Wait for Legion 5 Pro or go with ROG Strix?

Hey all,

I am currently in the market for a new laptop, as I will be going into Industrial Engineering for post-secondary and my puny Acer Aspire 3 AMD A9 ain't gonna cut it for running AutoCAD, Inventor and SOLIDWORLKS (and maybe some games 😏).

The laptop I am looking into the most is the Legion 5 Pro (RTX 3060 spec). Anyone know when it will be available in Canada?

Another contender for me is the ASUS ROG Strix G15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Grey (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060) (https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-strix-g15-15-6-gaming-laptop-grey-amd-ryzen-7-5800h-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-rtx-3060-eng/15264490?cmp=seo-15264490).

This laptop looks pretty sweet; anyone know if there are common issues with them (i.e. anything like the ASUS TUFF's thermal problems?)

I am also considering the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Gaming Laptop - Grey (AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060/Win 10) (https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-14-gaming-laptop-grey-amd-ryzen-9-5900hs-1tb-ssd-16gb-ram-rtx-3060-win-10/15264488), as I know its a solid machine, but 14" may be a bit small for me (I haven't used one though so maybe its fine).

So my question is this: Wait for Legion 5 Pro or go with ROG Strix?

(any other suggestions are welcome as well! My budget is preferably sub or at least around CAD $2k)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JSPotter
Added budget

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

19 minutes ago, JSPotter said:

So my question is this: Wait for Legion 5 Pro or go with ROG Strix?

I'm in the same situation as you, plenty of Strix laptops to choose from where I live but Legion 5 Pro still isn't available, yet... (some 17" non Pro Legion models with Ryzen have appeared recently but they have worse panels and only up to 3060, I'm waiting for 3070).

Anyhow I've decided to wait, I'm a patient guy heh.

The panel quality on most of the Strix laptops is pure sh** (FHD, 250 nits, 65% SRGB, seriously Asus?), that alone is a deal breaker for me.
On top of that lack of a webcam in covid/post covid world, Asus? 
Also the lack of numpad on 15" models... I can't imagine doing any work without a numpad on a computer nowadays, and since you mentioned CAD software I imagine the missing numpad would annoy you as well.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

11 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

I'm in the same situation as you, plenty of Strix laptops to choose from where I live but Legion 5 Pro still isn't available, yet... (some 17" non Pro Legion models with Ryzen have appeared recently but they have worse panels and only up to 3060, I'm waiting for 3070).

Anyhow I've decided to wait, I'm a patient guy heh.

The panel quality on most of the Strix laptops is pure sh** (FHD, 250 nits, 65% SRGB, seriously Asus?), that alone is a deal breaker for me.
On top of that lack of a webcam in covid/post covid world, Asus? 
Also the lack of numpad on 15" models... I can't imagine doing any work without a numpad on a computer nowadays, and since you mentioned CAD software I imagine the missing numpad would annoy you as well.

oh shoot, I didn't realize the screen was so terrible! Thanks a ton! I may have to buy a machine soon though, since I am doing a CO-OP in the summer and may need a good machine if it ends up being virtual and I need to do CAD work from home. I guess I'll wait for the 5 Pro if I can and get the ROG Zephyrus G14 if I have to.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Asus Strix has only 1080p and only 16:9.

Depending on how much you have to wait, and how much you "need" a Computer right now, i would wait.

2560x1600 and 16:10 is just soooo good. You will for sure benefit for those Applications like CAD.