Turbo boost on 11400f

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,
7 minutes ago, ShieldWasTaken said:

i cant find anything online

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b560m-aorus-pro-ax_1002_e.pdf

The bottom of page 31 says that you can access the turbo power limits in the BIOS.  

I've been thinking about getting an intel 11400f but i dont completely understand unlocking power limits and turbo boost. I need to turbo boost it and increase the power limit so i can get better performance out of the more cpu demanding games. Is it safe to turbo boost it and have it stay at turbo boost speed the entire time? how will increasing the power limit help and what extra frequency and performance will i get?

8 minutes ago, ShieldWasTaken said:

Is it safe to turbo boost it and have it stay at turbo boost speed the entire time?

It should be by default, and will do it when needed, so it is pretty much automatic, unless the CPU has a fixed frequency, which the 11400f does not.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/212271/intel-core-i5-11400f-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

@ShieldWasTaken Increasing the turbo power limits allows the CPU to run indefinitely at its full rated speed which I believe is 4200 MHz for the 11400F. If you do not increase the turbo power limits, this CPU will struggle to run fully loaded at 3000 MHz. Increasing the power limits is a no brainer. For maximum performance, it is a must. 

You can either increase the power limits in the BIOS or if you do not have that option, you can use ThrottleStop to increase the power limits.

Very simple to do.

uoKZUF5.png

I read a test on a Polish website where performance increased by more than 30% in full load tests like Cinebench. They also reduced the CPU voltage and dropped power consumption almost in half. Huge overall difference. These processors have a locked multiplier but their performance can be significantly improved with a few minor tweaks.  

https://www.komputerswiat.pl/recenzje/sprzet/komponenty-pc/test-core-i5-11400f-nowy-krol-oplacalnosci-tani-i-z-ogromnym-potencjalem/vn3knpb

15 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@ShieldWasTaken Increasing the turbo power limits allows the CPU to run indefinitely at its full rated speed which I believe is 4200 MHz for the 11400F. If you do not increase the turbo power limits, this CPU will struggle to run fully loaded at 3000 MHz. Increasing the power limits is a no brainer. For maximum performance, it is a must. 

You can either increase the power limits in the BIOS or if you do not have that option, you can use ThrottleStop to increase the power limits.

Very simple to do.

uoKZUF5.png

I read a test on a Polish website where performance increased by more than 30% in full load tests like Cinebench. They also reduced the CPU voltage and dropped power consumption almost in half. Huge overall difference. These processors have a locked multiplier but their performance can be significantly improved with a few minor tweaks.  

https://www.komputerswiat.pl/recenzje/sprzet/komponenty-pc/test-core-i5-11400f-nowy-krol-oplacalnosci-tani-i-z-ogromnym-potencjalem/vn3knpb

Can i also ask will it bottleneck a 3070?

25 minutes ago, ShieldWasTaken said:

will it bottleneck

I do not own an 11400F or a 3070 so I cannot answer that question. 

All I know is that these are good CPUs for the price. Ignore any review site that runs the 11400F at default specs. They are capable of so much more after a few minor adjustments. 

29 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

I read a test on a Polish website where performance increased by more than 30% in full load tests like Cinebench.

Ahh, I thought to OP was trying to get the stock rated performance. That is a very nice performance increase, but I would guess that would depend if the motherboard supports such features to do so.

39 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

If you do not increase the turbo power limits, this CPU will struggle to run fully loaded at 3000 MHz.

Umm... My i5 7400 would do higher than that at 3.3GHz under full load on an OEM Acer or whoever makes it motherboard, strange.

System specs below

Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

3 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

would depend if the motherboard supports such features

As long as the motherboard does not lock the turbo power limits, they can be increased with software when you are in Windows.

4 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

My i5 7400 would do higher

The i5-7400 is only a 4 core 4 thread CPU. The 11400F is a 6 core 12 thread CPU. Both CPUs have a 65W TDP rating. With more cores and 3 times as many threads, the 11400F will need to run slower so it does not exceed the 65W TDP limit.

This is why the ability to increase the turbo power limits is so important. If you buy a motherboard that does not have this feature or if the BIOS locks the turbo power limits, bring it back and get a motherboard that is not limited like this.

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

11400F will need to run slower so it does not exceed the 65W TDP limit.

This is why the ability to increase the turbo power limits is so important. If you buy a motherboard that does not have this feature or if the BIOS locks the turbo power limits, bring it back and get a motherboard that is not limited like this.

I guess slapping a better cooler on it and turning up the power limit is the way to go.

System specs below

6 hours ago, unclewebb said:

As long as the motherboard does not lock the turbo power limits, they can be increased with software when you are in Windows.

The i5-7400 is only a 4 core 4 thread CPU. The 11400F is a 6 core 12 thread CPU. Both CPUs have a 65W TDP rating. With more cores and 3 times as many threads, the 11400F will need to run slower so it does not exceed the 65W TDP limit.

Can you recommend some B560M Micro ATX boards that have the power limits unlocked?

4 hours ago, Gojo Satoru said:

Can you recommend

I have not tested any 11th Gen boards. Download the manual. It will usually show if power limit control is available in the BIOS. 

14 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Very simple to do.

uoKZUF5.png

What is a good power limit to keep it running at around >4.2 Ghz? or should i use MCE?

@ShieldWasTaken It is best to set both turbo power limits to their maximum possible value which is 4095. As long as your cooling is good, there is no reason to power limit throttle these processors. 

Intel did this is for marketing reasons. A 65W TDP is a number that looks competitive with their competition. The bulk of Intel's sales go to large companies so a low power consumption number is important to that market. For maximum gaming performance, low power consumption should be avoided. High power limits allow the 11400 to run indefinitely and consistently at a minimum of 4.2 GHz on all cores. That is what you want. 

In the other thread you created you are asking about other similar mid range CPUs. A Ryzen 5600X has good performance but price wise it cannot compete. If you are shopping in Canada, the Ryzen costs almost twice as much. 

TechPowerUp did a good review and included benchmarks when the 11400F is run with unlocked power limits.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/

For many games, the 11400F FPS are within +/- 1% compared to a Ryzen 5600. For gaming, spending extra money on a CPU does not improve performance very much. Save your money. You are going to need it when trying to find a GPU at a reasonable price. Another advantage is the 11400 includes a GPU so at least your computer will be usable while you are waiting to find a GPU.

28 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@ShieldWasTaken It is best to set both turbo power limits to their maximum possible value which is 4095. As long as your cooling is good, there is no reason to power limit throttle these processors. 

Intel did this is for marketing reasons. A 65W TDP is a number that looks competitive with their competition. The bulk of Intel's sales go to large companies so a low power consumption number is important to that market. For maximum gaming performance, low power consumption should be avoided. High power limits allow the 11400 to run indefinitely and consistently at a minimum of 4.2 GHz on all cores. That is what you want. 

In the other thread you created you are asking about other similar mid range CPUs. A Ryzen 5600X has good performance but price wise it cannot compete. If you are shopping in Canada, the Ryzen costs almost twice as much. 

TechPowerUp did a good review and included benchmarks when the 11400F is run with unlocked power limits.

For many games, the 11400F FPS are within +/- 1% compared to a Ryzen 5600. For gaming, spending extra money on a CPU does not improve performance very much. Save your money. You are going to need it when trying to find a GPU at a reasonable price. Another advantage is the 11400 includes a GPU so at least your computer will be usable while you are waiting to find a GPU.

Thanks, Will a hyper 212 EVO black edition be enough to cool it at max tdp?

4 minutes ago, ShieldWasTaken said:

Will a hyper 212 EVO black edition be enough

No idea. Do a Google search for some recent cooler reviews. If it is not enough cooling, you can lower your turbo power limits. This will reduce performance a little.

One review I read reduced the CPU voltage of their 11400 by -300 mV which is unheard of. Power consumption dropped almost in half and the CPU continued to run reliably. The extra default voltage was completely unnecessary. If you get a good CPU and spend some time tuning it, I do not think you are going to have any cooling problems. Most review sites only test at default settings. They have no idea what is possible. 

Having control of the power limits gives you a lot of flexibility. You can always adjust your turbo power limits to however much heat your heatsink and fan can dissipate. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Probably the last question (sorry if this is getting annoying) Will the Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO support increased power limits? i looked in the manual and im clueless.

54 minutes ago, ShieldWasTaken said:

Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO

I do not own that board. There is no way for me to know what is possible. Try to find someone with that board or find a review of that board to try to find out.

24 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

I do not own that board. There is no way for me to know what is possible. Try to find someone with that board or find a review of that board to try to find out.

Thanks, I will start a new topic asking since i cant find anything online