Help! Ryzen pcie 4 explained b550 vs x570

Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

B550 AND X570 will both support PCIe 4.0 for the first 16x slot and the first M.2 slot.

So as long as you only plan to have a 4.0 GPU and 1 SSD, then both chipsets will perform the same here.

With B550 the rest of your slots will be PCIe 3.0.

With X570 all expansion slots are PCIe 4.0.

Basically X570 only becomes relevant once you need more 4.0 expansion that 1 GPU and SSD.

I'll keep this short and to the point.

I keep my stuff for a long time coming from 1st Gen ryzen to ryzen 3 3950x I have 90 days to find a ryzen 5000 and get a full refund on the part so it might be ryzen 5000 but the world sucks. 

I'm between asus tuff x570 and asus rog strix b550 

QUESTION when I upgrade to a pcie 4.0 gpu and use it x16 will m.2 still be pcie 4.0? 

SO can both boards support at least 1 gpu pcie 4.0 x16 AND pcie 4.0 m.2 x4 at the same time or is that only for x570? 

Question two what board would you get the tuff x570 or strix b550

I Keep my stuff for a long time and buy high end so in the future I might need pcie 4.0 gpu direct storage is coming so I have a samsung pcie 4.0 m.2 and Samsung 3.0 m.2 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Current set up 

32 gb ram trident z 2x16

1080 ti will upgrade to a 3080 ti launch day if not I give up and will wait for 1-2 more Gen gpu

ryzen 9 3950x unless I can get a 5000 part within 90 days

samsung m.2 pcie 4.0

Samsung m.2 pcie 3.0

Samsung ssd x2

Bonus I do NOT plan on getting a new cpu and board (unless forced by games) until ryzen 9-10 Gen or so  

The b550 board offers you 20 pcie 4.0 lanes which come directly from your cpu. That is enough to support a graphics card and pcie drive. Everything else (wifi adaptors, second m.2 slots) will run at pcie 3.0 speeds which is fine because unless you have 2 gen 4 drives it doesn’t matter. Just make sure to put the 4.0 m.2 at the higher m.2 slot closer to the cpu.

9 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

The b550 board offers you 20 pcie 4.0 lanes which come directly from your cpu. That is enough to support a graphics card and pcie drive. Everything else (wifi adaptors, second m.2 slots) will run at pcie 3.0 speeds which is fine because unless you have 2 gen 4 drives it doesn’t matter. Just make sure to put the 4.0 m.2 at the higher m.2 slot closer to the cpu.

Thank you. I remember during reviews some boards had 1 pcie 4.0 some had more, some could do 2 4.0 but disabled stuff and amd charts are far from helpful. Thank you!

B550 AND X570 will both support PCIe 4.0 for the first 16x slot and the first M.2 slot.

So as long as you only plan to have a 4.0 GPU and 1 SSD, then both chipsets will perform the same here.

With B550 the rest of your slots will be PCIe 3.0.

With X570 all expansion slots are PCIe 4.0.

Basically X570 only becomes relevant once you need more 4.0 expansion that 1 GPU and SSD.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.