What to learn next?

Dillpickle23422

I am nearly done learning javascript, what programming language should be my next? I want to start off easier and work my way up the list skill wise. Any suggestions?

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

Preface: I was a programmer.

Language you should learn next: Assembly.

You may laugh, but hear me out...

If you can learn Assembly, then anything that comes after that, will be a cakewalk in comparison.

Granted, you will have gone insane by that time, so it won't really matter but the point is valid.

If you want the "easy" route, I'd say Java, but it all depends on what you want to do with the languages you wish to learn. Rust and Python are very popular right now.  

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Preface: I was a programmer.

Language you should learn next: Assembly.

You may laugh, but hear me out...

If you can learn Assembly, then anything that comes after that, will be a cakewalk in comparison.

Granted, you will have gone insane by that time, so it won't really matter but the point is valid.

If you want the "easy" route, I'd say Java, but it all depends on what you want to do with the languages you wish to learn. Rust and Python are very popular right now.  

Do you know of a good course to learn Assembly?

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

Just now, Dillpickle23422 said:

Do you know of a good course to learn Assembly?

Oh lord no. I was joshing with you. Assembly is a terrible language to learn. It was valid eons ago when you needed to squeeze every last drop of performance form a mainframe, but these days with multi core multi Ghz CPUs, it's pointless.

I mean...look at this code:

Motorola_6800_Assembly_Language.png

Only lunatics voluntarily learn Assembly (source: I was one of those lunatics)

But if you *really* want to....

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/assembly_programming/assembly_tutorial.pdf

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Oh lord no. I was joshing with you. Assembly is a terrible language to learn. It was valid eons ago when you needed to squeeze every last drop of performance form a mainframe, but these days with multi core multi Ghz CPUs, it's pointless.

Motorola_6800_Assembly_Language.png

haha ok, maybe I'll learn it if I REALLY feel like it. I took a look at it and it looks very, shall we say, time consuming, at the least

8 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

I am nearly done learning javascript

I'm not sure that's how it works. What does that even mean?

Typescript  is a nice extension of JS. Makes it manageable.

ಠ_ಠ

Just now, shadow_ray said:

I'm not sure that's how it works. What does that even mean?

Typescript  is a nice extension of JS. Makes it manageable.

I mean I want to move on to bigger and more useful coding languages, not saying javascript isn't useful, but I want to expand my knowledge

3 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

time consuming, at the least

Quite. It's a low-level language, no interpreter between you and the bare-metal. You are talking the language of the hardware directly, nothing so fancy as "normal" english words.

But damn the code was fast....and very very small.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Quite. It's a low-level language, no interpreter between you and the bare-metal. You are talking the language of the hardware directly, nothing so fancy as "normal" english words.

But damn the code was fast....and very very small.

Once I become less of a "newbie" to coding, I'd love to at least try it, it's a nice accomplishment. I'd probably drive myself insane, but I think it's kinda cool going that low down. Some day 🙂

39 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

what programming language should be my next?

Is there anything that interests you in particular? Let's say making games or building robots or something?

ಠ_ಠ

48 minutes ago, shadow_ray said:

Is there anything that interests you in particular? Let's say making games or building robots or something?

I'd like to make games or programs, not a robot or smthn yet

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Is it sad I enjoyed learning assembly? Still very useful for embedded applications, not that you would write your entire program in it but certain sections where its tight and you have a single core MCU thats running at like 40MHz. Or even being able to look directly at what is being produced by a section of C or C++ code can still be very useful for optimization. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Just now, trag1c said:

Is it sad I enjoyed learning assembly? Still very useful for embedded applications, not that you would write your entire program in it but certain sections where its tight and you have a single core MCU thats running at like 40MHz. Or even being able to look directly at what is being produced by a section of C or C++ code can still be very useful for optimization. 

One thing I have learned about programming Assembly, never look the programmer in the eye. Just agree with them and back away slowly 🤪

Just joshing with you, yes, for tiny embedded things, Assembly is awesome for, but I put down my programmer hat a long long time ago, and while that are some things I've wished I could program, I don't really want to take up that role again.

I'm content (speaking of crazy people) to be a fetish photographer, less programming involved 🤣

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Java isn't easy. OOP usually give beginners huge headaches. Python and js have classes and objects but these are much simpler compare to the interfaces and abstract classes found in java. 

Being weakly type also means fundamental features of oop like polymorphism will be one less thing to confuse beginners. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I think I learned things backwards, but ultimately it made me a better programmer.  My path was C -> C++ -> Assembly -> Java -> Matlab -> Javascript -> python.  I have dabbled with c#, but it was in a brief but weird time in my life where I thought I might actually go back to windows.  

I have professionally worked with c, c++, and java.  The only time I used assembly was at a hackathon for an embedded project.  I have a love/hate relationship with javascript, mostly because it feels like there are so many fundamental parts missing.  I LOVE Matlab and it is just so dang useful.  

If you want to actually learn the fundamentals of programming and understand what is happening, you should really learn c / c++.  Learn pointers, memory allocation and how that all works.  Build the constructors and destructors for your objects, learn how inheritance / multiple inheritance works, abstract classes and functions, polymorphism, and and and lions and tigers and bears oh my!  

Ultimately, I guess it depends on where you want to fall on the coder [ --- ] programmer spectrum.  There is nothing wrong with just being a coder.

51 minutes ago, wasab said:

Java isn't easy

After Assembly, everything is easy!

I was going to suggest Pascal or FORTRAN to the OP, but I figured like COBOL, they aren't widely used anymore and thus of limited commercial (or even fun) value, so my next thought was Java, for Minecraft and the like.

12 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

After Assembly, everything is easy!

I was going to suggest Pascal or FORTRAN to the OP, but I figured like COBOL, they aren't widely used anymore and thus of limited commercial (or even fun) value, so my next thought was Java, for Minecraft and the like.

i dont see assembly difficult, it is just tedious. you will need to write a lot more lines of code to do some simple things. On top of that, it is not very readable. Nowadays, a compiler is probably better at writing assembly code from a higher language source files than humans, even performance wise. Try setting optimization to level Ofast when compiling with GCC. I bet my money that the compiler will spit out more optimized code than over 90% of the novice-med level as well as decent number of senior assembly porgrammers out there. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

this is Harvard University's Introduction to Computer Science course -- you can audit it for free or pay a small amount and get a certificate (the certificate is not from Harvard, but is from edx and is pretty useless)

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

you'll learn C for the first 5 weeks, then python for a couple of weeks and then sql 

the course is not easy -- C is not an easy language and the course moves fast

if you want easy do 

Automate the Boring Stuff with Python 
https://automatetheboringstuff.com/

the authour has made the entire book free on that website

he also put the course on udemy (it costs a small amount, but he makes the course free the first week of every month)     
he usually makes a post on reddit learnprogramming or learnpython announcing the free coupon code

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, Dillpickle23422 said:

I am nearly done learning javascript, what programming language should be my next? I want to start off easier and work my way up the list skill wise. Any suggestions?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean with "nearly done learning javascript" ?
So you know everything about javascript? Or that you can code anything in javascript?

On 4/29/2021 at 3:20 PM, Dillpickle23422 said:

I mean I want to move on to bigger and more useful coding languages, not saying javascript isn't useful, but I want to expand my knowledge

You should probably take a look at some of the most popular/common programming languages (maybe python, Java, C/C++), look what they are commonly used for and what their strengths and weaknesses are and the make the decision yourself.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:48 PM, Jeday said:

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean with "nearly done learning javascript" ?
So you know everything about javascript? Or that you can code anything in javascript?

You should probably take a look at some of the most popular/common programming languages (maybe python, Java, C/C++), look what they are commonly used for and what their strengths and weaknesses are and the make the decision yourself.

when I say I'm nearly done learning javascript, I mean my class is coming to an end on it, and want to know what to learn next