Cold Wars: Right to Repair needed for McDonald's Ice Cream Machines

asquirrel

Summary

The need for Right to Repair extends even to McDonald's Ice Cream machines. A franchise requirement to use a specific Taylor ice cream maker gives Taylor a monopoly and McDonald's doesn't care because the franchises bear the burden of the cost, rather than McDonald's itself. The company that made and sold a tool to help the problem gets shuttered.

Quotes

That the food-equipment giant Taylor sells the McFlurry-squirting devices to McDonald’s restaurant owners for about $18,000 each, and yet it keeps the machines’ inner workings secret from them. What's more, Taylor maintains a network of approved distributors that charge franchisees thousands of dollars a year for pricey maintenance contracts, with technicians on call to come and tap that secret passcode into the devices sitting on their counters.

The secret menu reveals a business model that goes beyond a right-to-repair issue, O’Sullivan argues. It represents, as he describes it, nothing short of a milkshake shakedown: Sell franchisees a complicated and fragile machine. Prevent them from figuring out why it constantly breaks. Take a cut of the distributors’ profit from the repairs.

My thoughts

Technically not my thought, but: The problem with right to repair, and the fact that you don't own anything, is already so far ingrained in society that the meme of "Just don't buy Apple" doesn't work. Even business-to-business contracts are infected with this cancer. The real way to make progress with Right to Repair is to make it, effectively, impossible to have a large business that even has the kind of leverage needed to pull off such a monopoly. But, I'll settle for schematics, board views, and access to component-level parts.

Sources

https://www.wired.com/story/they-hacked-mcdonalds-ice-cream-makers-started-cold-war/

The darn McDonalds ice cream dispensers are always broken. I don't expect much

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

<-- Moved to Off Topic -->

While we can all agree it sucks to go try and get an ice cream cone or McFlurry and the ice cream machines always seem to be broken, this doesn't fall into the "Tech News" category. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

22 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

always seem to be broken

It's always time I go to eat, and it's that 1 in 100 chance they aren't broken

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page