Matching Motherboard for Ryzen 5 3600

Go to solution Solved by Tech87,

Yes, the max indicates support for Ryzen 3000 series.
That specific board doesn't have any ARGB headers, but you said RGB doesn't concern you, so that's not an issue.

The B450 Tomahawk is known to be one of the better boards for that chipset.

It's a solid choice.

Budget (including currency): ~ 300€ (including CPU for 178€)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CSGO, Rainbow Six Siege, CIV 6, AC, Metro, Wolfenstein, etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Case: NZXT S340 Razor Edition

GPU: EVGA Gaming GTX 1060 6GB

PSU: beQuiet Pure Power 10 600W

Old CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 (4 Cores, 4 Threads)

RAM: 2x Crusial Ballistix Sports 8GB DDR4-2400 (not sure to keep it or to upgrade)

Resolution 2x 2560x1440 at 120Hz

I do not know a lot about motherboards and chipsets so I do not know what to look for. I do not need WiFi nor RGB.

Not really. If the motherboard would enable it I would try it but I have no need.

You can't go wrong with any B550 motherboard around that price range.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a zen2 architecture, and so if you're not looking to overclock, don't have a gen 4 SSD, and want to save a few bucks,, then I would recommend going with a B450 board, that has all the inputs/outputs you're looking for [# of USB ports, audio ports, etc]

If money isn't an object, and you want some future upgradability, then you could do as @SupaKomputa has suggested, and go with a B550 board. [Supports Zen 3 cpus, offers PCIE 4.0 speeds, as well as other advantages as well].

A few notable comparisons here;
AMD B450 vs B550: A Comparison of Budget Ryzen Motherboards | Hardware Times

NOTE - It appears some B450 boards will be getting support for Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, but a bios update may be needed to enable, and if the board doesn't have bios flashback, that could be a challenge, as you would need to insert an older AM4 chip first, perform the bios update, then install the ryzen 5000 series chip afterwards. [if you ever have a plan of upgrading in the future]

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Is something like the MSI Gaming B450 Tomahawk Max motherboard a valid choise? I have read something about incompatability with B450 boards because the 3. Gen Ryzen is newer. I have no clue what mobo specs I need to compare.

Yes, the max indicates support for Ryzen 3000 series.
That specific board doesn't have any ARGB headers, but you said RGB doesn't concern you, so that's not an issue.

The B450 Tomahawk is known to be one of the better boards for that chipset.

It's a solid choice.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

Yeah that will be great if you don't need b550 features like pcie4, more sata and usb ports, dual m.2 or maybe 3.

B550 is newer and have more features, but B450 will have no problem running that cpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I would recommend using a Gigabyte B550 AORUS Pro AC AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard, it’s pretty universal. It’s the Jacks of all trades, if in the future you want to upgrade the CPU you can go to Ryzen 5000 series. It should cost around $225