the US I regularly buy equipment from Europe without too much issue.

Drop doesn't. And neither does Schiit.

oh god, does anyone ship anything to mexico?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

Just now, Red 🙂 said:

Amazon ships Monoprice xD

And some other brands. Sometimes you get resellers that ship to Mexico, but they're way expensive. For instance the Schiit Magni Heresy I can get for $320 + shipping.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Red 🙂 said:

I find it strange how much of an issue that is, only because so much equipment is built in Mexico and imported to the US. Then again, I know very little about trade politics.

1 minute ago, H713 said:

I find it strange how much of an issue that is, only because so much equipment is built in Mexico and imported to the US. Then again, I know very little about trade politics.

RIGHT! It's super weird. I won't get into politics but changes to NAFTA agreements in the last 4 years have made it harder and more expensive to import stuff.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Thoughts on the price of this?

image.thumb.png.4a0167983dbb09283dc61a28d27239b9.png

Comes out to just under $170 after import fees.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Thoughts on the price of this?

Comes out to just under $170 after import fees.

looks pretty ok

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

It'll work, but you're paying an awful lot for mediocre performance.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ifi-zen-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.9885/

The THD isn't a big deal. 0.003% is by most standards very, very good. Yes, a lot of DACs and headphone amps will go down to 0.0001%, but it really doesn't matter.

The output power is, IMO, pathetic for a desktop unit in this price range. WTF do they have as an output driver? A TL072? Seriously, this costs almost nothing to get right.