Bitcoin mining on PC safe or not on low temperature?

Go to solution Solved by rkv_2401,

There won't be any damage to your GPU directly unless you push it past the temperature or the power limits, or overclock it. I've run Folding@home on my laptop for 2 full years, and no degradation of any sort happened in that period until I tried to overclock the VRAM. Even after that, it eventually recovered by itself so... The thermal paste degraded within 2-3 years when I wasn't using it properly, but this time it was fine all the way till the end.

What can happen is the power adapter can fail from sustained power load(laptops aren't designed to run under heavy loads 24/7), and if there's a power surge from the power adapter that hits the components under full load, that can kill your laptop. That's how mine died, very recently. I was running two threads of XMRig on the CPU and Folding on the GPU, I'm sure the motherboard wasn't designed to be able to handle that much power draw for long periods of time in the first place. The power adapter's always been acting erratically, but this time it fried the motherboard. The truth is, that could happen anyway, regardless of whether you're mining or gaming at that instant, it's just that the probability of failure can increase with all the time you're plugged in and pushing it hard. It's all about risk : reward. There is an element of risk involved, however minor, and if you can't afford to get a replacement, you shouldn't do it.

I have an RTX 2060 laptop and while testing mining on it its temps goes up to around 65-70c my only query is that doing mining only for 2-3 months will it going to damage/hurt my graphic card because I only do mining 10-12 hours a day and my GPU temperatures only go to max 70c so is it save doing mining on my laptop only for 2-3 months can someone help me regarding this... The reason is that I don't want to damage or hurt my laptop so please help me. My laptop specification is i7-10750H and RTX 2060. Thanks in advance...

1 minute ago, Anicool007 said:

I have an RTX 2060 laptop and while testing mining on it its temps goes up to around 65-70c my only query is that doing mining only for 2-3 months will it going to damage/hurt my graphic card because I only do mining 10-12 hours a day and my GPU temperatures only go to max 70c so is it save doing mining on my laptop only for 2-3 months can someone help me regarding this... The reason is that I don't want to damage or hurt my laptop so please help me. My laptop specification is i7-10750H and RTX 2060. Thanks in advance...

It's slowly degrading the silicone. You may not realize it but one day you'll see the same performance exceeding 85C without a notice.
That's what happens to any mining hardware

3 minutes ago, Anicool007 said:

Regardless of temperatures, mining in general will really screw with your GPU, especially in a laptop. Even if you're only going to be mining for 10-12 hours per day, your laptop is also most definitely going to be overheating. I wouldn't do it.

If you decide to ignore everything I said above, don't mine bitcoin, mine ethereum, litecoin, or some other alt coin. You just can't mine BTC on a GPU these days.

i like trains 🙂

So if I only mine for 12 hours a day and for only 2-3 months, it still going to damage my GPU?

3 minutes ago, Anicool007 said:

So if I only mine for 12 hours a day and for only 2-3 months, it still going to damage my GPU?

a 1000% yes

Is gaming and mining does different kind of damage to the GPU? Which one is worst? And which one shorten the lifespan the GPU faster? 

2 minutes ago, Anicool007 said:

Is gaming and mining does different kind of damage to the GPU? Which one is worst? And which one shorten the lifespan the GPU faster? 

Gaming doesn't 'damage' the GPU like how Mining does. Damage on hardware from Gaming is quite rare.

I have an RTX 2060 laptop and while testing mining on it its temps goes up to around 65-70c my only query is that doing mining only for 2-3 months will it going to damage/hurt my graphic card because I only do mining 10-12 hours a day and my GPU temperatures only go to max 70c so is it save doing mining on my laptop only for 2-3 months can someone help me regarding this... The reason is that I don't want to damage or hurt my laptop so please help me. My laptop specification is i7-10750H and RTX 2060. Thanks in advance...

So in the end mining on your personal GPU is not an a good option and weather I mine for 2 or 3 months it will definitely damage my GPU if I mine with it even on low/maintained temperatures???

Shouldn't damamge the GPU but I would try to undervolt the GPU to get it cooler and faster.

On my laptop undervolting is not possible... I just want to know is it safe to mine with your personal GPU? will it damage my GPU if i mine with it only for 2-3 months if temps are around 60-70c? 

7 minutes ago, Anicool007 said:

On my laptop undervolting is not possible

GPU undervolting is possible.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

As long as your temps are in check mining shouldn't "hurt" your GPU any more than gaming would.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, S.Hamed23 said:

It's slowly degrading the silicone. You may not realize it but one day you'll see the same performance exceeding 85C without a notice.

1 hour ago, FrostyTheDumDum said:

Gaming doesn't 'damage' the GPU like how Mining does. Damage on hardware from Gaming is quite rare.

Stop spreading this type of misinformation.

Neither mining nor gaming "damages" the GPU.

What might happen is that the thermal compound develops cracks from heating/cooling cycles. Reapplying thermal compound will restore a GPU to new, regardless of how much or little it has been used for gaming/mining.

Since the cracks develop from heating up and then cooling down, it is far more likely to happen to gaming GPUs than mining GPUs that run 24/7. If you start and stop a game 3 times a day, that's 3 "thermal cycles" that will cause some cracks. A single mining session that lasted 7 days will only be 1 "thermal cycle".

GPUs aren't like cars where they lose performance over time because of wear and tear. 

So weather I do mining or gaming on my GPU, it will not get any damage/degradation as long as the temps are in safe zone(60-70c)?

1 hour ago, S.Hamed23 said:

Any source for your claims?? Or just fear mongering?

1 hour ago, FrostyTheDumDum said:

Care to explain the difference?

1 minute ago, Anicool007 said:

So weather I do mining or gaming on my GPU, it will not get any damage/degradation as long as the temps are in safe zone(60-70c)?

Set to a lower power limit (as you should for mining) and you should be fine to run it sustained since your laptop is built to run it at 100% power limit, so if you set a lower power limit it'll be even less strain on your hardware, temp wise

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

17 minutes ago, Anicool007 said:

It will most likely be fine, yes.

What might happen is that your laptop starts running hotter because it has gotten clogged up with dust (the more you run your fans, the more dust gets sucked in) and because the thermal paste has dried up and developed cracks (happens when the GPU goes from hot to cold, or cold to hot, not when it's at the same temperature).

Other than that, it won't degrade.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Stop spreading this type of misinformation.

Neither mining nor gaming "damages" the GPU.

What might happen is that the thermal compound develops cracks from heating/cooling cycles. Reapplying thermal compound will restore a GPU to new, regardless of how much or little it has been used for gaming/mining.

Since the cracks develop from heating up and then cooling down, it is far more likely to happen to gaming GPUs than mining GPUs that run 24/7. If you start and stop a game 3 times a day, that's 3 "thermal cycles" that will cause some cracks. A single mining session that lasted 7 days will only be 1 "thermal cycle".

GPUs aren't like cars where they lose performance over time because of wear and tear. 

my apologies

3 hours ago, S.Hamed23 said:

and then they get put on ebay with statements like " only used for light gaming and never used for bit mining" ;o)

8 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

and then they get put on ebay with statements like " only used for light gaming and never used for bit mining" ;o)

That's how the 2nd hand market will be in upcoming times

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Any source for your claims?? Or just fear mongering?

Care to explain the difference?

Set to a lower power limit (as you should for mining) and you should be fine to run it sustained since your laptop is built to run it at 100% power limit, so if you set a lower power limit it'll be even less strain on your hardware, temp wise

Check youtube for mined gpus. You'll find enough evidence.
And dropping power limit=less strain=less heat=less tinkered lifespan
Why do you need proof? Can't do the math?

16 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

Check youtube for mined gpus. You'll find enough evidence.

So, this?

And dropping power limit=less strain=less heat=less tinkered lifespan
Why do you need proof? Can't do the math?

What is tinkered lifespan??

What math?????

power limit=less strain=less heat

???

Less strain doesn't cause less heat, what are you on about?

Please elaborate in better terms

Edit: here, educate yourself

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

So, this?

What is tinkered lifespan??

What math?????

???

Less strain doesn't cause less heat, what are you on about?

Please elaborate in better terms

Edit: here, educate yourself

I guess misinformation effect worked out for me today, thank you!

Laptops usually aren't the best in outputting heat, while some models are, usually it's not a good idea unless it's ventilated well.

Yes, mining will damage your gpu or maybe entire system, since it's not made to be running at 100% all the time. Gaming also can damage the gpu, but much less, it's more like it's wearing out. In gaming it's not at 100% all the time, since the cpu is also doing work. The gpu still has room to breathe since let's say in loading screens or cutscenes, less work has to be done.

In a laptop which you mine with, your gpu performance will degrade over time. Also the thermal paste will wear out. Plastic parts can also get really hot and laptop heatsinks are pretty tiny as there are not full-size case fans too.

Basically the point is, mine if you want to right now and don't care about the consequences. Don't mine if you still plan using your laptop normally for the next couple of years.

Threads merged. Please only post once.

No thread dumping (posting a thread in the wrong section). Check the forum for the most appropriate location for your thread before posting.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450