Burstcoin server

Hi, as some of the long time viewers of LTT might now there was a video about mining crypto with harddrives; Burstcoin. Now that crypto is back this topic is getting interesting again, mostly because burstcoin does not use graphics cards, cpu or asics but just plain old hard drives. 

I would like to start mining burstcoin because it seems te be quite profitable now and is gaining a lot of popularity, the only thing is the mining hardware. Hardrives aren't that difficult to get and there are enough websites that crawl amazon products and calculate the cheapest drive ($ per TB). The thing that I'am struggling with now is finding the correct motherboard for this application and the correct balance between buying a more expensive board with more sata ports or buying higher capacity drives.

What would you recommend for a 100 TB configuration?

<-- Moved to Folding@home, Boinc, and Coin Mining -->

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

There is a really big trend of people using Chia, seems to be much more profitable than burst coin. Also chia plots will likely kill your SSD every few months and it will take way too long to plot on a hard drive, so make sure to factor that into the cost

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

if it's just for the sake of having as many drives connected to a single system as possible (they dont need to be in any sort of raid array, right?) i'd just get whatever cheapest motherboard that still has 6 or 7 pcie slots, and cram it full with cheap sata HBA cards.

81YFplsMchL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if it's just for the sake of having as many drives connected to a single system as possible (they dont need to be in any sort of raid array, right?) i'd just get whatever cheapest motherboard that still has 6 or 7 pcie slots, and cram it full with cheap sata HBA cards.

No, sata hard drive are a lot more expensive than SAS drives. Burst coin uses proof of space so the higher the capacity the better. It is better to get a "SAS backplane", "SAS controller", a cable for it and then got lot's of SAS drives which are cheaper per GB in terms of capacity. Sometyhing like this backplane will allow you to insert 12 drives https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174674505198?epid=1083375705&hash=item28ab696dee:g:jHUAAOSwrmRfibCZ
And a SAS controller typically has two ports. Some SAS cards have an external port which you could also use with a storage array like HP storageworks if you wanted to make things a little easier

18 minutes ago, Niccolo said:

Hardrives aren't that difficult to get and there are enough websites that crawl amazon products and calculate the cheapest drive ($ per TB).

Amazon is quite expensive for used server equipment which will get you the cheapest price per GB. Try ebay instead, they offer much cheaper prices and some servers or parts are "collection in person only" meaning if you live near them you could get a pretty good deal, but they are plenty of options with free delivery too

There are also port multiplier boards, which take one sata port and create 5 ports : https://www.ebay.com/itm/153443934186?hash=item23b9f89fea:g:fmkAAOSwcSFbQuVZ

The above is sata 2.0 only (270MB/s) - they're cheap because they use ancient port multiplier chips nobody wants anymore, so basically excess stock or overruns from other products - and of course if you read and write from all 5 ports at the same time, you won't get close to 270 MB/s speed but for mass storage, it can be enough.

The sata controller must also tolerate sata port multipliers, but most support them just fine.  If I remember correctly you can have up to 127 sata devices on one sata controller, but I'd probably stick to one port multiplier on each sata port from controller ... so for example, 6 original sata ports => 6x5 = 30 sata ports 

I read some stuff about the chia coin ...if I understood correctly generation of a "plot" takes a few hours and it's disk intensive, but afterwards you basically just have to keep the copy on your drive  just in case in the future your plot is picked and you get coins for it. 

So I was thinking.. get an old g34 board and fill it with 256 GB of ram, make a 160 GB ram drive and use the ram drive to generate the 106 GB+ "plot" then move it to regular storage .... but I think the program needs cpu also, so whatever you gain from using ram drive is lost by lack of cpu cycles.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

fill it with 256 GB of ram, make a 160 GB ram drive

It needs about 240GB of temp disk space and some RAM for the processing, but yeah you should just be ok with 256GB.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2