Monitor choice. Confused by Asus portfolio and ned input on FreeSync

ShinRamen

Good evening everyone,

I habe finally managed to get all parts for my build at basically MSRP and I‘m now deciding on a monitor. 

I haven‘t had a gaming PC in a long while which is why I‘m a bit lost when it comes to monitors and their features. Apart from that I‘d like some input from you based on personal experience. 

I‘d really like to stick with Asus for my monitor (throughout great experience with their products in the past and it fits my theme).

Currently I want to get the xg258q (1080p, 24.5in, 240Hz). I mostly (70%) play competitive shooters (CS:GO, RB6) and some more demanding battle royals (CoD and Apex) - I do ocasionally play a AAA title (Resident Evil Remakes, upcoming Village, HZD, Doom, Cyberpunk) as well.

A cinematic experience is always welcome, but smoothness is my priority and I doubt 27“ and 1440p are that much more immersive. What‘s your experience here?

Is there anything particularly wrong with the xg258q that I should know about? Is there anything better by Asus I should take a look at?

It just has FreeSync, no FreeSync2, no Premium and no Pro. Does that matter? From what I understand Premium Pro is for HDR which doesn‘t apply here. What about regular Premium and 2?

Lastly the main components of my build:

CPU 5800X

GPU 6900XT

Ram 32GB 3600 CL16

What is your budget? Generally, you either pick fast refresh rate or high fidelity. If you want both, it's still a compromise and you would have to pay a premium for it. 

22 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

It just has FreeSync, no FreeSync2, no Premium and no Pro. Does that matter? From what I understand Premium Pro is for HDR which doesn‘t apply here. What about regular Premium and 2?

A simple search would have answered your question: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync & https://www.techspot.com/article/1630-freesync-2-explained/

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

3 hours ago, Universes said:

What is your budget? Generally, you either pick fast refresh rate or high fidelity. If you want both, it's still a compromise and you would have to pay a premium for it. 

A simple search would have answered your question: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync & https://www.techspot.com/article/1630-freesync-2-explained/

Thank you for the reply and the links. I did actually read up on the differences, but I failed to ask the correct question in op. 

Here‘s the deal: I was considering 3 monitors: xg258q, xg27wq and xg27aq

xg258q is 1080p TN and 240Hz but about 3-4 years old by now and hard to come by brand new (in Germany). So that makes me a little worried. 

xg27wq is a VA panel and I‘m really not the biggest fan unless they‘ve come a long way by now. It does however have freesync premium pro.

Now the xg27aq looks very promising (27“, 1440p, IPS, up to 170Hz) but it just says g-sync compatible. Does this automatically mean it is freesync compatible? And of so is it just Freesync or Premium or Pro?

My budget is at roughly 600€

5 hours ago, ShinRamen said:

xg258q is 1080p TN and 240Hz but about 3-4 years old by now and hard to come by brand new (in Germany). So that makes me a little worried. 

If it's hard to come by new, you'll have to consider that. Sometimes, you make your purchase decision based on what is available. 

xg27wq is a VA panel and I‘m really not the biggest fan unless they‘ve come a long way by now. It does however have freesync premium pro.

Why are you not a fan of VA panels? Each panel type has their pros and cons, but they also vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. (A really good VA panel can be better than a bad TN or IPS panel, and vice versa)

Now the xg27aq looks very promising (27“, 1440p, IPS, up to 170Hz) but it just says g-sync compatible. Does this automatically mean it is freesync compatible? And of so is it just Freesync or Premium or Pro?

Each certification is separate from each other. Having one certification does not automatically mean it is for something else. The website looks like it only states it is G-Sync Compatible. Here are the G-Sync levels: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/

These 3 monitors are all very different from each other. Different, resolution, size, panel type, refresh rate, variable refresh rate technology, curvature, HDR certification. I can only tell you what is objectively the best. You have the computing power to run all these monitors, so that is not a problem. 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home