Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite Power Delivery

Go to solution Solved by Haro,
11 hours ago, Bajeetas said:

(planning to use Ryzen 5 3600) How has anybody's OCing been so far? What were your results? Thanks

The board is good enough for a 3600, with an OC or not. 

11 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

It should be able to run basically everything up to a 3900x/5800x to the cpu's limit.

What? 

The B450 Aorus Elite has 4 4C10N and 8 4C06N Discrete Mosfets with a joke of a heatsink, and absolutely can't handle a maxed out 12 core. 

I am putting a build together for a friend and I am wondering about the power delivery and overclocking potential of this board in particular. (planning to use Ryzen 5 3600) How has anybody's OCing been so far? What were your results? Thanks

Just now, Bajeetas said:

I am putting a build together for a friend and I am wondering about the power delivery and overclocking potential of this board in particular. How has anybody's OCing been so far? What were your results? Thanks

It's not bad, you should be able to max out most chips on it. Vrms are... actually, I dn't know off the top of my head, and the vrm spreadsheet is wonk right now, so I can't tell you that. From other reviews that I've seen at least, It should be able to run basically everything up to a 3900x/5800x to the cpu's limit. In other words, It's likely fine. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

11 hours ago, Bajeetas said:

(planning to use Ryzen 5 3600) How has anybody's OCing been so far? What were your results? Thanks

11 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

It should be able to run basically everything up to a 3900x/5800x to the cpu's limit.

What? 

The B450 Aorus Elite has 4 4C10N and 8 4C06N Discrete Mosfets with a joke of a heatsink, and absolutely can't handle a maxed out 12 core. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 hours ago, Haro said:

What? 

To think you'd say all it could handle is a 3600.... lol.... 
VRM heatsinks look totally fine for what it's worth. 4c10N's and 8 4C0N's should be good for chips far past the 3600. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

51 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

To think you'd say all it could handle is a 3600.... lol.... 

When did I say that exactly? All I said is that it definitely cannot handle a maxed out 12 core. 

52 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

VRM heatsinks look totally fine for what it's worth.

It's mostly plastic, it looks large, but in reality, the Aluminum part is only a small portion of it.  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

• 5 months later...
On 4/24/2021 at 7:15 PM, Haro said:

It's mostly plastic, it looks large, but in reality, the Aluminum part is only a small portion of it.  

im sorry but.... what? what portion exactly? because i own this motherboard and i can garuntee the heatsink is alumnium throughout. dont know what you've been readingin your spair time.....

On 10/6/2021 at 11:50 AM, THED173 said:

because i own this motherboard and i can garuntee the heatsink is alumnium throughout.

...I'm not sure why you're bothering to necro an old thread that has already been answered. 

But: How exactly can you guarantee that? If you're answer is by "feeling" it, then that isn't credible enough to be actually taken seriously. 

Untitled.png.458fc22a9eef2afbf931efa4c754aada.png

(Source: Gigabyte's site) 

Pictured above is the B450 Aorus Elite, what's outlined in black is the actual aluminum heatsink and the rest -outlined in orange- is just a plastic fashion accessory. 

Further proof would be looking at the B450 Gaming X: 

(Source: Gigabyte's site) 

Above is the B450 Gaming X, which heatsink is the exact same as the B450 Aorus Elite, minus the plastic fluff and as it's clearly seen, it's an incredibly small heatsink. 

Another would be looking at the B450 Aorus Elite (Or even the Aorus Pro for that matter) to easily tell that that "heatsink" is mostly just a big plastic heat insulator. 

GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi: A Second Gen Mid-Range Motherboard

(Source: Anandtech:https://www.anandtech.com/show/12982/gigabyte-b450-aorus-pro-wifi-a-second-gen-midrange-motherboard)

While yes, this is admittedly the B450 Aorus Pro -which heatsink is still technically somewhat better than the Elite's-, same thing applies, the actual heatsink is only a small portion of what's shown from a top down angle. 

Another thing would be this board's performance, while yes, it doesn't have the highest end of power delivery (4C10N on the Hi-Side and 4C06N on the Low-Side) you'd expect the board to perform significantly better -temperature wise-   if all that heatsink was, in fact, aluminum, but in reality it isn't, most of it is just a plastic heat insulator to give first impressions on the heatsink as being larger than what it actually is, because in practice, the board performed like utter garbage for what it was priced at. 

Build Log: 

On 10/6/2021 at 4:50 AM, THED173 said:

im sorry but.... what? what portion exactly? because i own this motherboard and i can garuntee the heatsink is alumnium throughout. dont know what you've been readingin your spair time.....

Haha, very funny, quite helpful.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S