Quick question upgrade worth it - AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Processor RTX 2060 to desktop

As mentioned desktop 

Amd ryzen 5.3600 cpu

XFX Radeon rx 5700.8 gb card

vs  my laptop

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H Processor RTX 2060 6GB#

Would graphics be a massive improvement or are we talking around 25%?

Plus processor

I'm tempted

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The 4800h is the better cpu. Gpu in the desktop is 30% better. If you already have the laptop keep it for sure not worth the "upgrade"

Thank you, I was torn about this but since the "upgrade" isn't over 50% its not exactly worth it since I just got the laptop last week and could return it.  

Desktop will be faster overall and more consistent. If you want mobility, keep the laptop. If you want a more reliable/easier to upgrade machine, go for the desktop. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

40 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Desktop will be faster overall and more consistent. If you want mobility, keep the laptop. If you want a more reliable/easier to upgrade machine, go for the desktop. 

Will it be hugely better though, like I said if its 30% faster for the gpu then I stick with the laptop as the price I got it for was a great deal. 

Just now, Diddlydennis said:

Will it be hugely better though, like I said if its 30% faster for the gpu then I stick with the laptop as the price I got it for was a great deal. 

Depends on what specific laptop you have. The performance of mobile CPUs and GPUs is incredibly dependent on what wattage allowances the OEMs configure, based off what they're able to keep at safe temps. 

Quickest way to figure that is probably just to loop a benchmark for a bit (so temperatures hit the max they will under load) then run Time Spy and see how your score compares to people running a 3600 and 5700 (note the first few pages are always people running bonkers OCs so probably should skip those). 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Depends on what specific laptop you have. The performance of mobile CPUs and GPUs is incredibly dependent on what wattage allowances the OEMs configure, based off what they're able to keep at safe temps. 

Quickest way to figure that is probably just to loop a benchmark for a bit (so temperatures hit the max they will under load) then run Time Spy and see how your score compares to people running a 3600 and 5700 (note the first few pages are always people running bonkers OCs so probably should skip those). 

Thanks, but from you're estimate how much of a difference you presume it is?. I be 3d modelling, so not rendering all the time until necessary. So my laptop won't be under full load all the time?

3 minutes ago, Diddlydennis said:

Thanks, but from you're estimate how much of a difference you presume it is?. I be 3d modelling, so not rendering all the time until necessary. So my laptop won't be under full load all the time?

Oh if you're 3D Modeling I'd keep the laptop to begin with purely because it's an Nvidia GPU. I don't have personal experience with much outside gaming, but according to friends who do 3D modeling, game dev, mess about with AI and such, Nvidia supports stuff better across the board, AMD GPUs are jankier or just don't work with some stuff at all. 

As for what load its under effecting performance differences, really no way to measure that. Tests are usually done with utilities/workloads that fully stress the components because you can then compare scores at 100% vs 100%, any load below that and you're introducing too many variables to have an actual comparison. 

Main PC 

16 hours ago, Diddlydennis said:

Keep the laptop then. Nvidia rtx cards are just insanely better for that purpose.