DNS & Domain Name, just wanna check I've got this right

Master Disaster
Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
Just now, Master Disaster said:

OK, that makes sense. Then would I need to define each Apache Virtual Server as a CNAME also?

If they are running on the same IP, then yes. Using CNAMEs is a good idea when running multiple services on a single IP simply because you then only need to update one, single entry, if the IP changed, in order to point them all to the new one.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Thought so but when I tried adding it I got a warning about the entry possibly causing a conflict with an existing entry. I guess this is just generic "If A or AAA exists while adding A or AAA then WARN" logic.

Seems kind of a weird thing to warn about, since there are a lot of servers out there with dual-stack IPs.

After destroying my lab webserver with a missing . I decided to bite the bullet and move it off my NAS onto a VPS.

I've got everything setup on the VPS now and its all working however I'm not 100% sure about editing the DNS Zone record for my new domain name and I have a few questions.

Right now I'm half way through the 48 hour wait for new domain propagation anyway so I cannot actually do anything until tomorrow but still...

My understanding is that all I have to do is edit the A record and point it to the IP of my VPS and that should work. Is this correct? Is there any difference between editing the record myself and using the "Redirect" wizard? Does it need to have both mydomain.xyz & www.mydomain.xyz in individual A records? Should I add both an A record for IPv4 and a AAA record for IPv6 or will one overwrite the other?

My VPS has the option to add a secondary domain which tells me to add an "ownercheck" subdomain TXT record to the zone and fill it with a code. Is this thebest way to handle adding it?

I'm using Apache with virtual servers (or at least I will be once the domain comes online, for now I have aliases setup so I can get everything running) so do I need to define each subdomain as a CNAME or can I just direct everything to my main domain and let Apache handle sub routing?

TBH since I got the VPS & Domain both from OVH I don't understand why I cannot just link them through OVHs admin panel automatically. Seems needlessly complicated.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Is there any difference between editing the record myself and using the "Redirect" wizard?

No idea, since I have no idea what service you're using or what their wizard is supposed to do.

Does it need to have both mydomain.xyz & www.mydomain.xyz in individual A records?

You'd typically just define the base domain and then www.yourdomainwhatever and such would be CNAME-records, ie. A-name mydomain.xyz would point to e.g. 1.2.3.4 and CNAME www would point to mydomain.xyz

Should I add both an A record for IPv4 and a AAA record for IPv6 or will one overwrite the other?

Not entirely sure what you mean with "overwite", but yes, if you have both an IPv4 and IPv6 address, it would be a good idea to add both. If someone had e.g. temporarily issues with IPv4-connectivity, they could still query for and access your IP via IPv6.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

No idea, since I have no idea what service you're using or what their wizard is supposed to do.

OVH.

You'd typically just define the base domain and then www.yourdomainwhatever and such would be CNAME-records, ie. A-name mydomain.xyz would point to e.g. 1.2.3.4 and CNAME www would point to mydomain.xyz

OK, that makes sense. Then would I need to define each Apache Virtual Server as a CNAME also?

No, they don't "overwrite" one another and yes, if you have both an IPv4 and IPv6 address, it would be a good idea to add both. If someone had e.g. temporarily issues with IPv4-resolution, they could still query your IP via IPv6 DNS.

Thought so but when I tried adding it I got a warning about the entry possibly causing a conflict with an existing entry. I guess this is just generic "If A or AAA exists while adding A or AAA then WARN" logic.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

If they are running on the same IP, then yes. Using CNAMEs is a good idea when running multiple services on a single IP simply because you then only need to update one, single entry, if the IP changed, in order to point them all to the new one.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Seems kind of a weird thing to warn about, since there are a lot of servers out there with dual-stack IPs.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Thanks, you've offered me more info in 15 minutes than OVHs documentation has in 24 hours. I guess they keep documentation vague since support is not free.