Power issues

xXDuckzXx

I currently have to have my computer set to power savings mode if i put it any higher my pc will shut off after a few min. im currently using a EV3A 500watt 80+ gold psu i also tried this with a 500watt 80+ bronze psu and had the same issue

i don't have a crazy computer 1HDD 3fans a 1030 gpu 1DDR 3 ramstick 8gb just an older setup both of the PSU's were new and hardly used before that

i do think it might be the motherboard tho its a AM3+ motherboard

and no my system is not overheating it runs pretty cool

are you overheating? check your temps. if the CPU is being underclocked by power savings mode it might be preventing a thermal shutdown. 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

40 minutes ago, AntiTrust said:

are you overheating? check your temps. if the CPU is being underclocked by power savings mode it might be preventing a thermal shutdown. 

No i dont have any overheating issues actuly my system runs cool and the psu runs really cool but my cpu runs at 1.4 ot 1.6 ghrz instead of its normal 3.4

Sounds like something could still be overheating.  What are you using to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures?  CPU will run at low clocks in power saver mode.  How did you decide to run your system in Power Saver mode instead of Balanced or Performance?

16 hours ago, --SID-- said:

What make and model cpu and motherboard exactly?

I don't know the motherboard minus that its a GIGABYTE mobo the cpu is a AMD FX 8320

the mobo is from my brothers old gaming pc and he lost the box the thing is so old i cant find it online

my cpu was refurbished 

The model is written on the motherboard itself and you can find it with software like Speccy, HWinfo64, CPU-Z and Userbenchmark.

10 hours ago, --SID-- said:

The model is written on the motherboard itself and you can find it with software like Speccy, HWinfo64, CPU-Z and Userbenchmark.

GA-970A-DS3P FX

2 hours ago, xXDuckzXx said:

GA-970A-DS3P FX

Crap VRM for a 8 core FX.

What cpu cooler is on top of the cpu?

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Crap VRM for a 8 core FX.

What cpu cooler is on top of the cpu?

its an older cooler master cpu cooler when i first boot the computer its about 75C when the computer was shutting off i would boot it up and go right into bios to see if the cpu was overheating and it would be around 77c I allowed my cpu to go up to 90c before shutting off

5 minutes ago, xXDuckzXx said:

its an older cooler master cpu cooler when i first boot the computer its about 75C when the computer was shutting off i would boot it up and go right into bios to see if the cpu was overheating and it would be around 77c I allowed my cpu to go up to 90c before shutting off

If your CPU is reaching 75°C just after you turn the computer on while in BIOS then there's something wrong with the cooler. Check the fans are spinning, remove the cooler clean any dust from it, remount it with fresh thermal paste. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, xXDuckzXx said:

its an older cooler master cpu cooler

What kind of cooler. A top down that blows towards the cpu or a tower that blows to the top or back of the case?

3 hours ago, xXDuckzXx said:

when i first boot the computer its about 75C

That's a problem. FX 8320 has a Tmax of 61,1C!

3 hours ago, Spotty said:

If your CPU is reaching 75°C just after you turn the computer on while in BIOS then there's something wrong with the cooler. Check the fans are spinning, remove the cooler clean any dust from it, remount it with fresh thermal paste. 

I have redone the thermal paste but the cooler does need a good spinning also all the fans are new minus the cpu cooler

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

What kind of cooler. A top down that blows towards the cpu or a tower that blows to the top or back of the case?

That's a problem. FX 8320 has a Tmax of 61,1C!

well i guess the problem was the cpu cooling after all thanks for all the help!

• 2 months later...