Highish End Gaming Laptop

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

Take a look into the Acer Nitro 5 AN515.

Comes with RTX 3060, maybe even higher for higher prices.

That model also comes with Ryzen 5000 series, which are the best x86 based mobile CPUs, beating everything Intel has to offer.

Ryzen 3 5300u, Ryzen 5 5500u and Ryzen 7 5700u are still based on Zen2, but come with Zen3 features.

Every other Ryzen 5000 mobile version is Zen3.

But one of my absolute Favourites: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16ACH6H. (Review)

This baby comes with 16" instead of 15,6", a 16:10 format AND a higher 2560x1600 Resolution. A Little overkill, but the sharpness is very very nice, and a great sweet spot, since at this size, you can see a difference. 2560x1600 also works in favour of a smaller scaling, that is better visible than with a lower resolution. That better scaling + 16:10 is really nice, especially outside of Gaming.

The Display also comes with 500 cd/m², which is insane for a Gaming Notebook, 100% sRGB, HDR, 165 Hz and Pantone validated.

For a higher Price you can get a 8 Core instead 6 Core, and a RTX 3070.

But the 8 Core will probably not do anything for Gaming, especially not at max settings (except a few CPU-bottlenecked Games like cities skylines, anno, etc probably).

Edit: Oh, and for pure "visual fidelity": 2560 resolution on High Settings looks MUCH better, than 1920 resolution on Ultra Settings.
This is the case on my 2x 23,8" Desktop screens, one is 1080p, one is 1440p. The effect might be smaller on a 16" screen.

Evening, 

A close friend of mine in the navy is looking for a laptop to bring with him whilst on deployment. There’s no set budget (He was looking at £4K + laptops which I explained was a bad idea. 

Requirements are as follows: 

- Decent amount of storage, or ability to    easily add additional drives.

- Solid cooling (Size isn’t a concern, however noise and performance are) 

- Capable of running all triple A games at close to or max settings 

- Bluetooth built it 

He currently uses a 6700k + 1070 Pc and will sell it as there is no point keeping both. He only plays at 1080p 60hz currently and isn’t bothered by higher resolution or refresh rate. I personally think a RTX 3060 laptop with a 1080p 144hz screen is best suited for him. But I’m at a complete loss with mobile CPU’s and also unsure of build quality of different manufacturers. As he could be deployed for upwards of 3 months at a time with no way to RMA the laptop should it fail. 

thanks a lot 

That model also comes with Ryzen 5000 series, which are the best x86 based mobile CPUs, beating everything Intel has to offer.

Ryzen 3 5300u, Ryzen 5 5500u and Ryzen 7 5700u are still based on Zen2, but come with Zen3 features.

This baby comes with 16" instead of 15,6", a 16:10 format AND a higher 2560x1600 Resolution. A Little overkill, but the sharpness is very very nice, and a great sweet spot, since at this size, you can see a difference. 2560x1600 also works in favour of a smaller scaling, that is better visible than with a lower resolution. That better scaling + 16:10 is really nice, especially outside of Gaming.

The Display also comes with 500 cd/m², which is insane for a Gaming Notebook, 100% sRGB, HDR, 165 Hz and Pantone validated.

But the 8 Core will probably not do anything for Gaming, especially not at max settings (except a few CPU-bottlenecked Games like cities skylines, anno, etc probably).

Edit: Oh, and for pure "visual fidelity": 2560 resolution on High Settings looks MUCH better, than 1920 resolution on Ultra Settings.
This is the case on my 2x 23,8" Desktop screens, one is 1080p, one is 1440p. The effect might be smaller on a 16" screen.

2 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Fantastic, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for your help.