PC Restarts Randomly with no Blue Screens or Errors

thescream93
Go to solution Solved by thescream93,
22 hours ago, DobertRownySr said:

Generally, if your computer is just shutting off, that means it's the powersupply. I've encountered this problem twice before, one on my own PC, and once on my friend's. Both times replacing the PSU fixed it.

Worst case, if it doesn't fix the problem, you can just return the new PSU.

21 hours ago, mariushm said:

Make a bootable usb stick with memtest and test your ram sticks.  test them both together and 1 at a time

if you get errors run the sticks at lower frequency (ex 3000 mhz instead of 3600) or try increasing the latency to something like 18-20 and see if that changes anything.

It's a mini ITX system so it should be fine, slots being so close together but who knows.

The power supply should be fine, the pc shouldn't go over 300 watts or so when gaming. 

There were some issues with low power states, disabling some of those lowest c states could be a fix but i have doubts the power supply is the issue.

If possible try as basic configuration as possible, in an effort to try to determine what's causing issues.  Ex... disable wifi , put just one stick, maybe try system with some shitty video card you know it's good... 

Feel pretty stupid... lol. Did a test with Memtest, no errors. Fans started sounding funny, so I turned everything off and took my PC apart. Turns out there was a random loose screw, I'm not sure what to, might've been an extra I dropped and never realized. Fortunately it didn't cause any hardware failures, so far everything's been fine. If it starts happening again I'll probably replace the PSU. Sorry for the trouble dudes, I didn't hear any fan whirring till after the test. Appreciate y'alls help!

A little while ago, my PC started restarting randomly. I recently built it in late March, all brand new parts except my GPU, 1 M.2 SSD and my 2 HDDs. About mid April, PC would start restarting out of nowhere- no Blue Screen, no error messages, it's as if I had clicked restart or hit the power button. I've checked the Event Viewer, getting errors that from my searching seemed harmless and not to be causing problems, but anything power related was just a notice of the shutting down being unexpected. Searching the forums here I've found answers I've already tried- I still have my 650W PSU so I tried replacing my 750W, replugged cables, reseated RAM and CPU, made sure there wasn't any shorts as far as I could tell- after doing those as well as completely reinstalling Windows 10 (from Home to Pro N) they stopped until just earlier as of posting. Same situation.

• BIOS, Windows 10, and respective drivers are all up to date as far as I'm aware. Turned off CPU and X-AMP Profile boosts, everything is at stock values.
  • Crashes happen at anytime, there doesn't seem to be anything specific that make it happen. I could just be watching Youtube, playing a game such as Warframe, or browsing webpages through Firefox. They aren't consistent in timing either, it could be 5 minutes after a restart before, or an hour after I opened a game.
  • The errors in Event Viewer are DistributedCOM errors, but they happen at times inbetween after boot and the reset, not consistently, and not near either boot or reset, though searching around they seem to be benign. I'm not getting any Memory Dump files being generated either, so I'm quite at odds.
  • I've also disabled Windows 10 Automatic Restarts, CPU, RAM, and GPU usage and thermals are within normal limits. I've also ran OCCT from OCBase around that time mid April before while troubleshooting, and nothing happened then.
  • I found this thread with similar hardware and problem, though I can't find anything about a C-State flag, possibly in my BIOS? I might be blind.
Current specs:
Windows 10 Pro N 64x version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 3.9GHz
ARTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler
MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi Mini ITX Motherboard
MSI BIOS 7C92v15
Crucial Ballistix 2x16 32GB DDR4-3200 CL 16 @ 3200Mhz
2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD in Raid 0 for Storage
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for Boot
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for Gaming/Applications
Asus GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Strix Gaming OC GPU
Thermaltake Tower 100 Mini ITX Case
2x ARCTIC BioniX F140 104 CFM 140mm Fans
Corsair RM 2019 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX PSU
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD 600W/1000VA UPS

1 minute ago, DobertRownySr said:

It's your powersupply. Replace it.

I tried using my older EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold PSU that worked just fine in my older system before- which 650W should be enough for everything here. I still had those problems. I can try replacing it in a few weeks, but I can't afford it right now. Are you sure its my PSU?

1 minute ago, sludgebot said:

I tried using my older EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold PSU that worked just fine in my older system before- which 650W should be enough for everything here. I still had those problems. I can try replacing it in a few weeks, but I can't afford it right now. Are you sure its my PSU?

Generally, if your computer is just shutting off, that means it's the powersupply. I've encountered this problem twice before, one on my own PC, and once on my friend's. Both times replacing the PSU fixed it.

Just now, DobertRownySr said:

Fair enough, maybe my EVGA 650W had this problem too and I never realized. Unfortunately I'll have to wait a few weeks but I'll look into this, thank you.

Make a bootable usb stick with memtest and test your ram sticks.  test them both together and 1 at a time

if you get errors run the sticks at lower frequency (ex 3000 mhz instead of 3600) or try increasing the latency to something like 18-20 and see if that changes anything.

It's a mini ITX system so it should be fine, slots being so close together but who knows.

The power supply should be fine, the pc shouldn't go over 300 watts or so when gaming. 

There were some issues with low power states, disabling some of those lowest c states could be a fix but i have doubts the power supply is the issue.

If possible try as basic configuration as possible, in an effort to try to determine what's causing issues.  Ex... disable wifi , put just one stick, maybe try system with some shitty video card you know it's good... 

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

That was one of the troubleshoots I did in mid April, doing a memory test through Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. Maybe that isn't the best tool to use, but it brought up no errors. I can try it again soon with Memtest though and see what it brings up.

I did try doing those troubleshoot methods as well, various configurations and going into Safe Mode without networking just to make sure. I can't test another GPU unfortunately since the one I replaced with my 2060 I sold when I got the new one, though I do need to get another one for the gf and her system (my old system) that'd be awhile too similar to replacing my current PSU.

For the C State, I didn't initially find it but after finally finding it in the manual and poking around in the BIOS, I set Global C State to Disabled from Auto, and so far no resets- although, could just be a placebo effect for right now. Really appreciating y'alls feedback.

22 hours ago, DobertRownySr said:

21 hours ago, mariushm said:

Feel pretty stupid... lol. Did a test with Memtest, no errors. Fans started sounding funny, so I turned everything off and took my PC apart. Turns out there was a random loose screw, I'm not sure what to, might've been an extra I dropped and never realized. Fortunately it didn't cause any hardware failures, so far everything's been fine. If it starts happening again I'll probably replace the PSU. Sorry for the trouble dudes, I didn't hear any fan whirring till after the test. Appreciate y'alls help!

9 hours ago, sludgebot said:

It's no trouble. Let us know how it goes

On 5/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, DobertRownySr said:

It's no trouble. Let us know how it goes

Yo sorry- I actually meant to reply 48 hours after, just to be sure. I mean it's almost a week now... and no resets! I still can't say for certain if it was just the screw and isn't a software problem too, but I'm not gonna complain.

• 9 months later...

Hey I know it been almost a year but I'm having this same issue I've sent in into repairs like 3 or 4 times and it comes back with same issue, are you still having this issue?