Looking for Recommendations on upgrading my current build for After Effects work.

jtmomos

Budget (including currency): 500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily After Effects, not much gaming

Other details : Hey guys, lately my job has been requiring lots of special effects work and editing in after effects, and my old i5 4460k is no longer keeping up. I am wondering if my current build can be salvaged with some upgraded ram and maybe an i7-4790k, or do I need to start mostly from scratch? My current build is on a z97 msi g45 motherboard, has a 1tb ssd and 16 gigabytes of 2133 ram, and a 1660ti in it. I do lots of work with trapcode on after effects amongst other things, and my computer will render around 1 fps on lighter after effects projects. How big of an upgrade would a i7 4790k be? Do I need another 16gb's of ram? Or does workload I have justify a brand new build? Thanks for any input!

9 minutes ago, jtmomos said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily After Effects, not much gaming

Other details : Hey guys, lately my job has been requiring lots of special effects work and editing in after effects, and my old i5 4460k is no longer keeping up. I am wondering if my current build can be salvaged with some upgraded ram and maybe an i7-4790k, or do I need to start mostly from scratch? My current build is on a z97 msi g45 motherboard, has a 1tb ssd and 16 gigabytes of 2133 ram, and a 1660ti in it. I do lots of work with trapcode on after effects amongst other things, and my computer will render around 1 fps on lighter after effects projects. How big of an upgrade would a i7 4790k be? Do I need another 16gb's of ram? Or does workload I have justify a brand new build? Thanks for any input!

Get an entirely new build. 
I'd say get as much as cores for cpu, preferably ryzen 5700x/ 5900x.

Get a descent motherboard, i'd invest at least 150+USD as per your post I see that you're a long term user, so investing in a good motherboard will lengthen components' lifespan. Asus or MSI would be a go to.

As for gpu, Adobe AE is mostly cpu bound, so the 1660ti you have should be adequate to support any gpu work.

Heyo!

For After Effects you're going to be heavily CPU and memory bound. You will want to go with a new board, CPU, and memory, but otherwise it should be fine.

If you can't stretch budget much, go for a 5600X, 16GB of DDR4 3200, and a B550 or B450 board (will probably require a BIOS update.)

If you can stretch a bit, there is a slight benefit to getting a 5700X or 5900X, but it's not a linear scale-up with cores and the returns diminish very quickly after the 5600X (unless you use the C4D Renderer or RenderGarden). After Effects is HEAVILY single-threaded for a majority of tasks. I do a lot of personal work in AE and the 5600X has been an amazing investment for me.

You could also save a few bucks by grabbing a 3600, still an incredibly competent CPU for the Adobe Suite, and what I was previously using.

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

23 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

Get an entirely new build. 
I'd say get as much as cores for cpu, preferably ryzen 5700x/ 5900x.

Get a descent motherboard, i'd invest at least 150+USD as per your post I see that you're a long term user, so investing in a good motherboard will lengthen components' lifespan. Asus or MSI would be a go to.

As for gpu, Adobe AE is mostly cpu bound, so the 1660ti you have should be adequate to support any gpu work.

Thanks for the response. I guess my build is getting pretty old at this point and could go out on me any day now anyways. Is it worth while to spend the extra money for something like a 5700x over the 3700x?

45 minutes ago, jtmomos said:

Keep an eye on FB Marketplace and other location.

People are selling brand new builds without the GPUs for very reasonable money.  They're buying cyberpower, or other, pre-builts, taking the GPU and flipping the rest of the box at a "loss" to get ahold of a GPU at all.

2 minutes ago, jtmomos said:

Thanks for the response. I guess my build is getting pretty old at this point and could go out on me any day now anyways. Is it worth while to spend the extra money for something like a 5700x over the 3700x?

IPC jump in 5700x is quite good, if you're some whose having head scratches for 50 less points in Cinebench.
In a workflow like yours, I'd get a 3700x if the price deficit is good enough to get me something better for my my build rather than giving it out in the newer one.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

Keep an eye on FB Marketplace and other location.

People are selling brand new builds without the GPUs for very reasonable money.  They're buying cyberpower, or other, pre-builts, taking the GPU and flipping the rest of the box at a "loss" to get ahold of a GPU at all.

I just wanna see their faces when etherium hits on the floor

2 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

I just wanna see their faces when etherium hits on the floor

it's not just miners, Gamers are doing it just to get a 3070.