Bitcoin mining on PC safe or not on low temperature?

Go to solution Solved by rkv_2401,

There won't be any damage to your GPU directly unless you push it past the temperature or the power limits, or overclock it. I've run Folding@home on my laptop for 2 full years, and no degradation of any sort happened in that period until I tried to overclock the VRAM. Even after that, it eventually recovered by itself so... The thermal paste degraded within 2-3 years when I wasn't using it properly, but this time it was fine all the way till the end.

What can happen is the power adapter can fail from sustained power load(laptops aren't designed to run under heavy loads 24/7), and if there's a power surge from the power adapter that hits the components under full load, that can kill your laptop. That's how mine died, very recently. I was running two threads of XMRig on the CPU and Folding on the GPU, I'm sure the motherboard wasn't designed to be able to handle that much power draw for long periods of time in the first place. The power adapter's always been acting erratically, but this time it fried the motherboard. The truth is, that could happen anyway, regardless of whether you're mining or gaming at that instant, it's just that the probability of failure can increase with all the time you're plugged in and pushing it hard. It's all about risk : reward. There is an element of risk involved, however minor, and if you can't afford to get a replacement, you shouldn't do it.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It will most likely be fine, yes.

What might happen is that your laptop starts running hotter because it has gotten clogged up with dust (the more you run your fans, the more dust gets sucked in) and because the thermal paste has dried up and developed cracks (happens when the GPU goes from hot to cold, or cold to hot, not when it's at the same temperature).

Other than that, it won't degrade.

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

So, this?

What is tinkered lifespan??

What math?????

???

Less strain doesn't cause less heat, what are you on about?

Please elaborate in better terms

Edit: here, educate yourself

so if mining is safe so why many miners sell their GPU after some time and also mention it as "not used for mining" can you explain this because I don't want to damage my laptop's GPU due to mining just to earn a little cash I want to use my laptop for the longer period, so in the end can you tell me if I mine with my laptop's GPU RTX 2060 will the degrade or damage overtime or not?

13 minutes ago, Anicool007 said:

so if mining is safe so why many miners sell their GPU after some time and also mention it as "not used for mining" can you explain this because I don't want to damage my laptop's GPU due to mining just to earn a little cash I want to use my laptop for the longer period, so in the end can you tell me if I mine with my laptop's GPU RTX 2060 will the degrade or damage overtime or not?

Because in general GPUs are seen as intended for gaming, making them think mining == bad. It's just another load on the GPU. Just as with gaming, there will be miners that take extremely good care of their cards on one end of the spectrum and people that simply abuse them on the other end. If I fail to invest in proper airflow or adequate cooling (when having a custom loop or something), overclock the crap out of the card and roast it while gaming that could be worse than a miner who kept everything as cool and efficient as possible and vice versa.

At the end of the day "not used for mining" or "only used for light gaming" means very little. Neither is inherently good or bad for the card, and what do they consider "light gaming". Finally you don't know what they have done to it. They could've used it as a literal pickaxe to mine gold and still claim "not used for mining".

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, Anicool007 said:

so if mining is safe so why many miners sell their GPU after some time

Because they no longer want to use it anymore or it's no longer profitable

Mining itself isn't safe, but if it's done correctly it can be pretty safe

The only wear would be the fans

so why many miners sell their GPU after some time and also mention it as "not used for mining"

Because of the nonsense getting spread

I don't want to damage my laptop's GPU due to mining just to earn a little cash I want to use my laptop for the longer period, so in the end can you tell me if I mine with my laptop's GPU RTX 2060 will the degrade or damage overtime or not?

If you set it up right, the risk is minimal

But I can't guarantee anything as I'm not sure how well your laptop is designed or how well will you look after your laptop

Constant heat does degrade plastic faster, so that might be a factor

If your can't afford to replace it, don't do it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

There won't be any damage to your GPU directly unless you push it past the temperature or the power limits, or overclock it. I've run Folding@home on my laptop for 2 full years, and no degradation of any sort happened in that period until I tried to overclock the VRAM. Even after that, it eventually recovered by itself so... The thermal paste degraded within 2-3 years when I wasn't using it properly, but this time it was fine all the way till the end.

What can happen is the power adapter can fail from sustained power load(laptops aren't designed to run under heavy loads 24/7), and if there's a power surge from the power adapter that hits the components under full load, that can kill your laptop. That's how mine died, very recently. I was running two threads of XMRig on the CPU and Folding on the GPU, I'm sure the motherboard wasn't designed to be able to handle that much power draw for long periods of time in the first place. The power adapter's always been acting erratically, but this time it fried the motherboard. The truth is, that could happen anyway, regardless of whether you're mining or gaming at that instant, it's just that the probability of failure can increase with all the time you're plugged in and pushing it hard. It's all about risk : reward. There is an element of risk involved, however minor, and if you can't afford to get a replacement, you shouldn't do it.

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD